Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ivan Toney

Brentford are in an excellent bargaining position wether they go up or not. 4 years left on his contract and fantastic goals and assists numbers - he’d be far too expensive for us IMO, especially if there’s a multitude of clubs after him too.

Eduoard would be much cheaper and much more likely.

6 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Brentford are in an excellent bargaining position wether they go up or not. 4 years left on his contract and fantastic goals and assists numbers - he’d be far too expensive for us IMO, especially if there’s a multitude of clubs after him too.

Eduoard would be much cheaper and much more likely.

Posh got a chunky sell on clause too so Brentford wouldn’t sell for less than 35-40 I think 

• Thanks 1

Wouldn't be wanting to blow half our budget on him. Much like every striker before him at Brentford, he benefits from playing in a team that actively tries to score goals. His finishes aren't particularly impressive enough for me to think spending 30/40 million on a player like him would be worth the risk.

4 minutes ago, Paul Miller said:

Leicester are also a team that actively tries to score goals, so he will suit your style of play, and who’s worried if his goals aren’t impressive enough, finding the back of the net is the most important thing, 21 from open play, 9 penalties and 10 assists are what counts.

He is still relatively young and will only get better, for those that have never watched him he has  become an all round team player, a quick, tireless and unselfish worker that puts himself about, for a forward his defending attributes are fantastic as well, Many teams are still regretting not signing Ollie Watkins, and he’s turned out OK for his first season, Ivan Toney is a much better all round player, Hence the interest shown in him at this present time.

He will be worth every penny of our quoted £35 million asking fee, mind you this will only happen if we fail to be promoted, All fingers crossed this time round that we can make it.

You say that but Rodgers appears to be slowly morphing into the love child of Jose Mourinho and Rafa Benitez :D

My worry would be that he doesn't get half as many tap ins or headers playing for us and will better goalkeepers save his shots. The way you've described him sounds like a dream player and ideal Vardy replacement. I'd want at least £15-20 million of the transfer fee to be based upon achievements. Goals scored, appearances, champions league qualification etc.

The plus side is that he does have another big transfer in him if it didn't go quite to plan.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

You say that but Rodgers appears to be slowly morphing into the love child of Jose Mourinho and Rafa Benitez :D

My worry would be that he doesn't get half as many tap ins or headers playing for us and will better goalkeepers save his shots. The way you've described him sounds like a dream player and ideal Vardy replacement. I'd want at least £15-20 million of the transfer fee to be based upon achievements. Goals scored, appearances, champions league qualification etc.

The plus side is that he does have another big transfer in him if it didn't go quite to plan.

Brentford don't work like that, we set a price what we think is suitable to us and very rarely budge from that figure, as we have no urgent need to sell any player unless they are coming into their final year of contract, Toney has until 2025 so we hold all the cards, we also never stand in any players way if they want to move on, that's how we, as a small club attract players to join us in the first place, We Buy, Develop, Sell on, that's the only way we successfully survive in todays game.

If we don't go up he will obviously move on, we won't be short of interested parties and should obtain what price is asked, whoever buys him will be getting long term value.

Just now, Paul Miller said:

Brentford don't work like that, we set a price what we think is suitable to us and very rarely budge from that figure, as we have no urgent need to sell any player unless they are coming into their final year of contract, Toney has until 2025 so we hold all the cards, we also never stand in any players way if they want to move on, that's how we, as a small club attract players to join us in the first place, We Buy, Develop, Sell on, that's the only way we successfully survive in todays game.

If we don't go up he will obviously move on, we won't be short of interested parties and should obtain what price is asked, whoever buys him will be getting long term value.

I love how your club are run, reading the football code was a real eye opener into how you operate.

If other clubs want to spend £35 million and take the risk, then fair play. We just have more pressing areas to improve at the moment and haven't really spent big at all since we've gone up. So if it meant that we had to spend half of our budget on an unproven striker in his mid 20s, then I would rather let him go somewhere else.

50 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Every Toney thread fills me with incandescent levels of rage and frustration.

