Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfc_forever

Set pieces

The reality of it is we are quite a small side. In terms of attacking set pieces we have several players who offer nothing in terms of aerial ability in our current starting 11. If Soyuncu and Ndidi come back into the side, with Fofana, Evans and Vardy, that will change things there. Ditto defensively. 

I think I must be in the minority when I think that our corner delivery isnt that bad. We're generally quite a small team which doesn't help and there was a definite run in the first half of last season when Evan's seemed to be getting a free header from a corner every game but sadly displayed Barnes like finishing ability!  Fofana looks like he has a few headed goals in his locker based on his first few games as well. Defending them though we definitely seem more shakey than most. 

8 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

Someone else should take them for a start but seems no one wants to make that decision.

Spot on. Why does Maddison have to take every set-piece? (until Under came on, anyway). I find it interesting that for England, and now for Chelsea, Chilwell is given some responsibility for set-plays; I don't think he ever took one for us! How many times does Maddison have to hit the first defender before Brendan realises that he might not be the best option for taking corners?

• Like 3

Today wasn't his fault, but Kasper is drek against set pieces and always will be.  We're going to struggle defensively as long as he's the keeper.

As for attacking, Maddison's free kicks can be good but he's truly awful taking corners.  I think we really need to consider Youri or Under when he's on the pitch, because Madders has been dreadful pretty much from day one.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SecretPro said:

Corners are properly shit. When a lot of teams win a corner you can see that it means there is a real chance of a goal. When we win a corner I get up to put the kettle on.

Corners as goal scoring opportunities are completely overvalued by football fans.

Obviously we're not very good at attacking them, but to view them as good goal scoring opportunities that we're simply not taking just doesn't stand up to the data. 

The key stats:

• Only 3% of corners indirectly lead to a goal
  • 40% don't clear the first man
  • Only 16% result in an attempt on goal
  • Only 7% result in an on target attempt on goal
  • Only 1% directly lead to a goal
Edited by Les-TA-Jon
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Corners as goal scoring opportunities are completely overvalued by football fans.

Obviously we're not very good at attacking them, but to view them as good goal scoring opportunities that we're simply not taking just doesn't stand up to the data. 

The key stats:

• Only 0% of corners indirectly lead to a goal
  • 99.5% don't clear the first man
  • Only 0% directly lead to a goal

I've updated those stats for us.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

The key stats:

I'm pretty sure we concede more than 1 in 100 from crosses from corners.

32 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

I'm pretty sure we concede more than 1 in 100 from crosses from corners.

Statistical analysis of the top 5 leagues across europe VS the anecdotal feelings of a few fans 

There's only one winner, right!? 

I'm not making a comment either way if we're good or bad at set pieces offensively or defensively - I'd have to look at the data and compare it with the rest of the league to know. 

My point is that set pieces, and corner kicks in particular are bad opportunities to create chances and score goals - so it's not like we're not capitalising on gilt-edged chances every week. 

2 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Statistical analysis of the top 5 leagues across europe VS the anecdotal feelings of a few fans 

There's only one winner, right!? 

I'm not making a comment either way if we're good or bad at set pieces offensively or defensively - I'd have to look at the data and compare it with the rest of the league to know. 

My point is that set pieces, and corner kicks in particular are bad opportunities to create chances and score goals - so it's not like we're not capitalising on gilt-edged chances every week. 

You can call it anecdotal feelings but I'm pretty sure I saw us concede 2 goals last night from corners and I sure they didn't take 200 to make it the 1 in a 100 statistic.

4 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

The key stats:

16% result in an attempt on goal, so that would roughly equate to an attempt on goal off one corner per game. 

We'd settle for that wouldn't we?

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 1

Obviously we are not prone to what the players are doing in training as regards set pieces but nearly all contributors on this thread are questioning our approach.

I am sorry to say that my initial impression when we get a corner is we won’t hit one of our own players, and when we face a corner about 40% of the time there is panic in and around our six yard box.

So, wouldn’t it be nice to see someone else pitching up to take the corner kick (a la Chilwell at Chelsea).  

I can’t help but feel JM has been given the “go ahead“ to be our corner taker to tickle his ego?  I like JM but his stroll over to take every corner, then one arm in the air really frustrates me.  We have to look at alternatives - there has to be better and surely the players realise that and JM should be one of the first to be supporting the motion.

As regards the defending - I would love to know what the players are doing in training.  Practice makes perfect - my guess (completely unsubstantiated) we are not practicing as much as we should be.  I must be bloody wrong as we couldn’t be this stupid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Collymore said:

16% result in an attempt on goal, so that would roughly equate to an attempt on goal off one corner per game. 

We'd settle for that wouldn't we?

Not when you consider that only 1 in 16 of those shots go in, typically. Most of those shots are headers with a player putting pressure on the shooter and a lot of bodies between them and the goal.