Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ivan Toney

https://the72.co.uk/233909/everton-leicester-city-ready-to-lock-horns-in-pursuit-of-brentfords-ivan-toney/amp/

Everton and Leicester City are reportedly readying bids for Brentford striker Ivan Toney once the season is complete, reports The Athletic.

The likes of Everton, Leicester City and Tottenham Hotspur have come into the race for Toney of late. The Brentford man has been a Premier League target all season, with Arsenal, Leeds United and West Ham having been the teams most closely linked before.

But now, Adam Leventhal of The Athletic claims that Everton and Leicester city are preparing bids for the 30-goal striker in time for the end of this current campaign.

Everton and Leicester City are reportedly one of a ‘host of clubs’ thought to be doing so, with Toney’s price tag seemingly set at £35million.

But the one-time Newcastle United man isn’t just a goal-scorer – his defensive work-rate has been hailed alongside his goals this season, and with ten assists to his name in the league too.

Brentford currently sit on the back of a three-game winning streak as they head into their final game of the normal season away at Bristol City, before heading into the play-offs for a second year running.

Thomas Frank’s side currently sit in 3rd-place of the table and could end up finishing the campaign just one point outside the top two.

Leicester need a long-term replacement for Jamie Vardy despite Kelechi Iheanacho’s recent exploits, and they could be pipping other admirers to the Brentford star with the offer of Champions League football.

Toney is not guaranteed regular playing opportunities at Tottenham should Harry Kane remain at the club beyond this season, and should the Bees fail to secure Premier League promotion, a move to Leicester or Everton could make a lot of sense.

17 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Toney would be a good fit. I think he’s also capable of playing up front in his own as well as with a partner. Won’t come cheap though. 

I'd imagine similar price to what Villa paid for Watkins, or maybe more considering Toney has scored an unbelievable 30 goals so far.

Depends on what Brentford do in the play offs.

25 years old from Northants, Newcastle, Peterborough, Brentford... just goes to show players get written off way too early.

All that said, I wonder if we are in for him or Edouard because I doubt it’ll be both!

I’m really undecided on both of the above tbh. Glad I’m not the chief scout... I guess we have a list of strikers and these two are on it and it comes down to money and negotiation, competition from other suitors etc.

I like the idea of Toney better than Edouard I think but I just don’t know if he’s a top four, champions league playing goal machine. Love to hear more from others who know more than having watched the same highlights reels I have! 

16 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I'd imagine similar price to what Villa paid for Watkins, or maybe more considering Toney has scored an unbelievable 30 goals so far.

Depends on what Brentford do in the play offs.

That’s it, if they fail to come up they will cash in. I’d be tempted to still go for him regardless, the more I see the more I like, he’s got a lot of attributes that would suit us, and he’s ice cool in front of goal. I’m excited to see how we approach the striking situation, because if we could have a pair that can chip in with 15-20 goals each we’re laughing, no one plays with a double strike force anymore, and it could be another “Leicester” and we end up winning the league because of an insane strike duo. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nick said:

25 years old from Northants, Newcastle, Peterborough, Brentford... just goes to show players get written off way too early.

All that said, I wonder if we are in for him or Edouard because I doubt it’ll be both!

I’m really undecided on both of the above tbh. Glad I’m not the chief scout... I guess we have a list of strikers and these two are on it and it comes down to money and negotiation, competition from other suitors etc.

I like the idea of Toney better than Edouard I think but I just don’t know if he’s a top four, champions league playing goal machine. Love to hear more from others who know more than having watched the same highlights reels I have! 

You also forgot we released him at 16!

• Thanks 1

I think he'd be great. Especially at Everton. For that reason alone I hope we get him. Not seen much of Daka but might he be better? And slightly cheaper too? I can't see us shelling out £35m on a striker when we have 2 good'uns already, even if we realistically need 3.

Watching all his goals from this year I'm surprised by how many of them are really good headers. Loves a diving / stretching header, in particular gets a few from set pieces.

I'd definitely be more keen with this than almost any other signing from a British club.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sly said:

https://the72.co.uk/233909/everton-leicester-city-ready-to-lock-horns-in-pursuit-of-brentfords-ivan-toney/amp/

Everton and Leicester City are reportedly readying bids for Brentford striker Ivan Toney once the season is complete, reports The Athletic.

The likes of Everton, Leicester City and Tottenham Hotspur have come into the race for Toney of late. The Brentford man has been a Premier League target all season, with Arsenal, Leeds United and West Ham having been the teams most closely linked before.

But now, Adam Leventhal of The Athletic claims that Everton and Leicester city are preparing bids for the 30-goal striker in time for the end of this current campaign.

Everton and Leicester City are reportedly one of a ‘host of clubs’ thought to be doing so, with Toney’s price tag seemingly set at £35million.

But the one-time Newcastle United man isn’t just a goal-scorer – his defensive work-rate has been hailed alongside his goals this season, and with ten assists to his name in the league too.

Brentford currently sit on the back of a three-game winning streak as they head into their final game of the normal season away at Bristol City, before heading into the play-offs for a second year running.

Thomas Frank’s side currently sit in 3rd-place of the table and could end up finishing the campaign just one point outside the top two.

Leicester need a long-term replacement for Jamie Vardy despite Kelechi Iheanacho’s recent exploits, and they could be pipping other admirers to the Brentford star with the offer of Champions League football.

Toney is not guaranteed regular playing opportunities at Tottenham should Harry Kane remain at the club beyond this season, and should the Bees fail to secure Premier League promotion, a move to Leicester or Everton could make a lot of sense.

He's not going to displace Calvert Lewin either. 

The one issue I have is that every single time I check the brentford scores it says Toney (Pen). Id imagine at least half if not more of his goals have come from the spot this season. 

Ill try and find out the exact split and edit this post. I have always thought he seemed decent though, so Im not  against it 

* 9 penaltys scored, 0 missed. Which out of 30 goals aint bad at all

Edited by Lambert09

14 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

He's not going to displace Calvert Lewin either. 

The one issue I have is that every single time I check the brentford scores it says Toney (Pen). Id imagine at least half if not more of his goals have come from the spot this season. 

Ill try and find out the exact split and edit this post. I have always thought he seemed decent though, so Im not  against it 

* 9 penaltys scored, 0 missed. Which out of 30 goals aint bad at all

If you look at Vardy's stats over the seasons when he has has been our penalty taker, I wonder if about one third of his goals are pens! 

I think Toney could be a better option than Edouard, but I have no real evidence to base my judgement on, other than gut feeling.

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

He's not going to displace Calvert Lewin either

I mean, he might. That's probably not the highest bar anyone's ever raised. 

We don't really know how consistent DCL is going to be. He's been leading the line for a team pushing for Champions League places all year and he's got comparable tallies to Bamford and Watkins, who did less in the Championship than Toney. 

Last year he got 13, the year before 6. Its not like he's got much track record being prolific and even within this season it's started to look like his early season form was a purple patch. 

At least when you look at Vardy with a similar tally this year we can point at history and say that this has been a quiet year for him and one slowed down by injuries and the fact he's 34.

Thats not to say DCL won't score similar numbers next year but I don't think it's quite the challenge that replacing Kane would be.