Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Riyad Mahrez

I'll remember Mahrez for several reasons - one of them being his (accidental) two-footed penalty 'scored' against Manchester City in 2017, which was disallowed due to the absurd law regarding penalties and free-kicks, and there only being one contact with the ball permissible. That incident put me in mind of Ernie Hunt's famous volleyed goal for Coventry City against Everton in 1970, due to Willie Carr's two-footed donkey kick, which FIFA later boringly legislated against.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOS8T8Ypn10

Edited by String fellow
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Captain... said:

Kante owed us one more season at least, regardless of sell on clause. We'd just won the league and he left us for a team not in the champions league. 

Any chance of really building on our league win fell apart when he left. I'm not angry with Kante but it fvcked us over way more than Mahrez's tantrum and departure. Mahrez gave us another season and a half after winning the title before getting pissed off at the way he was treated by our occasionally incompetent board.

...Mahrez claimed he was a prisoner and we reneged on our agreement!!!

Kante did not want to come here, we were his last resort. Imagine going to a club you are not interested in and expecting to give your best. He did what was asked of him, played the best he could and got through the season.

A big club that he would have been aware of came in for him, offered more money and met the buyout clause. Chelsea wanted him so much they paid extra, just like the Fofana deal we do not appear to appreciate the slice of luck in the timing of one arrival and the departure of the other.

I will take both circumstances every day of the week, the incredible look that befell us, I have no animosity against either player.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...he claimed he had an agreement that he could leave but we reneged on that agreement and he lost a season where he could have been playing Champions League football!!!

thanks... i wonder if he did?

41 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...he claimed he had an agreement that he could leave but we reneged on that agreement and he lost a season where he could have been playing Champions League football!!!

I can't remember the specifics - was that when Roma only bid £30m for him?

17 hours ago, lfu said:

I can't remember the specifics - was that when Roma only bid £30m for him?

...Leicester had set a value that was not matched by suitors, I  cannot recall the amount, and therefore retained his services!!!

He, Mahrez claimed that we had asked him to stay one more season and then we would allow him to go at an agreed price. As it seemed the value was not met (according to the club) he was asked to stay for another season. 

That is why he believes that he had lost a season playing Champions League football. 

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Plastik Man said:

Still one of my favourite moments. An incredible touch which wasn't lauded enough at the time.

Was watching a video of Jack Graelish and he said Mahrez had the best first touch out of everyone on the Man City squad.

• Like 2

Who can forget Mahrez's wonderful hat-trick away to Swansea City in December 2015? Although at the time, I was also bitterly disappointed that that 3-0 victory brought an end to Vardy's incredible scoring run of 11 PL matches. Heady days - how things have changed since then!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Seems strange how desperate he was to leave us for a big club and now how desperate he is to leave the big clubs and go and play in the desert at a shit standard with empty stadiums.

It's almost as if the only thing he ever gave a shit about was money. Even now he's rich beyond most people's wildest dreams, he clearly just wants more.

Same goes for all the multi-millionaires heading off to Saudi.

F**k the lot of them.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

It's almost as if the only thing he ever gave a shit about was money. Even now he's rich beyond most people's wildest dreams, he clearly just wants more.

Same goes for all the multi-millionaires heading off to Saudi.

F**k the lot of them.

Like most players then.

52 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Who can forget Mahrez's wonderful hat-trick away to Swansea City in December 2015? Although at the time, I was also bitterly disappointed that that 3-0 victory brought an end to Vardy's incredible scoring run of 11 PL matches. Heady days - how things have changed since then!

An unsung highlight of that season. That first half was as viscous a display I've seen from any team. We tore them apart. They simply couldn't get near us. 2-0 at HT was flattering in the extreme. If the balance of play had been reflected, we'd have been 6 or 7 up. 

Second half we took the foot off the gas, as all good trams can. No sense at all of them getting a goal back and us wobbling. It was absolute, total control.of a game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

If memory serves right, one of them would certainly have been chalked off for offside with VAR (Kanté pass?)

2 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Like most people then.

We normal folk act all morally high and mighty, but a person would need to have very strong beliefs or be obtuse to reject a lottery ticket/lifelong retirement pension...

15 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

If you've been a successful Premier League footballer for the best part of a decade, you've already won your lottery ticket/lifelong pension.

Wanting yet more is just greed.

Why act as if greed is not common among all people? The western world has steadily moved towards a culture that heralds self-realization and self-made people. The step from there to greed is very small and footballers are just as prone to that as normal folk.

49 minutes ago, shen said:

Why act as if greed is not common among all people?

I don't believe I was acting in any such way. I just said was that these footballers are greedy. I'd say the same about any ridiculously rich person who clearly just wants even more money.

But - I do believe there are some people in the world who if they got richer than most people could ever even dream of, wouldn't just want more and more and more without caring where it came from.

• Like 3