Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfc_forever

Set pieces

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....do you really believe that they work on set pieces!!!

We see a repetition of the same thing game after game, do we honestly believe that they put any real thinking, in that set pieces are in any way an asset. 

When Youri came initially there were training ground moves with him and Maddison greatly involved you might see  occasionally a move which does not come off but I can not see any evidence that we have spent any time attempting to improve in this department.

We constantly hit the near post on corners, I would say seven times out of ten corners go that way, why do we not put someone a good ten yards infront of the near post which would draw a defender to him, creating a space that could then be attacked by a second player on our team attack the space now vacated at the near post. If the original player is not marked up as viewed to be in a place ineffective to cause danger, then any slight contact made would leave no time for adjustments of Goalkeepers or defenders, potential own goals are a reality. 

No, I don’t think they work on them. 

But sounds like Rodgers finally realises it needs addressing. 

Read that players generally don’t like practicing then and prefer open play drills   - you can imagine with the types of players we have that they have that attitude. 

But around a fifth of goals, excluding penalties, are from set pieces. 

6 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

Read that players generally don’t like practicing then and prefer open play drills   - you can imagine with the types of players we have that they have that attitude. 

...if that is true, does that mean that Rodgers is pandering to them?

What kind of setup allows players to have a say in such a pivotal area. I am now pretty worried if this is true that he allows himself to be influenced in this way, perhaps if they spent more time on set pieces and did not overdose on the open play drills they might be giving a less stale performances. 

What else are they not focusing on, if this is their attitude to player and squad development.

41 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...if that is true, does that mean that Rodgers is pandering to them?

What kind of setup allows players to have a say in such a pivotal area. I am now pretty worried if this is true that he allows himself to be influenced in this way, perhaps if they spent more time on set pieces and did not overdose on the open play drills they might be giving a less stale performances. 

What else are they not focusing on, if this is their attitude to player and squad development.

Wasn’t referring to our players necessarily not liking practising set pieces but have read it’s a general issue for clubs. 

You get the impression that Rodgers would rather we beat a team through open play given his footballing philosophy. He’s already shown he can adapt, such as the approach vs Man City. 

Hope he shows the same evolution on set pieces. 

1 hour ago, lcfc_forever said:

Good job Tony Pullis isn't the manager then!

Perhaps those that want to take them on match day should have to have a competitive set peice delivery contest in training, winner gets to take them on match day. If Maddison then doesn't perform well in training he can scuttle off until he improves and relinquish his position that week to the best option. If he's not performing and he's not been doing, it's only sensible that someone else is given an opportunity. No room for egos or sentiment, you need to earn the right.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Good job Tony Pullis isn't the manager then!

Perhaps those that want to take them on match day should have to have a competitive set peice delivery contest in training, winner gets to take them on match day. If Maddison then doesn't perform well in training he can scuttle off until he improves and relinquish his position that week to the best option. If he's not performing and he's not been doing, it's only sensible that someone else is given an opportunity. No room for egos or sentiment, you need to earn the right.

...someone posted recently that Thomas should take the free kicks or corners!!!

Probably not a bad decision, he has very good technique and the confidence to implement. A bit like Burnley's  Mcneil, Very Accurate and has the intelligence, where to deliver the ball.

• Like 2

Those stats. They confirm what we (or anyone) watching Leicester know. Why can't they sort this out at the club? That is down to bad bad bad coaching (for set pieces). You can't blame the players (except for Madders it seems) for that. 

For my peace of mind -Was it Under, not Maddison, who took possibly the worst corner I have ever seen at the end of the Fulham match?

Edited by trabuch
  • Like 1

Just now, Fish said:

What happened to a good 70s style near post flick on ? Also direct free kicks , what happened to shifting it for a footing shot on target . SIMPLE. Try it br if you are reading this !

Add to that necessity is the mother of invention. Surprise us boys !

7 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I am disappointed... but not surprised 

I mean, I knew we were sh!t at them (just not to the extent of being the worst in the league) but I always assumed that it was something ALL clubs worked on, especially being so poor at them. That's disgracefull. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I'm actually stunned to learn they don't practice set pieces.... 

...I have suspected before that there appear to be elements of the game that there is little or no attention we focus on!!!

We see the same decisions taken by players and we repeat the same actions over and over and fail to make any adjustments and it is rinse and repeat.

5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I have suspected before that there appear to be elements of the game that there is little or no attention we focus on!!!

We see the same decisions taken by players and we repeat the same actions over and over and fail to make any adjustments and it is rinse and repeat.

I wonder what else we dont practice.... taking and defending corners?

3 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I'm actually stunned to learn they don't practice set pieces.... 

I don't know whether they do or don't practice them but the evidence suggests if they actually do practice, it's in a very limited way because:

1. Our record this season on set pieces is so poor

2. Players generally don't like practicing them. Given Rodgers' philosophy and the types of creative players we have, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case 

3. Sounds like there is less training anyway given the quick turnaround in fixtures

They've got to find the time to sort this. Like most things, it's something that would get better with practice. Appreciate we have challenges given the size of our players (and Ndidi's return will help significantly) but we can be far more creative and innovative than we have been with corners and free kicks. 

Mladen Sormaz was formerly at StatsBomb who we’re now partnered with and they run set piece courses. The expertise is there so it’s down to the management to instigate change. As far as I’m aware it’s normally Stowell that does set pieces and if that’s the case obviously he’s just not good at coaching them.

Maddison’s delivery isn’t good enough and we don’t seem to try different routines enough. Definitely a big area we can improve - Midtjylland won the Danish league a few years back basically because they aggressively targeted set pieces. There’s a huge edge to be gained here 

• Like 3

I have to admit, we are pretty crap at these, maybe we'd be better if Soyunchu was fit, I don't know.

Why we pump the ball into their box from free kicks from just inside their half I don't understand. We just don't have the height and it seems a bit alien to Rodgers philosophy.