Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TrickyTrev Benjamin

Retro shirts

3 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

I picked mine up for virtually nothing (£5 at most) at an end of season sale at the Churchgate shop (along with a pair of socks of the same colour) as a bit of a joke as the colour was so awful...

The sponsor started peeling off pretty quickly, and it's got a loose thread... 

But I actually love the shirt!

In actual fact, I think it's probably the most worn of all of them. Good for slumming around the house, playing football in, going to the beach and best of all, it can't get any more trashed than it is already! 

I should call myself Golden Fox! (or maybe Coffee / beige / sludge Fox has a better ring to it?) 

Bargain! I like that shirt. I love the grey one with orange trim we had a couple of years ago, but these aren't ideal colours for sports teams. They're hard to pick out against a background of a full stand of fans.

My most worn one is the white away 96-98 one. The white version of the home one you've got in the middle of that picture of your collection. It's still in pretty good nick, except the patches are a bit yellowed and there's a couple of small food/motor oil stains down the front. White is definitely not the best choice for a slumming around shirt!

14 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Bargain! I like that shirt. I love the grey one with orange trim we had a couple of years ago

Must gave similar tastes... I've played football weekly on and off for years, so the drab gold socks I bought as a joke got so much wear, I was gutted when the elastic went... 

So I actually replaced them with those grey socks with the orange trim! (actually 2 pairs!). They are guaranteed to destroy any illusion of a fully matching kit no matter what shirt or shorts they are worn with. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/02/2021 at 15:29, FerrisBueller said:

It’s such a beauty, they’ve updated it now, the shirt without a name is up for 38 quid!

Its just arrived! :scarf:

And I confirm they have replicated the wonky eye (as per the other thread on this shirt):

image.png.f180908e0335ee84fee2cac33bf9dadf.png

However, I'm now a bit confused by what the shirt is... Its seems a very odd choice to pair a home royal blue shirt with a half-navy change strip (particularly as every other Fox Leisure kit was either blue, yellow or white) so I'd always thought it was an historic kit in the same way as the '04 black kit with the white sash.

But according to http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Leicester_City/Leicester_City.htm, although we did have a halved shirt in a lovely chocolate & light blue colour back in 1886-1890, it doesn't look like navy and jade was ever a home kit.

(It could have just been something completely off the wall for the sake of it as there was a bit of that going round in '95-'96 http://www.nhluniforms.com/1995-96/MightyDucks.html & http://www.nhluniforms.com/1995-96/Islanders.html)

Can anyone shed any light on whether this was actually based on any historic kit or just a navy & jade shirt for the hell of it??

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

Its just arrived! :scarf:

And I confirm they have replicated the wonky eye (as per the other thread on this shirt):

image.png.f180908e0335ee84fee2cac33bf9dadf.png

However, I'm now a bit confused by what the shirt is... Its seems a very odd choice to pair a home royal blue shirt with a half-navy change strip (particularly as every other Fox Leisure kit was either blue, yellow or white) so I'd always thought it was an historic kit in the same way as the '04 black kit with the white sash.

But according to http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Leicester_City/Leicester_City.htm, although we did have a halved shirt in a lovely chocolate & light blue colour back in 1886-1890, it doesn't look like navy and jade was ever a home kit.

(It could have just been something completely off the wall for the sake of it as there was a bit of that going round in '95-'96 http://www.nhluniforms.com/1995-96/MightyDucks.html & http://www.nhluniforms.com/1995-96/Islanders.html)

Can anyone shed any light on whether this was actually based on any historic kit or just a navy & jade shirt for the hell of it??

There was a competition to design the third kit. I went to school with the lad who designed it. No idea where he plucked the colour scheme from but he was 10 years old when he designed it.

N.b he could have been fibbing to me but I have no reason to disbelieve him, even after all these years.

59 minutes ago, Incognito said:

There was a competition to design the third kit. I went to school with the lad who designed it. No idea where he plucked the colour scheme from but he was 10 years old when he designed it.

N.b he could have been fibbing to me but I have no reason to disbelieve him, even after all these years.

Thanks - I'd never heard that before.

Better design sense at 10 than whoever designed last year's pink away number... 

Good news, they have starting taking pre orders for the 96-98 white away shirt. The collar is done properly this time around rather then the blue and yellow shirts they released a couple years back with the strange collar. 

Strange ain’t it, from starting this thread moaning about the lack of retro shirts they’re smashing them out now and doing them correct. Just hope the 92/94 shirts comes out next. 

