Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Everton 1-1 LCFC - Post Match Thread

40 minutes ago, Foxaholic ME said:

Per head of population Burnley are probablly the best supported team in the league   When it was more of a level playing field Burnley were  one of the most attractive and best sides in the country   I didnt realise Blackburnwere in trouble

Sorry. I was writing loosely they are not in trouble as far as I know, I was comparing them with Burnley who survive in the PL. I think Bolton Wanderers are still going in some form.I used to lunch at the club not many years ago. I'm a sentimental fool and whenever I drive through Burnley I detour just to pass by the ground, really as a mark of respect, stupid as it seems,(twice last year.). The multinational where I spent most of what I jokingly call my career had a huge , really huge factory in Blackburn now closed so I imagine between that and covid the town's had a rough time. If Burnley keep doing LCFC favours I shan't regret my detours ,in fact I might take a candle and flowers, next time..

I thought Everton played well... They defended well, they played to their strengths. They had a few good attempts on goal. I feel like the point was well-deserved. 

I do think it's on Rodgers though. If you're going to play a false 9, especially one like Perez, you need threat from the wings. Albrighton was anonymous. I saw one good cross from him all game. Under in his 20 minutes provided so much more incision, Everton had to be wary of his dribbling and they actually had to defend him, which opened up play for the rest of our players. Without Vardy, I don't think we can justify starting Albrighton. Vardy's extra threat and quality mean that the lack of contributions from him can get papered over, but Albrighton has 900+ minutes and only 3 assists in the PL, and no goals. Under has 2 assists in a quarter of the playing time.

Albrighton is a luxury player, in the sense that he doesn't offer enough to the team when in possession. The reverse-Ozil, if you will. Please don't take this as Albrighton slander, he's an incredibly important squad player, but it's a fact that he's not exactly the greatest player offensively. Think back to the beginning of the first half. Barnes megged Holgate and then surged through half their defence. He passed to Albrighton, who had the chance to play the 1-2 or go for goal. He got caught in two minds and his attempt ended up blocked. It was indicative of his whole game. 

• Like 3

If we had a big centre forward someone like a giroud we win that game. Someone that can make something of the crosses. 

Bit baffled some of them think they have a better team after watching that though. Also that they think they deserved the 3 points. 

Still. Showing signs of growth. A style we usually struggle against put up to 11 and we managed to find a way. 

13 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

If we had a big centre forward someone like a giroud we win that game. Someone that can make something of the crosses. 

Bit baffled some of them think they have a better team after watching that though. Also that they think they deserved the 3 points. 

Still. Showing signs of growth. A style we usually struggle against put up to 11 and we managed to find a way. 

That's what I was thinking second half aswell, a prime Ulloa up front to knock the ball up to and off of :wub:

Fair result really, they dug in, both squandered chances at the end. Barnes MotM for me, caused mayhem all night, assisted Youri. Their goal looked off in the build-up, anyone know if that was looked into at all?

Tough night for Ayo but I don't think he stretched play enough, stayed deep and just got in the way of build up play, gotta move about abit lad, pull their oil tanker defenders about abit.

47 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I thought Everton played well... They defended well, they played to their strengths. They had a few good attempts on goal. I feel like the point was well-deserved. 

I do think it's on Rodgers though. If you're going to play a false 9, especially one like Perez, you need threat from the wings. Albrighton was anonymous. I saw one good cross from him all game. Under in his 20 minutes provided so much more incision, Everton had to be wary of his dribbling and they actually had to defend him, which opened up play for the rest of our players. Without Vardy, I don't think we can justify starting Albrighton. Vardy's extra threat and quality mean that the lack of contributions from him can get papered over, but Albrighton has 900+ minutes and only 3 assists in the PL, and no goals. Under has 2 assists in a quarter of the playing time.

Albrighton is a luxury player, in the sense that he doesn't offer enough to the team when in possession. The reverse-Ozil, if you will. Please don't take this as Albrighton slander, he's an incredibly important squad player, but it's a fact that he's not exactly the greatest player offensively. Think back to the beginning of the first half. Barnes megged Holgate and then surged through half their defence. He passed to Albrighton, who had the chance to play the 1-2 or go for goal. He got caught in two minds and his attempt ended up blocked. It was indicative of his whole game. 

Agree with this but I dont think Rodgers expected them to be so defensive as they were. Think he feared they could be a threat down the left with Digne's crossing ability hence why he played Albrighton as cover. But yeh, with them playing 11 men behind the ball, it certainly wasnt a game for Albrighton and we possibly could have got more out of Under.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KingsX said:

As much as Wilf’s sudden injury took the wind out of many sails in the match thread …

Game over.

