Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Riyad Mahrez

1 hour ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

He’s 32 and won everything there is to win, whilst being known as one of the best African players of all time. He’s got an unbelievable legacy. And now he’ll have an unbelievable pay packet 

Yeah, he's gonna be just fine.

3 hours ago, joeisnothome said:

I do think he's very underrated as the debate of club legends goes.

I'm not sure how people can put one season Kante above him either.  Yes Kante was a key played in the title winning team, but he turned up at the right time and was off as soon as he could get away.  Mahrez gave us 4 seasons, played more games than he has for Man City, and while he had to push hard to get his big move, he deserved it.

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 4

Sorry but it is pure greed. These players going off to Saudi already have the money to set up generations of their families. And no, not everybody is greedy. If I won £1m on the Euromillions secondary prize for example, I’d be beyond delighted at that and wouldn’t ever both entering anything like they again as why would I? What we are talking about here, is people who have won the main prize and keep entering to win again. 

There is no football related reason for going there. They threaten to further ruin the game with money (which granted is far enough gone anyway). It is clear that these players and managers do not love the game as they wouldn’t contribute to such an threat to it.  

It is a shame to see Kante and Mahrez both go down this route. All respect to the like of Vardy who rejected the idea out of hand and Marco Silva as another example who rejected it. 

I always a slight glimmer of hope we’d maybe get him for a year again when he was past his best, I love the ****. I know he threw toys out of the pram at the end, but genuinely i don’t think I could blame him at the time. We were a club going nowhere at the time. People who like Kante more are bizarre to me, geezer ****ed off first chance he got for the bigger pay packet.

Once you get to that level of wealth, does earning even more really make much difference? Especially having to uproot your life and move to a literal desert. I'm not so sure. 

At least for him he doesn't have to betray his conscience to move there. He's an Algerian Muslim so probably isn't keen on human rights. Not like Henderson, the hypocritical bellend.

Anyway, I wish him no ill will, the bloke's an absolute magician.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HarryDee8 said:

Hes gonna get bored in the Saudi league, wasted trophies and legacy for money

...funny enough I think despite the lure of money, he will enjoy his football more!!!

With the Man. City football system being very structured and formulated and he will have more freedom playing in this new Saudi league. No doubt it may be the most happier that he will be, since playing "concrete football."

9 hours ago, HarryDee8 said:

Hes gonna get bored in the Saudi league, wasted trophies and legacy for money

Footballers have a finite amount of years to make as much money as possible, often so that the people they love will never have to worry for money for the rest of their lives and even their grandchildren. I totally get it.

Going to Saudi in no way changes his achievements.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

It’s pretty filthy money. You’d far rather earn it by doing something respectable like racketeering or prostitution. But then I suppose Man City was a good training ground for not asking who paid you, or what they’d done to people to maintain their wealth…

I'm not going to lie. If I was offered £500k a week (average from what I've seen so far) tax free for the final two years of my career from Al-beheddi or anyone else for that matter, I wouldn't have a principle left in me and I doubt most other people would either. Even if you translate that into an every day job, if someone offers you 150k a year instead of 30k, you struggling to turn them down. It's life changing money at any class of life and you or me turning it down doesn't make a jot of difference to what the Saudi's have done to others either in the past or the future.

• Like 1

Just now, iancognito said:

I'm not going to lie. If I was offered £500k a week (average from what I've seen so far) tax free for the final two years of my career from Al-beheddi or anyone else for that matter, I wouldn't have a principle left in me and I doubt most other people would either. Even if you translate that into an every day job, if someone offers you 150k a year instead of 30k, you struggling to turn them down. It's life changing money at any class of life and you or me turning it down doesn't make a jot of difference to what the Saudi's have done to others either in the past or the future.

I like to think if it were Paddy Power, or Nigel Farage, or some other excrement, I’d have more scruples. 

Come on rich scumbags-make me an offer I can’t refuse…

10 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

Once you get to that level of wealth, does earning even more really make much difference? Especially having to uproot your life and move to a literal desert. I'm not so sure. 

At least for him he doesn't have to betray his conscience to move there. He's an Algerian Muslim so probably isn't keen on human rights. Not like Henderson, the hypocritical bellend.

Anyway, I wish him no ill will, the bloke's an absolute magician.

It depends what you do with your wealth. If you're like Kante or Sadio Mane or Drogba that have ploughed money into projects in Africa or their own charities, the more money the greater spread of wealth there is. It's not always an extra storey on your house or a new car. You can spread more round your kids & family or spread the reach of your charities, or their longevity.

The Henderson situation is different because of his previous quotes. The statement he made is forever out there. Whatever his plans for his wages his previous virtue signalling has come back to bite him (as it does in most cases from people who want to cast a saintly image)

• Like 1

On 29/07/2023 at 22:44, Sampson said:

Saying “no way we would’ve won the league without Kante” is such an antagonistic reason as to why you think Kante is better than someone like Mahrez or Vardy though. On its own fine, but in giving it as a reason as to why Kante was better than Mahrez you’re implying you think we would’ve won the league without the likes of them too and that Kante carried the other 10 players. 

It’s not “just giving your 2 pennies”, it’s an inherently inflammatory statement trying to imply Kante was essentially a one man team and I hate how both neutrals and sadly even Leicester fans seem to have been trying to put this narrative forward more and more in the years since we won the league.

What is disappointing is that, on here, squabbles are sullying what we all could see at the time - that three 'ridiculously' talented players (and let's not forget Drinkwater and Fuchs) provided City with a skill set which brushed aside several other fancied teams with comparitive ease that season. Kanté's transition work of foiling attacks (which protected Huth and Morgan) and then carrying the ball forward at unsettling speed, allowed Mahrez and Vardy space and time to pull off their own magic. It's a team game - all added their own strengths to that side and Vardy and Mahrez, as a pairing, are up there with the best.

Btw "two penneth",  "two pennorth"  and all other variations come from "two pennies worth" - mostly shortened to 'two pennyworth".

• Like 1