Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Players you forgot played for us

To be honest I had to put some research into this (sad I know). But how would I know if I’d forgotten a player who played for us?

After googling former squads I was reassured that I remembered most players or, if I’d forgotten them, they’d only played 1 game or none at all.

Then, all of a sudden, I found three in the 02/03 season. Three players who’d all played between 9-12 games and I couldn’t remember them at all. I give you:

Martin Reeves

Jon Ashton

Jon Stevenson

If anyone has any fond memories of these players then please let me know - as I clearly wasn’t paying attention during that campaign. 

Edited by Jobyfox

9 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

To be honest I had to put some research into this (sad I know). But how would I know if I’d forgotten a player who played for us?

After googling former squads I was reassured that I remembered most players or, if I’d forgotten them, they’d only played 1 game or none at all.

Then, all of a sudden, I found three in the 02/03 season. Three players who’d all played between 9-12 games and I couldn’t remember them at all. I give you:

Martin Reeves

Jon Ashton

Jon Stevenson

If anyone has any fond memories of these players then please let me know - as I clearly wasn’t paying attention during that campaign. 

Didn't Stevenson score away at Ipswich when we lost 6-1 lol

My memories of that season are quite easy to recall but I think that's because it was the first season I started going regular.

32 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

It was a curious period. He was a top manager at spurs. Sacked for non football reasons (caught in a red light district) ...so we stepped in and nabbed a top.manager by default. 

His first six months when he took over in December he turned an ailing div 2 side with a relegation look about them into a very good side, top of the table form with 3 or 4 marvellously shrewd loan signings. Two brilliant  end of season away performances at Blackburn and Middlesbrough drew a line in the sand that we meant business.

We were red hot favourites for promotion that summer..he replaced the loanees with  full signings ...and it all went pear shaped. We'd perform well.againt good sides....but be absolute garbage the rest of the time.

His last two seasons were, to say the least, unpopular. The crowd started to turn. At first it was the infamous G Block boys (basically the hard lads) ...'Pleat out' every game. Slowly, the chants would get louder and more vitriolic. He was absolutely despised by the end. A very arrogant man. 

The cries of 'Pleat out' was basically the noise of my youth!

Thanks for that. Very interesting

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Saw Jason Wilcox in the press room at Stoke before a game once.

Ah yes, it's the former Blackburn and England midfielder.

...few minutes later...

Wait, hang on, did he play for us in the 'Forgettable Years' ??

Bloody hell he did !!!!

:dunno:

One of the funniest men in football 

14 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

Martin Reeves

Jon Ashton

Jon Stevenson

Jon Stevenson was about 4ft tall I think. Didn't he score in thr 6-1 loss to Pompey? Might have been Porter haha.

Jon Ashton had a massive throw, that's about all I remember of him.

Martin Reeves, I have don't recall that name. Isn't their a bloke of the same name that works as a fitness coach at the club?

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Jon Stevenson was about 4ft tall I think. Didn't he score in thr 6-1 loss to Pompey? Might have been Porter haha.

Jon Ashton had a massive throw, that's about all I remember of him.

Martin Reeves, I have don't recall that name. Isn't their a bloke of the same name that works as a fitness coach at the club?

After doing a bit of investigation it appears that Martin Reeves most recently played for Brackley Town.

Jon Ashton is a fitness coach at Stevenage

Jon Stevenson must be local as he has played for many local teams and manages Melton Town. He clearly found his level at Oadby Town as he scored 53 goals in 71 appearances if the bible that is Wikipedia can be believed. 

Edited by Jobyfox

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

It was a curious period. He was a top manager at spurs. Sacked for non football reasons (caught in a red light district) ...so we stepped in and nabbed a top.manager by default. 

His first six months when he took over in December he turned an ailing div 2 side with a relegation look about them into a very good side, top of the table form with 3 or 4 marvellously shrewd loan signings. Two brilliant  end of season away performances at Blackburn and Middlesbrough drew a line in the sand that we meant business.

We were red hot favourites for promotion that summer..he replaced the loanees with  full signings ...and it all went pear shaped. We'd perform well.againt good sides....but be absolute garbage the rest of the time.

His last two seasons were, to say the least, unpopular. The crowd started to turn. At first it was the infamous G Block boys (basically the hard lads) ...'Pleat out' every game. Slowly, the chants would get louder and more vitriolic. He was absolutely despised by the end. A very arrogant man. 

The cries of 'Pleat out' was basically the noise of my youth!

And mine.

Away at charlton, full members cup.  Simon Morgan and his brothers lead the pleat out chants 😂

It was truly dreadful.

• Haha 1

Can look at every squad since I was about 7/8 (I'm 30 now), recognise every name and picture them playing for us - but there's one bloke who I genuinely can't remember at all.

Peter Gilbert - (apparently) played a handful of times for us in 05/06, I wouldn't notice him if I brushed past him on the street. Assumed he must have been a loanee that got ten minutes and sodded off but he was a permanent signing.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie

19 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Can look at every squad since I was about 7/8 (I'm 30 now), recognise every name and picture them playing for us - but there's one bloke who I genuinely can't remember at all.

Peter Gilbert - (apparently) played a handful of times for us in 05/06, I wouldn't notice him if I brushed past him on the street. Assumed he must have been a loanee that got ten minutes and sodded off but he was a permanent signing.

Yeah Peter Gilbert was pretty sort after at the time if I remember rightly but he didn't do much in the end. Was very much a old fashioned LB, had a nose bleed if he ventured over the half way line. 

• Like 1