Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Post Horn Galloper

Greatest ever City goal?

I might be completely wrong and have a very distorted memory of it, as I was quite young, but I seem to remember Gary Mills scoring an absolutely sensational solo goal at Filbert Street, probably against Watford.

Can't find anything online, so I'm probably wrong.

Anyone else have a recollection of this? 

For me: 4 September 1976 V. Everton at Filbert Street.

Never found any film of this but it's in my memory.

Early in the 2nd half Frankie Wortho ran from the halfway line and beat 8 players (think it was 6 but he went round 2 of them twice, including the goalkeeper).

Then he stood in front of the Kop enjoying the adulation for quite some time.

A fantastic goal to garnish any victory.

Unfortunately Bob Latchford got a tap in later to earn a draw.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, trabuch said:

What a talent that lad was. Under different circumstances who knows where he could have ended up.

One of the few Leicester players over the years who genuinely got me out of my seat when he got the ball.

I was convinced he had the talent to play for England but obviously never realized his true potential which was a massive shame.

Enjoyed watching him immensely though during his time with us.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Post Horn Galloper said:

Having watched LCFC since 1952 l have seen some pretty impressive goals. The memorable ones tend to be the blasters and belters , such as Vardy's against Liverpool   coupled with terrific overhead kicks by  Shinji or Izzet. Other great goals show delightful skill such as the Mahrez goal against Chelsea in late 2015, or perhaps Vardy's against Man City earlier this season. But all these noble scores cannot compare with the mesmerising second against ManU last Sunday. The string of 28 passes followed by the exquisite strike by Youri Tielemans, hit hard and low just inside the far post, was a goal of beauty: a wonderful team effort with a fine precise finish. I haven't seen better, and feel privileged to watch the great players we have. It's my nomination for best ever goal. Can anybody out there remember one better?

If you're going for a team goal, I doubt that there's one better. Don't remember City ever playing that style of short passing game. 

19 minutes ago, trabuch said:

What a talent that lad was. Under different circumstances who knows where he could have ended up.

Saw the under 18 Euro final at Forest's ground in 93. Thought Joachim was the best player on the pitch. Just look at the rest of the England team! No idea what happened to the lad. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-caskey-spurs-england-to-glory-young-turks-are-routed-as-powell-s-talented-team-become-european-champions-jon-culley-reports-from-the-city-ground-1487343.html

• Thanks 1