Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Players you forgot played for us

1 minute ago, Collymore said:

I used to love Lawrie, never really got a chance in the first team but was prolific at times in the reserves. Do you remember Jon Stevenson as well? 

Yeah, he’s very good mates with Ben Hamer! Scored for us in a 2-2 draw at home to Villa, I think his only goal for us off the top of my head. 

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

Yeah, he’s very good mates with Ben Hamer! Scored for us in a 2-2 draw at home to Villa, I think his only goal for us off the top of my head. 

Don't he score for us against some foreign team in a friendly or am I getting him mixed up with someone else? 

1 minute ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Fernando Pasquinelli. Got very excited when we signed him as a 20 year old in 2000 from Boca Juniors. Obviously went on to make a grand total of zero appearances.

It's weird I don't remember this transfer as I would have had Teletext on refresh no doubt. 

9 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Don't he score for us against some foreign team in a friendly or am I getting him mixed up with someone else? 

Forgot the consolation in the 6-1 loss at Ipswich 🥺

9 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Maybe Jordan Stewart against Bilbao? 

9 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

He was Gary Macs replacement and cost about 165k.He played about 10 or-so games for us, got homesick and went back to Scotland.We just about got our money back I think.You really didn’t miss tbf.

The Pleat years were, looking back, fascinating signings for the failure rate. Selling Gary Mac and Newell for a million each then continually signing 200k value players to replace or 50k level players from Ireland or lower leagues. All of whom.on paper seemed logical, but all flopped. 

Wayne Clark, Jimmy Quinn, David Kelly, David Oldfield (arrived as a striker from.Man C) all fairly big signings for div 2 at the time. I think Ashley Ward may have been from.Pleat too. The strange case of Pat Gavin. All failed, except for Oldfield when converted  to midfield. Oh, and Rooster. But He only came good when Pleat left. Pleat signed him and he never played him

He signed animals in Mick Kennedy and a big defender Steve Thompson (not the brian little one) to toughen up our feeble underbelly. I think they made 5 apps between them. 

Billy Davies as you say was disastrous

He signed a very elegant Martin Russell from, i think, from Ireland, to replace gary Mac....but I think the crowd got to him and that was that. 

Cheapo defensive signings Alan Paris, Tony James worked in patches. Though Pleat bizarrely chose to destroy Paris's confidence by belittling him (he weren't the brightest) .....I'm sure it was Steve Walsh who said in an interview that Pleat would fire trivia questions at Paris during training 'what's  the capital of Iceland?' ...🤣

33 minutes ago, Bert said:

We had a couple of promising young players that some might not remember.  

Lawrie Dudfield

Tim McCann

Stuart Wilson 

We also had Charlie Miller on loan in the late 90’s as well. 

Remember Wilson and Dudfield, but McCann is a new name for me, was he around the same time?

13 hours ago, Koke said:

I often forget Jesse Lingard played for us. 

I honestly cannot remember anything he did. Even Nick Powell who played about three games had two of the worst shots I've ever seen- a combined 65 yards wide of the post- which briefly sticks in the mind when he's mentioned.

Lingard- I do not remember anything from his appearances with us.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Nah, wasn't Stewart who I'm thinking of.

I can only think of the 3-3 Fiorentina friendly but that was a Sturridge Hat-trick 

Inter Milan 1-2 but think that was Chris O’Grady 

44 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

The Pleat years were, looking back, fascinating signings for the failure rate. Selling Gary Mac and Newell for a million each then continually signing 200k value players to replace or 50k level players from Ireland or lower leagues. All of whom.on paper seemed logical, but all flopped. 

Wayne Clark, Jimmy Quinn, David Kelly, David Oldfield (arrived as a striker from.Man C) all fairly big signings for div 2 at the time. I think Ashley Ward may have been from.Pleat too. The strange case of Pat Gavin. All failed, except for Oldfield when converted  to midfield. Oh, and Rooster. But He only came good when Pleat left. Pleat signed him and he never played him

He signed animals in Mick Kennedy and a big defender Steve Thompson (not the brian little one) to toughen up our feeble underbelly. I think they made 5 apps between them. 

Billy Davies as you say was disastrous

He signed a very elegant Martin Russell from, i think, from Ireland, to replace gary Mac....but I think the crowd got to him and that was that. 

Cheapo defensive signings Alan Paris, Tony James worked in patches. Though Pleat bizarrely chose to destroy Paris's confidence by belittling him (he weren't the brightest) .....I'm sure it was Steve Walsh who said in an interview that Pleat would fire trivia questions at Paris during training 'what's  the capital of Iceland?' ...🤣

Interesting. David Pleat was just before my time (born 86) but I know he wasn’t liked? But then I’ve just seen that he was manager from 87-91 - a reasonable stint 

1 hour ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Fernando Pasquinelli. Got very excited when we signed him as a 20 year old in 2000 from Boca Juniors. Obviously went on to make a grand total of zero appearances.

That's the first name that I've never heard of in this thread! His exotic name suggests he should have been decent lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Interesting. David Pleat was just before my time (born 86) but I know he wasn’t liked? But then I’ve just seen that he was manager from 87-91 - a reasonable stint 

It was a curious period. He was a top manager at spurs. Sacked for non football reasons (caught in a red light district) ...so we stepped in and nabbed a top.manager by default. 

His first six months when he took over in December he turned an ailing div 2 side with a relegation look about them into a very good side, top of the table form with 3 or 4 marvellously shrewd loan signings. Two brilliant  end of season away performances at Blackburn and Middlesbrough drew a line in the sand that we meant business.

We were red hot favourites for promotion that summer..he replaced the loanees with  full signings ...and it all went pear shaped. We'd perform well.againt good sides....but be absolute garbage the rest of the time.

His last two seasons were, to say the least, unpopular. The crowd started to turn. At first it was the infamous G Block boys (basically the hard lads) ...'Pleat out' every game. Slowly, the chants would get louder and more vitriolic. He was absolutely despised by the end. A very arrogant man. 

The cries of 'Pleat out' was basically the noise of my youth!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2