It's all gone tits up...  I've seen enough.  Night night.

If we lose Nididi im off to watch nature watch

Oh well. There's always next season. RIP. See you all in August. 

Oh **** me. See you later logging out until the grounds are open.

Bad to worse. End of season if wilf and vardy out. 

Season over.

… it must have hit the players just as hard.  But in the second half they only fought harder -- and bounced back. Great to see that strength of character.  Maybe as fans we should try it on!

Seems like they have to confidence now to not let their heads drop anymore when going 1-0 down

7 hours ago, Haydos said:

But it's not how we talk and it sounds stupid trying to do it. It's pronounced like that because the language has certain characteristics, characteristics we don't have in English so it just sounds silly. 

Frankly, that's laughable bollocks and, more importantly, disrespectful.

The whole world doesn't revolve around the English language. I suspect you couldn't pronounce my surname correctly despite the fact I was born on the same island as you, but I hope you would try as I would with yours. 

If you went to Germany for example to live, I am sure you would hope that people would say your name properly.

I think we need to say our overseas players names correctly out of respect for them, such as Castagne. You would not say Cas-tag-nee, but at least try to pronounce as he does. And Gomes in Portuguese ends with a sh. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 2

Everton have the players to be more attacking, they'd have won that game last night if they put more balls into the box. Nearly scored every time they did. It's their choice to play how they want and it will work for them more often than not but it really was Burnley with an expensive manager.

We've got a good attitude at the minute, patient and kept going. Trying to find space and getting into the box. Relied on a mistake in the end but the goal was coming. 

4 hours ago, trabuch said:

Under needs to start.

The problem is that BR should have realised much sooner that Albrighton wasn't needed for his defensive capabilities earlier in the game. Everton just sat back. I feel that BR only giving under 15-20 makes him desperate to show BR that he needs to start therefore tries too hard, he takes pop shots all the time and forces things to happen. He needs proper game time and yesterday really he should have started. 

• Like 1

A performance to make us Foxes very proud and so important to keep the unbeaten run going.  Great effort all round.  Undecided whether Under should start, he is such an impact player coming off the bench, what a great option to have - certainly puts the fear into a tired back line!

8 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

I didn't.  I remember the side push up, ball comes into him, he tries to flick it pass the defender, loses the ball, all of the sudden it's 4 on 4.  Instead he could hold the ball up.  His set pieces weren't great today. There were times where he either shot, tried a flash pass and it didn't come off for him

80% of football is about moves which don't come off. What I admire about Maddison, Barnes, Vardy and, last night, Uender, is their willingness to take on the opposition and take chances.

It's the half pint full / empty scenario. You criticise his profligate chance wasting, but would you drop him? No, I thought not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I have to disagree, I thought Everton were poor, you’re right when you say they played to their strength, by lifting the balls into channels for DCL to chase. James was mostly bypassed, so much so he had so drop into a CDM role to get on the ball at times. They probably had 30 minutes in the game where they caused us some problems other than that, they offered nothing. 

We terrorised their fullbacks, I think Holgate and Godfrey will be washing the stains out of their pants for weeks. Mina and Kean were all last ditch, they were throwing themselves in front of balls like looneys from the first minute, there was a lot of panic in them, particularly when we got into our stride.

Your second point, Perez had to play because Kalechi is hopeless, I thought Perez did okay in his false 9 role, he didn’t turn over possession and usually looked for Barnes quickly, the idea would have been to get the width in but I thought Timmy had a poor game too, so we were not firing properly down the right side. 

Under hasn’t done enough to start, and when he initially came on he actually conceded possession in two dangerous areas of the pitch by trying to be too clever. It would be a good idea to start him against Leeds though, but I’m not sure BR will, I get the impression he isn’t keen. 

I thought we were worth more than a point, had Vardy have been playing we would have probably walked off with a few more goals.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Agreed Albrighton and surprisingly Castagne was very poor yesterday. We need to over load the flanks without Vardy and I hope we go Ricardo and Ünder vs Leeds.

31 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Another point after falling behind .....great character shown in that second half 

surprised Everton couldn’t see what was there for them if they changed their approach .... I think that costs them over the next few months ..

Everton are desperate to “do a Leicester”  and will throw any amount of money to try to win the thing or make top 4. They just haven’t got the balls when they are on the pitch which is why they’ll finish in their usual 8th or 9th spot . They’ll never replicate our title winners 

18 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

and surprisingly Castagne was very poor yesterday. 

I disagree. "Very poor" is a bit strong. I thought he looked uncharacteristically shakey in the first half compared to the standard that we have been used to seeing from him, but really grew into the game. The timing of that tackle late in the second half was world class. 

• Like 1