Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Everton 1-1 LCFC - Post Match Thread

40 minutes ago, Koke said:

Vardy would have done fvck all last night. Everton parked the bus and tried their best to imitate peak Burnley. Vardy would have touched the ball 7 times the whole game.

He touches the ball 7 times a game normally, who gives a fvck about touches. Perez touched the ball loads last night and barely offered a threat on goal. Any time the ball came to him in the box with a potential opening you just knew nothing would come from it. 

A false nine by (rough) definition is the player in the centre forward position dropping deep to help link play with the midfield. By definition, Perez does do this. But not because he’s a false 9, because he’s a shit centre forward. Not his fault, I like Perez, just deeper on the pitch making inverted runs off the striker. Find this whole false 9 incredibly cringey and just an excuse for the wannabe Pep’s on here to try and look flash lol 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

He touches the ball 7 times a game normally, who gives a fvck about touches. Perez touched the ball loads last night and barely offered a threat on goal. Any time the ball came to him in the box with a potential opening you just knew nothing would come from it. 

A false nine by (rough) definition is the player in the centre forward position dropping deep to help link play with the midfield. By definition, Perez does do this. But not because he’s a false 9, because he’s a shit centre forward. Not his fault, I like Perez, just deeper on the pitch making inverted runs off the striker. Find this whole false 9 incredibly cringey and just an excuse for the wannabe Pep’s on here to try and look flash lol 

We don't have a choice though. Vardy is injured so its either Iheanacho or Perez. 

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

I haven't seen enough of Everton to know whether they are always like that or it's a tactic Ancellotti uses against us because it its known how much we struggle to break teams down. It probably would've worked if not for a Pickford error. 

I watched their game against West Ham on New Year’s Day and it was very similar 

What I've seen lately is a team becoming less reliant on Vards for goals, while sustaining a level of technical excellence only matched currently by Manchester City.

In a sense this is a reversal of roles beginning to happen. Where Vards superb goal finding qualities were supplementing the offensive midfield - converting chances which lesser strikers would have failed to convert - now, those who were relying on him have developed confidence to find the net themselves, albeit from distance. Justin, Maddison, Barnes and Tielemans are superior players at their jobs yet have transitioned to being persistent goal-scoring threats.

Once Vards returns then the goal potential will be further enhanced.

As for Perez and Iheanacho getting the bird for not being Vardy - what do you expect? I hope BR persists with him while Vards is out. I hope too that Uender and Albrighton are freely interchanged as the developing game deem necessary. Uender could be viewed as selfish, but as long as he keeps accurately testing the defences he encounters, especially from the left, then things will happen. I really do hope he's given a permanent contract.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, EnderbyFox said:

Imagine being the home team pushing for a European spot and being camped on your 18 yard line for 70 minutes. Horrible negative team. Mersey Burnley

Used to think Grealish was the most unlikeable player in the league but Richarlison has easily taken that crown 

Can we just throw this home/away argument into the bin now? Except for slightly varying pitch sizes, why would this really matter this season?

Everton nearly did the number on us again, so I don't think we should criticize their style last night. The way some on here are mocking Spurs fans throughout the years for criticizing counter-attacking styles, you'd think there'd be a modicum of self-awareness here. We didn't create more meaningful chances than Everton in all honesty, so maybe we should stop acting snide or superior here.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, shen said:

Can we just throw this home/away argument into the bin now? Except for slightly varying pitch sizes, why would this really matter this season?

Everton nearly did the number on us again, so I don't think we should criticize their style last night. The way some on here are mocking Spurs fans throughout the years for criticizing counter-attacking styles, you'd think there'd be a modicum of self-awareness here. We didn't create more meaningful chances than Everton in all honesty, so maybe we should stop acting snide or superior here.

Glad somebody said it. 

Everton have taken 4 points from us this season and could arguably have taken all 6 if weren't for Gomes miss controlling or DCL/Richarlison not passing up very good heading opportunities. They were also without their screen in Doucoure and Allan. 

That said, I'd be disappointed to not finish above them this season. 

• Like 1

There's a lot of people digging out Everton for the way that they approached the game but let's be honest, if Pickford had dealt with that shot like a professional goalkeeper then they probably would have won. They came to our place last month and did a complete job on us. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

There's a lot of people digging out Everton for the way that they approached the game but let's be honest, if Pickford had dealt with that shot like a professional goalkeeper then they probably would have won. They came to our place last month and did a complete job on us. 

I agree with you and I dont subscribe to the 'only one way to play football' crowd but if that was mourinho/Steve bruce/big sam ect nobody would care that it almost worked. It would be what an eye sore it was. 

Infact they wanted big sam gone and even he isnt that unadventurous 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I agree with you and I dont subscribe to the 'only one way to play football' crowd but if that was mourinho/Steve bruce/big sam ect nobody would care that it almost worked. It would be what an eye sore it was. 

Infact they wanted big sam gone and even he isnt that unadventurous 

I don't really disagree with you on that. It's what having an exotic name, reputation and not acting like a petulant child (in the case of Mourinho) gets you.

Guest Hansifüx

There is no real excuse for not winning this one ... the team chickened for reasons I don't understand. I suspect that there was this ridiculous idea that CL on his own is a threat, which he isn't and wasn't ... he may be a threat at set pieces but when gets the ball on his feet I am not concerned at all ...  there was no need to play that deep as we did ...   

