Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Riyad Mahrez

9 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Fair play to him, wouldn't be able to turn that money down, I don't think 99% of people would either.

Best player I've ever seen at LCFC and a magician on the pitch, shame he was a bit of a bellend towards the end of his time here.

Most of the players and fans are bellends at times.... so don't let that cloud your judgement. 

He's the best player to play for us in our history and we were extremely lucky to witness it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phil Bowman said:

I don't believe I was acting in any such way. I just said was that these footballers are greedy. I'd say the same about any ridiculously rich person who clearly just wants even more money.

But - I do believe there are some people in the world who if they got richer than most people could ever even dream of, wouldn't just want more and more and more without caring where it came from.

I mean being in a privileged western society already puts one at a moral disadvantage.

I hope you're right in your assumption, but I haven't seen much evidence that suggests the average person says no to wealth. 

Most people's career trajectory and increasing living standards with age proves to me that most are not content until they have the most comfortable life they can have.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gerblod said:

One of Mahrez' domestics took him and his missus to court for non-payment of wages. That's the measure of the man. Football wise he's still a magician, but never a team player. With some people, like Lineker for instance, you know they're going to do something significant after they give up playing. I see long hours of nothing much achieved after he retires. But him and Vardy are, without too much doubt, the best two players to have pulled on the royal blue.

Not good when you consider that he owned a watch worth £0.25m, before it was stolen. It was probably only as accurate as my crappy £10 quartz watch!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, shen said:

I hope you're right in your assumption, but I haven't seen much evidence that suggests the average person says no to wealth. 

You keep disagreeing with things I'm not actually saying.

I said I believe there are some people in the world who, if they got wealth, wouldn't keep wanting to get more regardless of where it came from.

I've never said that anyone doesn't want wealth. I'm just criticising people who are richer than Croesus but just want more and more dosh no matter what.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tomtom said:

He's the best (attacking midfielder) to play for us in our history and we were extremely lucky to witness it

Fixed. IMO.

Not the best player in our history when you consider Lineker, Izzet, and way back, Allan Clarke, Shilton, Banks etc. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, String fellow said:

Who can forget Mahrez's wonderful hat-trick away to Swansea City in December 2015? Although at the time, I was also bitterly disappointed that that 3-0 victory brought an end to Vardy's incredible scoring run of 11 PL matches. Heady days - how things have changed since then!

Yeah it’s kinda sad looking back, being a Leicester fan for 45 yrs, never ever thought I would see them days 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Fixed. IMO.

Not the best player in our history when you consider Lineker, Izzet, and way back, Allan Clarke, Shilton, Banks etc. 

For me Para, he surpasses all of them.

The only person I’d consider close is Vardy. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

You keep disagreeing with things I'm not actually saying.

I said I believe there are some people in the world who, if they got wealth, wouldn't keep wanting to get more regardless of where it came from.

I've never said that anyone doesn't want wealth. I'm just criticising people who are richer than Croesus but just want more and more dosh no matter what.

And by all means do. What I'm saying is that it's no wonder (rich) people are leaning into it - our societies and cultures are basically encouraging it. 

His best spell for us was the first three months of Puel's reign. Genuinely phenomenal before his strike and missing matches.

Such a shame it happened because virtually everyone would have wished him well when he left. His trophy cabinet is befitting of a player of his quality but there was a sour taste about the ending.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sly said:

For me Para, he surpasses all of them.

The only person I’d consider close is Vardy. 

All of these just get the plaudits because of the Flair and the goals.

For me its Kante. loved watching mahrez but No way we won the league without kante, took total control in the most important part of the field for me, and carried it on wherever he went.

Edited by gw_leics772
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

All of these just get the plaudits because of the Flair and the goals.

For me its Kante. loved watching mahrez but No way we won the league without kante, took total control in the most important part of the field for me, and carried it on wherever he went.

Haha what? Are you serious? :D “just because of the flair and goals”?! you do realise scoring goals and outfoxing defenders is a pretty huge part to winning football games right?

No way we won the league without Mahrez either. No way we won the league without about 9 other players . I’ve never been convinced we’d had won the league without Nathan Dyer even given how important his goal vs Villa was in building our ridiculous momentum early on. 

