Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfc_forever

Set pieces

Good article about this in the Athletic.

Obviously won't post it given the forum rules - in summary, Bruno Berner reviews all the goals we've conceded from set pieces and he concludes that we're not being aggressive enough to win the header or responding quickly enough to win the second ball. Points out a couple of times where Tielemans has been flat footed and allowed the runner to get ahead of them.

Teams seem to be matching their most physical players against our weaker players like Tielemans and Maddison, which is no surprise. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lcfc_forever said:

Good article about this in the Athletic.

Obviously won't post it given the forum rules - in summary, Bruno Berner reviews all the goals we've conceded from set pieces and he concludes that we're not being aggressive enough to win the header or responding quickly enough to win the second ball. Points out a couple of times where Tielemans has been flat footed and allowed the runner to get ahead of them.

Teams seem to be matching their most physical players against our weaker players like Tielemans and Maddison, which is no surprise. 

We're pretty pathetic to be fair and he makes a good point. I'm a little surprised to be honest as Kolo Toure was a very decent defender and you'd have thought him an ideal candidate to put things right.

2 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

Wouldn't it be refreshing if one of our local journalists hit Brendan hard with some of these questions like "how is the set piece practice going as we're still not seeing any improvement?" or why oh "why does Kasper not command his box more aggressively?" I know they don't have much time in these past weeks to train a great deal with games coming thick and fast but this set piece issue surely now has to be a priority! On days like yesterday the team have to and must find some mental steel to stay in the game. We need more leaders who are visible and sensing the danger geeing each other up. We are just mere mortal fans and I know the game is more complicated but the most glaringly obvious issues have to be addressed asap. Jose and spuds will be waiting for us after dropping 3 points yesterday they will badly want a win. Question is will the Foxes rise to the challenge? I think they can and should but follow it up by not dropping their levels in the next game. COYF :scarf:

Stringer tried the other day but Brendan got a bit touchy saying "he knew how to resolve it." Thinking he was referring to Ndidi coming back. 

2 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

Huth and Morgan and even Simpson. They knew how to defend set pieces.

Not modern players but they did the ugly side of the game. They enjoyed every header and block they made.

Our players should take a leaf out of their book.

With VAR high wouldn’t get away with some stuff he did.

• Like 3

On 16/12/2020 at 23:33, Clarkielcfc said:

Need to start leaving 3 up for me, make the opposition have something to think about, and have to leave 4 back. Stops the over crowding in the box immediately. Can’t stand that we’re garbage at defending corners and can’t stand we always feel the need to have all 11 back. Needs to change and quick!!!

...it didn't use to be like that!!!

We used to leave a man up at the half way line when defending corners. Vardy is now on our near post and does a good job but that is not where he should be in that instance.

Keeping players upfield means your opponents will have to leave markers incase of breakaways, we could in a sense force their hands into how they approach their corners.

We really need a special teams coach or more appropriately a Coach who works on set piece situations.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

We're pretty pathetic to be fair and he makes a good point. I'm a little surprised to be honest as Kolo Toure was a very decent defender and you'd have thought him an ideal candidate to put things right.

..what if Kolo's fix, contradicts the way Rodgers wishes to play!!!

Arsene Wenger was some years ago beginning to struggle and Arsenal were letting in goals at an alarming rate. Steve Bould was given a greater input into the team by their Board and he concentrated very much on the defensive aspect of the team. Arsenal stop conceding but was now finding it difficult to score, Wenger then took back control in all aspect of the team and it was then you realised that no one but Wenger would have any viable input into the way the team operated.

A manager and his coach/ number 2 needs to have an honest and open relationship and unless you are closed minded you repeat the same problem over and over again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..what if Kolo's fix, contradicts the way Rodgers wishes to play!!!

Arsene Wenger was some years ago beginning to struggle and Arsenal were letting in goals at an alarming rate. Steve Bould was given a greater input into the team by their Board and he concentrated very much on the defensive aspect of the team. Arsenal stop conceding but was now finding it difficult to score, Wenger then took back control in all aspect of the team and it was then you realised that no one but Wenger would have any viable input into the way the team operated.

A manager and his coach/ number 2 needs to have an honest and open relationship and unless you are closed minded you repeat the same problem over and over again.

Good point. I just automatically assumed that if you had someone of his ability he'd be trusted to put things right and you rightly puts another slant on it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

We used to leave a man up at the half way line when defending corners. Vardy is now on our near post and does a good job but that is not where he should be in that instance.

Keeping players upfield means your opponents will have to leave markers incase of breakaways, we could in a sense force their hands into how they approach their corners.

We really need a special teams coach or more appropriately a Coach who works on set piece situations.

