Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfc_forever

Set pieces

As we like to play the ball out from the back rather than just kick it forward and risk losing possession, I'm surprised we do it at corners when we lose possession more often than not and put ourselves at risk of a breakaway which has happened this season. Someone posted that statistically corners don't lead to many direct goals anyway and even less for us. It would make more sense to take them short and try to work something, even if we didn't make a chance it would work better for us defensively.

I remember we did go through a stage of being quite inventive. I can't remember exactly which game it was but may be the 9.0 Southampton when we worked one of the best short corner moves I've ever seen a team play. Even the commentator said why show such a brilliantly worked on routing when you're cruising a game? keep it secret for when your strugling to break a team down.

I've got to the stage that I think a corner for us is more a threat of us conceding than scoring.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

The problem as I see it is, if you're not very good at taking set pieces, you won't be very good at defending them, since you'll only get to practice against your team mates... who aren't very good at set pieces.

An entirely underrated post (up until now at least) - immutable logic.

• Like 3

On 07/12/2020 at 15:00, Trav Le Bleu said:

The problem as I see it is, if you're not very good at taking set pieces, you won't be very good at defending them, since you'll only get to practice against your team mates... who aren't very good at set pieces.

But we are good at defending as proved last season so it must be down to the personnel we have missing and not down to training ground short comings.

this is a snapshot of this time last year

Not sure why I couldn’t cut n paste that being a techno biff

D6FFBBFA-8F13-45C6-B33D-05DCFF396F81.webp

Edited by BKLFox

On 07/12/2020 at 15:21, messerschmitt said:

As we like to play the ball out from the back rather than just kick it forward and risk losing possession, I'm surprised we do it at corners when we lose possession more often than not and put ourselves at risk of a breakaway which has happened this season. Someone posted that statistically corners don't lead to many direct goals anyway and even less for us. It would make more sense to take them short and try to work something, even if we didn't make a chance it would work better for us defensively.

I remember we did go through a stage of being quite inventive. I can't remember exactly which game it was but may be the 9.0 Southampton when we worked one of the best short corner moves I've ever seen a team play. Even the commentator said why show such a brilliantly worked on routing when you're cruising a game? keep it secret for when your strugling to break a team down.

I've got to the stage that I think a corner for us is more a threat of us conceding than scoring.

I can only conclude that Brendan reads this forum and decided to take this onboard.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

I can only conclude that Brendan reads this forum and decided to take this onboard.

Lots of positives from yesterday's match but this was another one that stood out. 

Yes, we have shorter players but no use moaning about that. Instead, better to try something different and the short corners worked really well. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

...I was thinking the same thing, when he played the first short corner!!!

It is one big coincidence that after all the talk on this forum that suddenly after how many years, they choose now to address this issue.

It was great to see that just a conversation between players could lead to such a fundamental change, proving that the came can be simplified and stops us being so predictable. 

• Like 1

I think statistically 3.5% of corners lead to goals.  That means, for us to be par we would have had to have conceded 200 corners so far, or one every 5 minutes or so. 

I can't find the stat for how many corners have been awarded against us but the average for the season so far is about 70.  That means we concede from about 10% of corners making us about 3 times worse at defending corners than average.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, murphy said:

I think statistically 3.5% of corners lead to goals.  That means, for us to be par we would have had to have conceded 200 corners so far, or one every 5 minutes or so. 

I can't find the stat for how many corners have been awarded against us but the average for the season so far is about 70.  That means we concede from about 10% of corners making us about 3 times worse at defending corners than average.

To make it worse I don't think we've scored direct from a corner since the Evans header against Villa away in December last year. Or I have forgotten one? Considering we generally get a lot of corners that is shockingly bad.

3 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

The worry is we're showing no signs of improving and everyone has cottoned on as to how bad we are too. It needs to change pretty quick

We were better on Sunday.

we had wilf and 2 big centre backs. It makes a difference. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, murphy said:

God I hope you've got those stats wrong cos that's bloody awful!

I dont truly get what the difference is between this and last season. It's not like Soyuncu was imperious in the air and whilst weve not had Ndidi we have had fofana. What are we doing different?

As I mentioned in the post match thread, we have a team full of nice players and we get easily dominated physically. BR knows this tho and probably think technique should prevail.

Attacking corners (usually) other than 2 CB’s and Wilf who else is strong or good in the air.

Same with defending and we have Schmeichel who’s major weakness is commanding his area. Vardy tends to do a half decent job at the near post. I’m not sure what’s changed from last season but things have become worryingly bad.

• Like 1

They all know now that he NEVER comes out. He never catches it, he never punches it - he never leaves his line. NEVER. So they know they can drop it 3 or 4 yards out and it is then who is bigger, who jumps highest or who is cleverer position wise. So mostly them! If he'd have come out and punched it just once, or twice, in the last dozen matches or so it would put some doubt in their minds. BUT NO. it just goes on and on and on like some f****** nightmare carousel.

• Like 2

Need to start leaving 3 up for me, make the opposition have something to think about, and have to leave 4 back. Stops the over crowding in the box immediately. Can’t stand that we’re garbage at defending corners and can’t stand we always feel the need to have all 11 back. Needs to change and quick!!!

• Like 3

On 07/12/2020 at 15:00, Trav Le Bleu said:

Yes I said the same thing a week ago. If Maddison is on set plays in training then we wouldn’t see much of a problem! 

What do they do in training?

Surely the can’t just go to pot on match day? They can’t be that weak surely.

You have to question their day to day work.

As for Under being on the pitch and Maddison still taking them, well it baffles me.

Our corners and set pieces are like some bleeding glitch on fifa or something.

14 hours ago, Clarkielcfc said:

Need to start leaving 3 up for me, make the opposition have something to think about, and have to leave 4 back. Stops the over crowding in the box immediately. Can’t stand that we’re garbage at defending corners and can’t stand we always feel the need to have all 11 back. Needs to change and quick!!!

Yeah thats surprised me, even when we clear it there's no one up there and it comes back until we either concede another corner or goal kick. I'm not sure some players offer much at defending corners anyway, I though we looked better at defending them last night until we conceded from one.

Remember I think it was Shakespeare decided we would leave three up top for defending corners, one being Vardy and it put the frighteners on some teams. I know he can leap well, but for gods sake surely Vardy should be on the oppositions half way line. It is the best chance he will get to run in behind the opposition defence! 

Edited by Gazza M
  • Like 1

Wouldn't it be refreshing if one of our local journalists hit Brendan hard with some of these questions like "how is the set piece practice going as we're still not seeing any improvement?" or why oh "why does Kasper not command his box more aggressively?" I know they don't have much time in these past weeks to train a great deal with games coming thick and fast but this set piece issue surely now has to be a priority! On days like yesterday the team have to and must find some mental steel to stay in the game. We need more leaders who are visible and sensing the danger geeing each other up. We are just mere mortal fans and I know the game is more complicated but the most glaringly obvious issues have to be addressed asap. Jose and spuds will be waiting for us after dropping 3 points yesterday they will badly want a win. Question is will the Foxes rise to the challenge? I think they can and should but follow it up by not dropping their levels in the next game. COYF :scarf:

• Like 1