Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfc_forever

Set pieces

After that performance, an obvious thread to start.

Been thinking about this for some time how poor we are offensively from set pieces. Today, we were shocking defensively as well. 

Time and time again, our corners and free kicks were easily cleared and sometimes we were in danger of the counter-attack. Maddison's delivery has been usually poor. 

They are such an efficient, cheap way to score goals yet for some reason, we haven't seen them as a priority. 

A brilliant team like Liverpool clearly work on them to get to the level they're at. 

Big supporter of Rodgers but this is a huge blindspot, and has been for some time. 

Edited by lcfc_forever
  • Like 2

I don't think our team is set up for winning aerial battles hence why we always tend to try short intricate set pieces. It's just a shame that all of our set Pieces end up with Kasper who then kicks it out of play with his Coalville esque club foot. 

• Haha 1

I think it’s more balls in the air into the box in general. I’d say 80% of the goals we’ve conceded have been directly from crosses or a crosses we haven’t cleared properly. We’re definitely missing big Wes in that sense and that’s why he sometimes comes on in the late stage of a game when we’re winning. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Corners are properly shit. When a lot of teams win a corner you can see that it means there is a real chance of a goal. When we win a corner I get up to put the kettle on.

This is what I don't get.

Rodgers gets a lot of praise from the players for his coaching, and rightly so from what we've seen from open play, but he hasn't got it right for us on set pieces, especially offensively.  We've got so many creative, technically gifted players - Maddison, Tielemans, Under etc - but time and time again, corners don't clear the first man or are easily cleared.

Sort this and it will make a huge difference for us. He's adapted his tactics to success vs Man City, this would be the next big step in Rodgers' evolution as a manager. 

Edited by lcfc_forever
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Corners are properly shit. When a lot of teams win a corner you can see that it means there is a real chance of a goal. When we win a corner I get up to put the kettle on.

Really not true. Only 1 in 29 corners lead to a goal within 10 seconds of it being taken. Statistically its more likely fir the defending to to  score on the break.