Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Everton 1-1 LCFC - Post Match Thread

Felt very much like it might be another one of those nights in the first half- fail to break down a lesser team sitting deep, concede, then run out of ideas down the other end.

Second half was fantastic though, on another day (and with a capable striker) we'd have battered them.

How cat flap hands is still England no.1 is beyond me- not complaining on this occasion though lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KingsX said:

As much as Wilf’s sudden injury took the wind out of many sails in the match thread …

Game over.

It's all gone tits up...  I've seen enough.  Night night.

If we lose Nididi im off to watch nature watch

Oh well. There's always next season. RIP. See you all in August. 

Oh **** me. See you later logging out until the grounds are open.

Bad to worse. End of season if wilf and vardy out. 

Season over.

… it must have hit the players just as hard.  But in the second half they only fought harder -- and bounced back. Great to see that strength of character.  Maybe as fans we should try it on!

Spot on. When you read back those negative comments the next day, it really does serve to demonstrate that this extended Lock Down is indeed causing harm........  

The Match Thread is often a difficult read if we are not 5-0 up in the first five minutes.  Someone actually mentioned Wilf will be out for 5-6 weeks within 30 seconds of him bein substituted - I thought it was Dave Rennie...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Frankly, that's laughable bollocks and, more importantly, disrespectful.

The whole world doesn't revolve around the English language. I suspect you couldn't pronounce my surname correctly despite the fact I was born on the same island as you, but I hope you would try as I would with yours. 

If you went to Germany for example to live, I am sure you would hope that people would say your name properly.

I think we need to say our overseas players names correctly out of respect for them, such as Castagne. You would not say Cas-tag-nee, but at least try to pronounce as he does. And Gomes in Portuguese ends with a sh. 

It has to consistant though, doesn't it? Commentators seem to pick certain players and try to pronounce their names in their native tongue but ignore others. Do Messi's parents call him Lee-on-EL (as commentators tend to) or Lie-nul after his namesake? Place-names are the same. How many times do we hear newsreaders trying to pronounce foreign towns correctly but then say New-car-sul or Car-sul-ford or Barth? 

I think it's testament to the fact that we're now seen as a major attacking threat with the way Everton have set up against us this season.

An Everton team managed by one of the worlds best managers, with £50million players set themselves up to not lose the game, much like how you'd expect us to set up against Man City etc

A draw was probably a fair result in the end, although we dominated the 2nd half we didn't create too many clear cut chances, and given our showing against these earlier this season I suppose I'm happy with the point, a with Man United's result last night, it's a point gained on them

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Place-names are the same. How many times do we hear newsreaders trying to pronounce foreign towns correctly but then say New-car-sul or Car-sul-ford or Barth? 

I don't believe that's a fair comparison. My parents are different in this, neither is wrong. 

I was frustrated last night that we didn't win but reflecting on the match the morning after the night before, I think this was a really good point after falling behind. For someone who started supporting the club in the early 80s, it's incredible to see us go to a place like Goodison, dominate the ball and play pretty much all of the football. 

• Like 1

Have to admit at half time I wasn't too confident we would come away with anything but second half we were terrific and deserved the point.

They were disappointing but were missing two key players in midfield which maybe affected they way they approached the game.

Again our defending of set pieces and crosses into the box is a bit of a concern.

Wilf's injury could derail the season a bit as we are so much better with him in the side.

We need Vardy back asap. Even if he doesn't score he leads the line and in fact the whole team approach and is very much our talisman. I'm afraid Perez looked the weak link last night. I'm really not sure what his position really is. He doesn't seem like a natural striker to me but he's not good enough out wide and I don't really see him as a midfielder either. As others on here have said he probably needs to play behind a centre forward which is perhaps where his best position is. Trouble is we really only have one in the squad and if he isn't available I sort of wonder what is the role for Perez.

Anyway we're still right up there with a tricky game out of the way. Next few matches are crucial as the end of the season looks tough.

Edited by reynard

2 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

The whole world doesn't revolve around the English language. I suspect you couldn't pronounce my surname correctly despite the fact I was born on the same island as you, but I hope you would try as I would with yours. 

If you went to Germany for example to live, I am sure you would hope that people would say your name properly.

I think we need to say our overseas players names correctly out of respect for them, such as Castagne. You would not say Cas-tag-nee, but at least try to pronounce as he does. And Gomes in Portuguese ends with a sh. 

How is it? 

I'm not saying don't make an effort, I'm saying there's ways that words or names that are pronounced in some languages that don't work in ours. 

Do you put on an an accent with any foreign words you say or just people's names? If you do you're being a bit divvy and if you don't then you're being hypocritical. 

When the same commentator is pronouncing names seemingly at random (Iwobi/Ih-wob-ee?) then it just comes across disingenuous anyway. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HitchinFox said:

Everton are a 1980s Italian team. Combination of waiting for opposition mistakes, glorified longball and catenaccio. 

Happy with a point, but we absolutely shat on them. 

You obviously know nothing about 1980’s Italian football.  The long ball, in the 80’s, was more of a British thing.

• Haha 1

Champions league football has to be the aim this season with the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea floundering, there are two spots to gain. With our best 11 we would have beat Everton no question about that. We just need to get through these next couple of games Leeds, Fulham and Wolves unbeaten and then the big game against Liverpool with hopefully Vardy and Ndidi fit enough to start that game.

2 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

It seems like you're talking bollocks for the sake of it anyway, I thought as much...

None of the search results suggest it's pronounced in that way. 

Screenshot_20210128_092228_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210128_092103_com.android.chrome.jpg

4 minutes ago, Sionnach gorm said:

You obviously know nothing about 1980’s Italian football.  The long ball, in the 80’s, was more of a British thing.

Ha! Pretty sure I know more about it than you ever will, pal. Although that's beside the point. 

You're right about the traditional long ball. But I said "glorified long ball" - which is what Everton did yesterday. Picking their moments for it. There's a difference.

Plenty of Italian teams applied that in the 1980s – Como, for example, survived years in Serie A thanks to it. 

1 hour ago, mozartfox said:

Spot on. When you read back those negative comments the next day, it really does serve to demonstrate that this extended Lock Down is indeed causing harm........  

The Match Thread is often a difficult read if we are not 5-0 up in the first five minutes.  Someone actually mentioned Wilf will be out for 5-6 weeks within 30 seconds of him bein substituted - I thought it was Dave Rennie...

I think it is more a case of "seen it all before"... Back end of last season and even earlier in the season we would have lost this game. I have not seen a reaction like that for a long time, it was like we came out second half and refused defeat as an option. It was amazing to see. Youri was playing like a man possessed, forget James, Youri is the absolute ****ing man.