Edited by TrickyTrev Benjamin
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, VinceNoir said:

What’s the fit like on these retro shirts? They’ve just got the navy/jade one back in L and I’m well tempted

EDIT: Forget it. Delivery to Denmark is 25 quid!!

Collar is different but still looks wrong to me.

image.thumb.png.eb99775d75c8d0398285731ead6afb06.png

The white stripe in the collar isn't centered properly and it looks like the collar sticks up quite high on the neck, compared to how it was in reality.

image.png.1e35633a8ce366aab5b9f9c4bc79b9d1.png

3 hours ago, VinceNoir said:

What’s the fit like on these retro shirts? They’ve just got the navy/jade one back in L and I’m well tempted

EDIT: Forget it. Delivery to Denmark is 25 quid!!

If you have anyone that could get it delivered to their place in England and ship it over as a 'gift' it will only set you back about 12 quid for postage. Just had some sent to Denmark this week.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FerrisBueller said:

If you have anyone that could get it delivered to their place in England and ship it over as a 'gift' it will only set you back about 12 quid for postage. Just had some sent to Denmark this week.

Good shout. I might do that

Just want to echo that the running fox is sick and I’d love for it to be on a kit in the future. Def would want some gear with it - they have some stuff in the store now (t shirt, mug, hoodie) but none I like enough to buy. The hoodie would be great but it’s a weird color. 

33 minutes ago, Bats8711 said:

Just want to echo that the running fox is sick and I’d love for it to be on a kit in the future. Def would want some gear with it - they have some stuff in the store now (t shirt, mug, hoodie) but none I like enough to buy. The hoodie would be great but it’s a weird color. 

I definitely prefer our current badge but wouldn't be against a third kit in some funky colour and a retro style with the running fox badge and old adidas trefoil logo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

I definitely prefer our current badge but wouldn't be against a third kit in some funky colour and a retro style with the running fox badge and old adidas trefoil logo.

Some of the US sports do a much better job of having wider branding with multiple logos and incorporating retro logos, which doesn't seem to dilute the core brand.

e.g. most teams in the NHL have a secondary logo which is often used as a shoulder patch & then they can put this as the main logo on a 3rd jersey (and this year, each team has an additional recoloured retro jersey with old logos).

I think there is plenty of scope for this with football clubs, rather than the "just stick the logo on everything".

Personally, I'd like to see exactly what ALC Fox is suggesting - a traditional home and away shirt, but with the 3rd shirt being more experimental - an example of which could be using the old running fox badge as the 3rd shirt badge (or just the foxes' head from the current logo, which I think is a strong enough logo in its own right). I'm aware there is likely a fear that this could confuse new markets and supporters we are trying to reach, but I think sports fans are open enough to recognise more than 1 badge - particularly with something as unique as a fox (maybe Chelsea, Villa, Millwall, Middlesbrough etc may have more worry putting multiple Lions out there, but having said that, Rangers have always managed with a different crest on shirts than their actual club crest).

This may be a bit of a leap from where we are now, but given the old logo is making more of an appearance at the shop, maybe the next step is to integrate it into the home kits as a secondary logo: e.g. put it on the socks and then it can go from there.

OK - maybe this is veering off topic from retro shirts, but this approach is done in the NHL as it sells more shirts, and I think it would do the same for us if we were brave enough to do it.

• Like 2

On 27/02/2021 at 16:25, Golden Fox said:

I picked mine up for virtually nothing (£5 at most) at an end of season sale at the Churchgate shop (along with a pair of socks of the same colour) as a bit of a joke as the colour was so awful...

The sponsor started peeling off pretty quickly, and it's got a loose thread... 

But I actually love the shirt!

In actual fact, I think it's probably the most worn of all of them. Good for slumming around the house, playing football in, going to the beach and best of all, it can't get any more trashed than it is already! 

I should call myself Golden Fox! (or maybe Coffee / beige / sludge Fox has a better ring to it?) 

Wasn't that shirt reversible?  I may be confusing it with another.

You're right though, the colour is awful!

55 minutes ago, Plastik Man said:

Wasn't that shirt reversible?  I may be confusing it with another.

You're right though, the colour is awful!

Yep.. still wearing that shirt around... always a problem deciding which side to have showing, also the sponsor sticking to your chest is a pain lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/02/2021 at 15:06, BirminghamFox said:

I’ve been after this since before lockdown and they only have size small and never restocked

F8B9DD98-1586-489C-ADFF-14DEEE52B39C.jpeg

Just bought this very same shirt. Going to wear it today for the first time when I pop over to see my kids. 

The ex wifes other half is a Spurs fan so I will use as leverage to take the piss out of him. 

• Haha 2