Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Riyad Mahrez

57 minutes ago, murphy said:

The problem was not losing Mahrez, It wasn't possible to keep him and he made sure that he set his bridges ablaze.  We invested his fee well strengthening the team.  It was a net gain imo.  The problem is repeated failed attempts to find a decent RW.

Yeah absolutely agree, wasn't saying we could have tried to keep him lol 

17 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Yep or Roma, but still never know what would would’ve happened. He could’ve won player of the year again and ended up at Bayern etc winning the CL, he’s that good! 

...we were lucky to have picked up £60m for him!!!

It wasn't as if there was a host of clubs knocking down the door to sign him up. If Man. City had not come up with that money I wonder if we would have looked to drop the price or decided to retain his services until someone came up with a price we were comfortable with. 

28 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Yep or Roma, but still never know what would would’ve happened. He could’ve won player of the year again and ended up at Bayern etc winning the CL, he’s that good! 

It wasn't as if there was a host of clubs knocking down the door to sign him up. If Man. City had not come up with that money I wonder if we would have looked to drop the price or decided to retain his services until someone came up with a price we were comfortable with. 

Edited by sacreblueits442
Double post.

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Yep you’re probably right 

3 hours ago, Bert said:

Everyone saying they don’t miss him... There’s not one fan that can actively say they wouldn’t have him back here unless they’re just bitter. 

I won’t have him back because of the lack of respect he’s shown the club when he threw his strop and then the comments he’s made after. I admit I am bitter towards him and also admit we could use a talented player in RW but we’re not as dependent on him as we were and a much more balanced outfit now. I wonder if Rodgers had the opportunity would he take him, I don’t think he will fit in his intensive tactics.

Was a great player when he turned it on but I remember loads of subpar performances towards the end

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MGLCFC said:

Not sure we were fighting off relegation. Granted it wasn't the best of seasons domestically, but did he forget that that season we also manged to give Athletico Madrid a fantastic run for their money in the Champions League Quarter Final. Comes across as ungrateful, to me. Brilliant talent, however, where would he have been without Leicester taking a chance on him?

Being a total baby with his comments but we were utterly dreadful that season I’d say - this was after 25 games.

3110EC80-7F40-4C73-ABEF-56632326670D.jpegCrazy to think where we are now

Edited by OhYesNdidi
  • Like 1

Just like a lot at Man City - bad winner and not thankful for what he’s got. It’s almost as when you’ve been handed an awful lot, you don’t appreciate it. 

As others said, he joins Arsenal - he has one CL season and a couple of FA Cup’s. Instead by waiting he becomes a multiple league winner and multiple CL campaigns 

3 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Being a total baby with his comments but we were utterly dreadful that season I’d say - this was after 25 games.

3110EC80-7F40-4C73-ABEF-56632326670D.jpegCrazy to think where we are now

Generally he didn’t turn up that season though did he? Can only think at home to Southampton and away at Hull where he made a real difference - Great Escape period included 

9 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Generally he didn’t turn up that season though did he? Can only think at home to Southampton and away at Hull where he made a real difference - Great Escape period included 

For a few seasons you could definitely see he wasn’t up to playing against the lower and mid table teams. 

11 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yeah, he was rubbish that season overall, but the team were pretty dreadful. Former champions lining up with a King-Amartey CM will always stand out lol

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

I won’t have him back because of the lack of respect he’s shown the club when he threw his strop and then the comments he’s made after. I admit I am bitter towards him and also admit we could use a talented player in RW but we’re not as dependent on him as we were and a much more balanced outfit now. I wonder if Rodgers had the opportunity would he take him, I don’t think he will fit in his intensive tactics.

Was a great player when he turned it on but I remember loads of subpar performances towards the end

If he was willing to buy into our project for the next 3-4 years, without any sulking nonsense, I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Had we not sold Mahrez we possibly wouldn't have signed Maddison, Ricardo and Soyuncu. So I don't tend wish we'd kept him. 

I just wish we could have had our cake and eaten it.

Mahrez - or indeed someone like him - is the final piece to our team IMO.

• Like 2

Just now, AKCJ said:

I just wish we could have had our cake and eaten it.

Mahrez - or indeed someone like him - is the final piece to our team IMO.

Agreed. Somehow find a RW who fits Rodgers requirements of goals, assists, pressing and defensive contribution and another striker option and we will be up there challenging again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Yeah, he was rubbish that season overall, but the team were pretty dreadful. Former champions lining up with a King-Amartey CM will always stand out lol

I'm talking about Great Escape 14/15 season. He was in and out the team. Nige started to play him in a no.10 in a 3-5-2 towards the end of the Great Escape but before that there wasn't a logical position for him. He started the season decent - should had Barry sent off on opening day for tying him up in knots. 

EDIT: Yeah my error on the table 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Agreed. Somehow find a RW who fits Rodgers requirements of goals, assists, pressing and defensive contribution and another striker option and we will be up there challenging again. 

I think it is the most difficult position to buy for.  We have failed a few times with wingers and so have a lot of other clubs.  However, we are very lucky that we had a top drawer winger fall into our laps (Barnes).

Just now, murphy said:

I think it is the most difficult position to buy for.  We have failed a few times with wingers and so have a lot of other clubs.  However, we are very lucky that we had a top drawer winger fall into our laps (Barnes).

Is it the most difficult position to buy? I don't agree, we just seem to struggle to recruit successful strikers and wingers since we've been in the PL. Our record is atrocious and yet midfielders and defenders it's phenomenal. 

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Is it the most difficult position to buy? I don't agree, we just seem to struggle to recruit successful strikers and wingers since we've been in the PL. Our record is atrocious and yet midfielders and defenders it's phenomenal. 

Forward players are more difficult in general and more expensive! 

In pure footballing terms you’d be mad to not want him back, but as a club we’ve developed an identity beyond that. It’s as much about application from our players as it is about ability. But even if he could just get on without exhibiting his petulant behaviour and sulking, I still wouldn’t want him.

Ultimately, he disrespected the club, the owners, the management, the other players and each of us when he went on strike. Then again by making those comments. I have zero time for him. Old news though it may be, I sincerely doubt his attitude has changed.

• Like 4