Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Riyad Mahrez

8 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Disagree. He’s an immensely talented player who deserves every inch of success he’s achieved - he’s come a bloody long way to get there. No luck involved, just a lot of hard work and ridiculous talent 

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve his success, I'm saying he's fortunate that we didn't agree to sell him to Arsenal and that Man City then signed him a year or two later. Otherwise he'd have 1 measly domestic cup to his name and no CL football since 2016 either.

6 hours ago, murphy said:

Marseille  lol

Is that the same Marseille that refused to stump up £8m for Kante when they were his preferred option?  lol   

About as perspicacious as rice pudding, that lot.

I seem to remember their president sneering that they do not fish in the same waters as Leicester City re Kante.

Just checked, I was wrong. It was Villarreal 😂

8 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

I expect a few hate posts in here, loved him as our player and I will always see him as a legend, most technically gifted player I have seen play for us.

I’m of the same opinion. As a footballer he was brilliant, still is actually. 

As a person, I’m not so sure. 

He wanted to leave and could have gone about it a better way. It’s hard to tell really, what’s agent talk, what was promised and what’s media spin. 

The personal stuff outside of football makes him quite dislikable. 

15 hours ago, Nalis said:

Also, I dont like slating ex players but bloody hell, Mahrez doesnt half moan does he? Constantly at it. He's at one of the best clubs in the world and plays as much as he could hope, what more does he want?

Petulant, ungrateful, childish, greedy to**er, and by his attitude I believe has removed himself from the adoration most City fans have for the immortals of 15/16, certainly I personally was glad to see him gone. Give me Marc Albrighton every time, half the player, TWICE the man.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, dayday said:

'Frustrated' Riyad Mahrez reveals how Leicester City blocked Arsenal transfer before Man City move

The Algerian winger wanted to leave the Foxes after their Premier League title success in 2016 but was forced to wait two years.

Manchester City star Riyad Mahrez has revealed Leicester City blocked a move to Arsenal after winning the Premier League in 2016 leaving the winger "frustrated".

The Foxes lifted the 2015/16 title in phenomenal circumstances, with Mahrez netting 17 goals and registering 11 assists as he scooped the PFA Player of the Year award. 

Like Jamie Vardy, Mahrez has now revealed he had agreed a deal to move to Arsenal the following summer, with Arsene Wenger keen for the Algerian to move to the Emirates Stadium.

However, Leicester blocked the deal and Mahrez didn't get his big-money move until 2018 when he joined Manchester City, two years later, with Claudio Ranieri's men forced to fight relegation the following campaign in a miserable title defence.

Mahrez had amitted he was left very "frustrated" by the failed move, as it would have allowed him to arrive "at the highest level" two years earlier.

Mahrez told France Football: "After the title, if I'd left for a top team, it wouldn't have been the same story.

For me, it's clear that I lost two years at the highest level. I lost two years! Because instead of arriving at City at 27, I could have been there at 24, 25.

Leicester blocked me. They told me: 'You're not leaving, you're not leaving'.

My agent had spoken to [Arsene] Wenger who really wanted me. It was nearly all done with Arsenal in 2016. I was really frustrated. 

"It wasn't easy to go from being the best player in the Premier League to being a part of a team fighting against relegation.

It's not the same job. Everyone is waiting for you around the corner."

On joining Manchester City, he added: "He [Guardiola] was happy first. He said he was very happy to have me here.

"He said we're going to make big things together with the team."

I didn’t realise Arsenal was in for him, would that of been a good career move?, I doubt it looking at Arsenal now.

this is proper old isn't it; he has not said this again recently

he almost apologised for this interview, I really dont think he meant it to come across the way it did

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Everyone saying they don’t miss him... There’s not one fan that can actively say they wouldn’t have him back here unless they’re just bitter. 

Ridiculous isn't it lol he's literally exactly what we are missing and have done since he left. We'd be comfortably second with a world class right winger. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Ridiculous isn't it lol he's literally exactly what we are missing and have done since he left. We'd be comfortably second with a world class right winger. 

The problem was not losing Mahrez, It wasn't possible to keep him and he made sure that he set his bridges ablaze.  We invested his fee well strengthening the team.  It was a net gain imo.  The problem is repeated failed attempts to find a decent RW.

1 hour ago, Gordon the Great said:

Petulant, ungrateful, childish, greedy to**er, and by his attitude I believe has removed himself from the adoration most City fans have for the immortals of 15/16, certainly I personally was glad to see him gone. Give me Marc Albrighton every time, half the player, TWICE the man.

He's a Leicester legend and I look forward to having a pre match drink in the Riyad Mahrez Lounge in 10 years time

(although as he's a muslim it'll probably be just an orange juice)

• Haha 1

Not a fan of Riyad the person, he seemed to change character from humble to a complete arrogant entitled whiny bitch. Maybe he always had that streak in him. As a player we obviously know the talent he has and well done  to him for maximising it and winning lots of silverware.

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve his success, I'm saying he's fortunate that we didn't agree to sell him to Arsenal and that Man City then signed him a year or two later. Otherwise he'd have 1 measly domestic cup to his name and no CL football since 2016 either.

Yep or Roma, but still never know what would would’ve happened. He could’ve won player of the year again and ended up at Bayern etc winning the CL, he’s that good!