I don’t like how people more and more try to make out Kante was a one man team. He was of course great, but he wasn’t the one phenomenally stopping everything behind him as Morgan and Huth did or making Vardy and Mahrez #1 and #2 for goal contributions that season either. Not to mention the incredibly important goals by the likes of Ulloa, Okazaki, Huth, Morgan  and even Nathan Dyer at times of the season.

We won the league because about 13 or 14 players completely played out their skin not because Kante was a one-man team who carried 10 men on his back. He was the best at what he did that season, no question, but so were so many other of our players.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Haha what? Are you serious? :D “just because of the flair and goals”?! you do realise scoring goals and outfoxing defenders is a pretty huge part to winning football games right?

No way we won the league without Mahrez either. No way we won the league without about 9 other players . I’ve never been convinced we’d had won the league without Nathan Dyer even given how important his goal vs Villa was in building our ridiculous momentum early on. 

I don’t like how people more and more try to make out Kante was a one man team. He was of course great, but he wasn’t the one phenomenally stopping everything behind him as Morgan and Huth did or making Vardy and Mahrez #1 and #2 for goal contributions that season either. Not to mention the incredibly important goals by the likes of Ulloa, Okazaki, Huth, Morgan  and even Nathan Dyer at times of the season.

We won the league because about 13 or 14 players completely played out their skin not because Kante was a one-man team who carried 10 men on his back. He was the best at what he did that season, no question, but so were so many other of our players.

Tldr; he didn't agree with me. I can live with that, just felt like giving my two penneth 🤣

7 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

Tldr; he didn't agree with me. I can live with that, just felt like giving my two penneth 🤣

Saying “no way we would’ve won the league without Kante” is such an antagonistic reason as to why you think Kante is better than someone like Mahrez or Vardy though. On its own fine, but in giving it as a reason as to why Kante was better than Mahrez you’re implying you think we would’ve won the league without the likes of them too and that Kante carried the other 10 players. 

It’s not “just giving your 2 pennies”, it’s an inherently inflammatory statement trying to imply Kante was essentially a one man team and I hate how both neutrals and sadly even Leicester fans seem to have been trying to put this narrative forward more and more in the years since we won the league.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sampson said:

:appl:

On 28/07/2023 at 19:58, iancognito said:

TBF he left us for a big club, won 4 more PLs the UCL and countless other trophies. There comes a point where you just complete football. He could stay at that big club for another couple of seasons win one or two more pots but the money this lot are paying is ridiculous. If you've won nothing here that's different but when you've got the medals and a cabinet full of silverware you'd be mad not to finish your career with crazy tax-free cash. Even if you've already got millions in the bank, it's money that literally secures the futures for your family and their future generations.

It’s pretty filthy money. You’d far rather earn it by doing something respectable like racketeering or prostitution. But then I suppose Man City was a good training ground for not asking who paid you, or what they’d done to people to maintain their wealth…

2 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

It’s pretty filthy money. You’d far rather earn it by doing something respectable like racketeering or prostitution. But then I suppose Man City was a good training ground for not asking who paid you, or what they’d done to people to maintain their wealth…

It's also like semi retirement, easing yourself in. Easier and paid ridiculous sums.

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Saying “no way we would’ve won the league without Kante” is such an antagonistic reason as to why you think Kante is better than someone like Mahrez or Vardy though. On its own fine, but in giving it as a reason as to why Kante was better than Mahrez you’re implying you think we would’ve won the league without the likes of them too and that Kante carried the other 10 players. 

It’s not “just giving your 2 pennies”, it’s an inherently inflammatory statement trying to imply Kante was essentially a one man team and I hate how both neutrals and sadly even Leicester fans seem to have been trying to put this narrative forward more and more in the years since we won the league.

Have a snickers mate, you're not the same when you're hungry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, tomtom said:

He's the best player to play for us in our history and we were extremely lucky to witness it

He was in the top 3 players of our greatest season, and we were lucky to witness it. He was also very lucky to join a team growing as it did, with the personalities that were around him, while he made the transition from skinny kid from Le Havre, and put his skills before a genuinely global audience.

Lots of serendipity, and a happy outcome for all, but it wasn’t like he emerged as the ghost of Pele and chose to bestow his genius on little Leicester. We worked very well for each other, and he’d do well to reflect on that next time he feels like having a go.

Edited by Oxfordfox83
  • Like 2