Keeping one or even 2 men on the halfway line at oppo corners was a highlighted tactic during our Prem winning season and it was instrumental in reducing the number of tall oppo defenders in our box.  I'm amazed and disappointed that our training staff don't employ it, given that we still have team members and training staff who were here at the time and are aware of its effectiveness.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, deep blue said:

Keeping one or even 2 men on the halfway line at oppo corners was a highlighted tactic during our Prem winning season and it was instrumental in reducing the number of tall oppo defenders in our box.  I'm amazed and disappointed that our training staff don't employ it, given that we still have team members and training staff who were here at the time and are aware of its effectiveness.

...dear I say, another blindspot for Rodgers....or was that a cheap shot!!!

9 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

Delivery from Maddison yesterday was excellent. Felt like that needed to be said given the (fair!) stick he's had for it recently. 

A goal will come I'm sure. If we can get Soyuncu, Vardy, Ndidi, Evans, Fofana all attacking our corners, one has to stick eventually!

It was better, but I'd hardly call it excellent. 

5 hours ago, daddylonglegs said:

Delivery from Maddison yesterday was excellent. Felt like that needed to be said given the (fair!) stick he's had for it recently. 

A goal will come I'm sure. If we can get Soyuncu, Vardy, Ndidi, Evans, Fofana all attacking our corners, one has to stick eventually!

From the highlights, looked like our set pieces were much better.

Defensively, we still looked vulnerable but improving. My concern is Tielemans as he seems to be the player that the opposition are targeting to beat to the ball as he's not doing enough physically to address the threat. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, daddylonglegs said:

...you have got to believe that someone from the club, probably Maddison, reads Foxestalk in view of the recent change in corners being taken!!!

The potential that what we are posting could very well be feeding back to the players. I dread to think what they would make of all this.

12 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...you have got to believe that someone from the club, probably Maddison, reads Foxestalk in view of the recent change in corners being taken!!!

The potential that what we are posting could very well be feeding back to the players. I dread to think what they would make of all this.

It's possible.

But also it's a glaringly obvious area for improvement that you'd think they'd pick up on as professional coaches and footballers, regardless of internet noise.

2 hours ago, Nod.E said:

It's possible.

But also it's a glaringly obvious area for improvement that you'd think they'd pick up on as professional coaches and footballers, regardless of internet noise.

...yes, but how many years has it taken them to get around to looking at it!!!

It maybe obvious to us but not at the top of the list for the coaches and Manager to take a look at. Stringer said the last run between scoring from corners was something like 243, that is some feat!!!

7 hours ago, lcfc_forever said:

From the highlights, looked like our set pieces were much better.

Defensively, we still looked vulnerable but improving. My concern is Tielemans as he seems to be the player that the opposition are targeting to beat to the ball as he's not doing enough physically to address the threat. 

The corners were better (excellent is a stretch).  But defending them was a dumpster fire yet again - Spurs could easily have scored twice off corners.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 1

On 18/12/2020 at 16:09, sacreblueits442 said:

Yes it's silly bringing Vardy all the way back for a Corner. He could occupy at least two defenders on the half way line. And if we put someone on the Wing then they would keep 1 or 2 more back as cover. Especially as he offers very little in a defensive capacity. 

We just need to sign one more Tall quick midfielder in the Summer.

• 1 month later...
On 23/12/2020 at 21:39, Clever Fox said:

Yes it's silly bringing Vardy all the way back for a Corner. He could occupy at least two defenders on the half way line. And if we put someone on the Wing then they would keep 1 or 2 more back as cover. Especially as he offers very little in a defensive capacity. 

We just need to sign one more Tall quick midfielder in the Summer.

I think expecting the opposition to move four men back at a corner is optimistic (and Ancelotti certainly would n't, based on recent Everton) but getting Vardy, Barnes and maybe another couple out of the area of the goal  would imo certainly help our defence (especially Kasper) when the ball arrives. I like it , that is bringing Vardy back sensibly, (see my other heretical post, this thread.) and Barnes should be  the "winger". far enough back to discourage short corners. I don't know their sprint and acceleration times but Barnes must be nearly as fast as Vardy, with or without the ball.. A tall quick midfielder ,who is smart maybe,could be, our best chance of eventually replacing Vardy economically. He ought to be young (almost always good) as well as he'd have to cope with accepting a change of label. Heresy almost in the current football world. 

Chances of it happening. Practically zero. This forum often has good points , mostly mine;-) in my opinion ,all it seems ignored by the club. BR is good (except re Perez, Sunday hopefully has solved that) but probably thinks "inside the box" ,However  he does say he's looking for a midfielder first. And he said it after Vardy's recent injuries. Maybe hopefully he's smart enough to know what Vardy really does which makes replacing him slightly more easy. Knowing the specification is half the battle in successful replacement. We might even have one already who could be re=labelled. I made a point of watching Luton v Chelsea which was n't hugely encouraging but did n't rule him out although he's not tall. but neither is Vardy.I call "tall" six feet and up.

Edited by Alan Frost