What actually happened? I know as much as the player wanted to go to you but that's it. 

59 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Every Toney thread fills me with incandescent levels of rage and frustration.

Mate, we released him as a youth player. He'll be like our Pogba if we end up paying wedge for him. 

Maybe it'll be karma for the success with Vards though. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Finnegan said:

Mate, we released him as a youth player. He'll be like our Pogba if we end up paying wedge for him. 

I think it's more embarrassing for the likes of Newcastle really. Releasing the lad at 15/16 is fair enough, but Newcastle gave him away after continually loaning him out and watching him improve. They have since spent over 100m trying to find a decent striker.... lol 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm meaning the fact he should be a Celtic player if Lawell wasn't such a fat penny pinching waste of space.

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I'm meaning the fact he should be a Celtic player if Lawell wasn't such a fat penny pinching waste of space.

I know what you meant, I'm just pointing out you're talking to Leicester fans, we actually had him on our books and let him go a la Vardy & Wednesday. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

What actually happened? I know as much as the player wanted to go to you but that's it. 

The one word I'd use is omnishambles, the exact same scenario as when we had deals lined up for Piccini and McGinn and Lawell tried to be fly and lost out on both players.

Toney himself and Barry Fry had been on record saying Celtic were his preferred choice, but they wanted £7m up-front plus a further £2m in add-ons. Lawell the embaressment wouldn't budge from £5m up front with £2m in add-ons.

After making an arse of that we then went and gave West Ham £5m for Ajeti, despite West Ham saying we could take him on loan for a year at first with a £5m option at the end of the season.

We not only missed out on Toney who is now a £30m+ player but are also £5m lighter and lumbered with the unfit, uninterested, overweight charlatan that is Ajeti.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Not sure this is in fact true. Northampton I was told.

Toney is definitely from Northampton, his family have lived there for years.  He made his Cobblers debut at 16, but I'm not sure if he spent a bit of time before that within the LCFC structure.  Seem to remember a few people saying he was at the academy, but that might have been as a 10 year old as far as I know.

6 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Not sure this is in fact true. Northampton I was told.

I'm sure I read on here he was part of our academy and released at 16? Joined Northampton from here? 

A Google search throws up a few articles from 2014 when Wolves almost signed him for 500k saying the same thing. 

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm sure I read on here he was part of our academy and released at 16? Joined Northampton from here? 

A Google search throws up a few articles from 2014 when Wolves almost signed him for 500k saying the same thing. 

Yeah if he was here I think it's when he was very young don't think he was ever a scholar or anything, but I was told Northampton youth team.

9 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Posh got a chunky sell on clause too so Brentford wouldn’t sell for less than 35-40 I think 

I would guess it would be the same fee as Watkins. (Which isn’t far from this) Brentford usually have an understanding with players that they buy to sell. They rarely price a player out of a move

15 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I would guess it would be the same fee as Watkins. (Which isn’t far from this) Brentford usually have an understanding with players that they buy to sell. They rarely price a player out of a move

Be more than watkins id expect

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

The one word I'd use is omnishambles, the exact same scenario as when we had deals lined up for Piccini and McGinn and Lawell tried to be fly and lost out on both players.

Toney himself and Barry Fry had been on record saying Celtic were his preferred choice, but they wanted £7m up-front plus a further £2m in add-ons. Lawell the embaressment wouldn't budge from £5m up front with £2m in add-ons.

After making an arse of that we then went and gave West Ham £5m for Ajeti, despite West Ham saying we could take him on loan for a year at first with a £5m option at the end of the season.

We not only missed out on Toney who is now a £30m+ player but are also £5m lighter and lumbered with the unfit, uninterested, overweight charlatan that is Ajeti.

We turned lewandowski down as an 18 year old. 

I still like the look of Matthias Pereira , advantage of premiership experience so minimal settling in time. He could form a lethal combo with Ricci and they both speak the same language. He has been a standout performer with an average team. I can't see the fee or the wages being a problem.

• Like 3