Edited by Hansifüx

2 hours ago, Koke said:

We don't have a choice though. Vardy is injured so its either Iheanacho or Perez. 

Yep, our options up there are extremely limited, but it’s Iheanacho for me. If you take away his palace penalty miss and didn’t read Twitter and Foxestalk, both of which have led to a ridiculous Iheanacho bandwagon of hate, he’s not as totally shite as people love to make out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Izzy said:

Apart from 20 mins in the first half I think we played pretty well.

Keeps the unbeaten run going.

Perez isn't the answer up front.

Just be glad you're not an Everton fan having to watch that dogshit every week.

Good points here mate but please stop because you’re getting so many rep points, it’s making me jealous.

Start posting more guff please

👍

• Haha 1

Just now, Col city fan said:

Good points here mate but please stop because you’re getting so many rep points, it’s making me jealous.

Start posting more guff please

👍

You should start posting your funny GIF's and images again Col, that was working well for you I felt in terms of rep points for the couple of days you went for it?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Not necessarily. Before our equaliser they were so deep that we were camped in their half. Good chance something would've fell to us eventually. They then came out a bit more after we scored and had chances to win it but without our equaliser I don't think they'd have changed their approach 

Edit: sorry that wasn't my most articulate of posts lol

Edited by foxfanazer

5 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

A lot of folk are failing to recognise that Everton's deep defensive line would have largely nullified any out and out striker last night. 

Good job we had Perez dropping deep then, to con-jest the area Maddison wanted to operate in :S

I’m not having this argument that a deep-lying defence nullifies the threat of a natural centre forward. What about every single time we play a team at home that parks the bus? Has Vardy never scored against a shit team at home?

There were 3-4 times we got behind their defence especially down the right with Castagne, but only Maddison being able to create space and receive the ball out of those chances. Natural striker would’ve made the correct runs and perhaps would’ve had an easy tap-in.

Edited by TJB-fox

They're a couple of years away from European football I think. They'll be a 'rattle the cage' team for teams that do push for europe regularly but they've got alot to do I think in the next couple of years. I'm not really worried about them. 

We need a good target man though so badly. Have done a for a couple of years but a target man puts that game to bed before the hour. 

24 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Good job we had Perez dropping deep then, to con-jest the area Maddison wanted to operate in :S

I’m not having this argument that a deep-lying defence nullifies the threat of a natural centre forward. What about every single time we play a team at home that parks the bus? Has Vardy never scored against a shit team at home?

There were 3-4 times we got behind their defence especially down the right with Castagne, but only Maddison being able to create space and receive the ball out of those chances. Natural striker would’ve made the correct runs and perhaps would’ve had an easy tap-in.

Vardy’s record against Ancelotti’s Everton does nothing to suggest it would have been any different. Having look at the heat make too Maddison took the right whereas Perez went more to the left 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

6 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Vardy’s record against Ancelotti’s Everton does nothing to suggest it would have been any different. Having look at the heat make too Maddison took the right whereas Perez went more to the left 

Vardys record? 2 games, one of which we were total shit and played a weakened team. Come off it

Just to reiterate I have no problem with him, but I find the Iheanacho hatred and Perez ‘false 9’ love in absolutely mental. The word bandwagon comes to mind!

21 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Vardys record? 2 games, one of which we were total shit and played a weakened team. Come off it

Just to reiterate I have no problem with him, but I find the Iheanacho hatred and Perez ‘false 9’ love in absolutely mental. The word bandwagon comes to mind!

It's just a difference of opinion - it doesn't matter. No bandwagon involved.

15 hours ago, HitchinFox said:

Ha! Pretty sure I know more about it than you ever will, pal. Although that's beside the point. 

You're right about the traditional long ball. But I said "glorified long ball" - which is what Everton did yesterday. Picking their moments for it. There's a difference.

Plenty of Italian teams applied that in the 1980s – Como, for example, survived years in Serie A thanks to it. 

I’m not sure why you would know more, having lived in Italy at the time, but I’ll take your word for it.

I'm not sure if Everton were always going to play that way or whether they had little choice as the just couldn't get out and were dealing with wave after wave of attack and overlapping full backs. Like us away to Liverpool it's a constant onslaught and you just can't find a way out to come up for air, after all they did select Richarlison, James and Calvert Lewin, maybe for the counter attack but if they knew they'd be so deep I feel the selection would have been different.

What would have helped us would be for Mike Dean to break away from his long established mash up of being lenient to some bad challenges then nit picky over the slightest contact. If Richarlison gets correctly booked for his third foul as an accumulation like we've seen many many times before from proper refs then the 4th and 5th either see him off or don't happen as he pulls out. Those Man City-esque challenges on the half way line that stop the break would be a yellow for Evans every time but for Dean they're OK to just give the free kick. It wasn't a major contribution but his presence allowed Everton to survive the game. The pin headed nit-picker.

Watched the game back again. Everton are channelling their inner Burnley. Absolute shocking football team. I thought Allardyce left them on 2018. They parked the bus at home and took off their striker for a defender late in the game. We should have won. Definitely 2 points dropped.