Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Everton 1-1 LCFC - Post Match Thread

It's a nice problem to have, but I don't know how you keep Soyuncu on the bench.  He offers so much in transition against teams who sit back deep.

Youri and Harvey were tremendous.  Perez was a cipher but he's not a #9 and never will be - not the answer.  Need more Under in the 11.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

Everton were like old school Wimbledon for most of that game. Hoof ball and set plays, only happy when it was stop start. Mike Dean was the ideal ref for their shithousery. Surprised no analysis was done on whether Digne was offside for the James goal.

I thought this.  I think VAR had the night off! 

• Like 1

Really impressed with our team’s energy last night - second half we were getting six or more players forward even after 80+ mins and they all snap back into formation to defend. Exceptionally well coached and, in some ways, the packed season and injuries have maybe helped our system in that everyone’s getting game time and learning where they need to be. We’ve got pace, goals around the team and intelligence - looks a great blend at the moment. We have kicked on and learned from last season’s drop-off rather then suffering a hangover. And such a young side too - with Evans, Albrighton and Vardy off, it’s the likes of Castagne at 27ish (?) who are the older heads on the field (apart from Schmeichel). I think that was a failing last year, but they are maturing together. 

12 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Fvck me if I see one more person talk about us playing Perez as a false 9 I’m going to boot the neighbours dog Paul Gallagher penalty style 

A lot of folk are failing to recognise that Everton's deep defensive line would have largely nullified any out and out striker last night. 

• Like 4

Everton what can you say.  Their fans must be pleased of the pandemic and they cant see them inside their stadium they were woeful.  So anti football to play like that at home, five centrebacks, dull n duller.

Thought we were excellent especially second half thoroughly deserved our equaliser playing some decent football.

Just re watched extended highlights. Feck me did we cut them apart again and again 2nd half. They were chasing shadows at times. But our final ball just didn't hit the man. I think we should be proud of how far we've come. We played a so called good team in their manor and they were hanging on for dear life. They accepted the only way to hold out was to lock it up for the entire 45. We are a cracking team who have a real swagger at the moment.

28 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Fvck me if I see one more person talk about us playing Perez as a false 9 I’m going to boot the neighbours dog Paul Gallagher penalty style 

If the Dog is One of those little runts then.....Perez playing has a false 9,was a Smart Move

If the Dog is on the larger size...Perez was the Dog bollocks,playing Off the oppo,-shoulders, then spreading neat passes, & putting in a Good shift..:whistle:

Everton's approach to the game was embarrassing IMO. They defended well, but if we played Soyuncu, Morgan, Evans & Fuchs as our back 4 I'd expect us to be pretty solid as well.

I'd love to see a heat map of their average position for the second half. 

It's funny how it's 'Pragmatic' and 'sensible' or 'tactical' when Ancelotti does it, but when teams that don't have the quality of DCL, Richarlison, Gomes, Digne etc .... it's 'anti football'.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NewquayFox said:

I’m just thankful I support Leicester City and not Everton, imagine having to watch that crap week in week out. Duncan Ferguson looked like they had won the bloody game at the end. 
Tin pot club... :thumbdown:

Up the City.... :thumbup:

We used to be that Burnley & Everton Type Team & Happy to brag about it...!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

It's a nice problem to have, but I don't know how you keep Soyuncu on the bench.  He offers so much in transition against teams who sit back deep.

Youri and Harvey were tremendous.  Perez was a cipher but he's not a #9 and never will be - not the answer.  Need more Under in the 11.

But at the same time you can't drop Fofana or Evans without reason. But, Fofana has had a few mistakes creep in as of late. 

3 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I have to disagree, I thought Everton were poor, you’re right when you say they played to their strength, by lifting the balls into channels for DCL to chase. James was mostly bypassed, so much so he had so drop into a CDM role to get on the ball at times. They probably had 30 minutes in the game where they caused us some problems other than that, they offered nothing. 

We terrorised their fullbacks, I think Holgate and Godfrey will be washing the stains out of their pants for weeks. Mina and Kean were all last ditch, they were throwing themselves in front of balls like looneys from the first minute, there was a lot of panic in them, particularly when we got into our stride.

Your second point, Perez had to play because Kalechi is hopeless, I thought Perez did okay in his false 9 role, he didn’t turn over possession and usually looked for Barnes quickly, the idea would have been to get the width in but I thought Timmy had a poor game too, so we were not firing properly down the right side. 

Under hasn’t done enough to start, and when he initially came on he actually conceded possession in two dangerous areas of the pitch by trying to be too clever. It would be a good idea to start him against Leeds though, but I’m not sure BR will, I get the impression he isn’t keen. 

I thought we were worth more than a point, had Vardy have been playing we would have probably walked off with a few more goals.

Perez was ok, it would have been a good performance if he wasn't so physically bullied whenever he got into dangerous positions. My point was more that if you were going to remove the "striker" from our formation in favour of someone playing deeper, both wingers need to be able to really attack, or there will be little incision - which is what happened, most of our chances before Albrighton was subbed off were taken with a wall of defenders in front of them, which I felt played into Everton's hands, that's why they played 4 centrebacks.

43 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Vardy would have done fvck all last night. Everton parked the bus and tried their best to imitate peak Burnley. Vardy would have touched the ball 7 times the whole game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I haven't seen enough of Everton to know whether they are always like that or it's a tactic Ancellotti uses against us because it its known how much we struggle to break teams down. It probably would've worked if not for a Pickford error. 

Ancelotti took off Calvert-Lewin and put on Coleman late in the game. Either he is scared of us or he doesn't rate his midfielders/attackers.

10 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Perez was ok, it would have been a good performance if he wasn't so physically bullied whenever he got into dangerous positions. My point was more that if you were going to remove the "striker" from our formation in favour of someone playing deeper, both wingers need to be able to really attack, or there will be little incision - which is what happened, most of our chances before Albrighton was subbed off were taken with a wall of defenders in front of them, which I felt played into Everton's hands, that's why they played 4 centrebacks.

I do agree with the wingers, I feel Timmy was really off yesterday, that is probably why things were not working as well  as we would have liked. But I think Under should start against Leeds, Possibly Riccy too? 

• Like 1

They miss Allen and Decoure a lot. But they were a horror show. Time wasting after 40. It's a miracle we didn't beat them as we were all over them second half. Fortunate for them we didn't play a striker. Perez was a passenger. He's a nothing player. Not a ten and not a winger. Bin. 

• Like 1

Everton went with a system to nullify Albrighton and Barnes preventing them from having the impact they've had in recent games. While also closing down Maddison and Youri quickly , Believing they could stifle our attacking threat.

They were always going to shut up shop once they got in front which is a compliment to us. As had they made a game of it they certainly could have troubled us with their physical presence. They 're a decent side in development and will take points off some of our challengers which is a good thing.

Vardy, I doubt would have had any impact as he would have been swallowed up by the defensive numbers they used last night.

The Goal was a tad fortunate but no more than we deserved. What I liked about it was Youri knew exactly what he was doing taking the early shot hoping to catch the Keeper unsighted. the sign of a very intelligent player. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

But at the same time you can't drop Fofana or Evans without reason. But, Fofana has had a few mistakes creep in as of late. 

Sure you can.  You play the two who you think give you the best chance to win.  If Soyuncu can lose his position because of an injury he can get it back because of what he offers the side.

Not saying it's a slam dunk, and if anything I'd be pretty much rotating those three.  But against teams that sit back I would want Cags on the pitch, because he's great in transition.

• Like 1