Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ivan Toney

14 hours ago, enmac said:

I like Danny Kelly, Paul Hawksby, Andy Jacobs, Max Rushden. Jason Cundy is OK. Agreed there's also a lot of crap. Only really listen to it because too much news gets too much for me, especially during the last year. 

I haven’t listened to Talksport for years tbf. Used to like Hawksby and Jacobs but the likes of Durham and Parry made me switch off. 

• Like 1

Is he not just a Che Adams/Joshua King type striker who wows in the Championship for a season but would struggle against Premier League defences? 

I think for the price tag of £30+ million, it's too big a gamble. Would prefer the younger and cheaper Edouard who Rodgers knows well already 

6 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Is he not just a Che Adams/Joshua King type striker who wows in the Championship for a season but would struggle against Premier League defences? 

I think for the price tag of £30+ million, it's too big a gamble. Would prefer the younger and cheaper Edouard who Rodgers knows well already 

This is what makes me laugh, he’ll cost £30m with no guarantee he’ll do well in the prem... but £40m is apparently too much for Abraham 🙄

• Like 2

7 hours ago, STUHILL said:

I think his all round game is quite good though. I think he's the kind of player that would be useful for the squad, even if he wasn't scoring every week. 

£30 mill is a lot of money, but even if he flopped at Prem level you'd recoup a good chunk of that selling him back to a Championship side these days.

Edited by Stuntman_Mike

On 09/05/2021 at 03:43, Stuntman_Mike said:

I think his all round game is quite good though. I think he's the kind of player that would be useful for the squad, even if he wasn't scoring every week. 

£30 mill is a lot of money, but even if he flopped at Prem level you'd recoup a good chunk of that selling him back to a Championship side these days.

Not anymore mate. The numbers we got used to seeing won’t be back for a long time now. Most of them are hanging on by fingernails 

On 09/05/2021 at 07:37, lcfc sheff said:

This is what makes me laugh, he’ll cost £30m with no guarantee he’ll do well in the prem... but £40m is apparently too much for Abraham 🙄

There's no guarantee Abraham would do well for us in the prem... 

• Like 4

On 09/05/2021 at 01:00, STUHILL said:

Josh king didn’t do great in the Championship 12 games 0 goals 

Adams 22 a couple of seasons ago.

I guess the nearest to compare him with would be Watkins as they were both at Brentford he scored 25 and is 2 short of 15 in his debut season.

if you could get a 24/25 year old player getting 15 goals in their first Premier league season 35m would be money well spent.

that’s the gamble I guess 

13 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Josh king didn’t do great in the Championship 12 games 0 goals 

Adams 22 a couple of seasons ago.

I guess the nearest to compare him with would be Watkins as they were both at Brentford he scored 25 and is 2 short of 15 in his debut season.

if you could get a 24/25 year old player getting 15 goals in their first Premier league season 35m would be money well spent.

that’s the gamble I guess 

In how many appearances though?

If he's playing week in week out and scoring 15 in 35 games is that good enough for where we want to be? I'd fancy Kel to out do manage that no problem.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

In how many appearances though?

If he's playing week in week out and scoring 15 in 35 games is that good enough for where we want to be? I'd fancy Kel to out do manage that no problem.

But as we have seen he has thrived in a 2.

toney 31 in 45

watkins 25 in 46

• Like 1

The thing about Toney that intrigues me is how well he's done at every level of football he's played at and has shown no signs of slowing down. That coupled with his very well-rounded game suggests to me that he'll do well in the PL. I don't think we're a good fit though; he'd cost too much, and we don't really have the space for a 25 year old who wants consistent gametime in our squad. If Vardy was finished and we only had Iheanacho then I could understand having two strikers of similar prospects competing/playing with each other, but as it is I think there are more important targets if we have the kind of money it would take to buy him (please for the love of God a right sides winger).

• Like 1

On 05/05/2021 at 13:39, Salieri said:

I haven’t listened to Talksport for years tbf. Used to like Hawksby and Jacobs but the likes of Durham and Parry made me switch off. 

I'm the other way round.. H&J are sooooo dull and spend way too long laughing at their own unfunny jokes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

The thing about Toney that intrigues me is how well he's done at every level of football he's played at and has shown no signs of slowing down. That coupled with his very well-rounded game suggests to me that he'll do well in the PL. I don't think we're a good fit though; he'd cost too much, and we don't really have the space for a 25 year old who wants consistent gametime in our squad. If Vardy was finished and we only had Iheanacho then I could understand having two strikers of similar prospects competing/playing with each other, but as it is I think there are more important targets if we have the kind of money it would take to buy him (please for the love of God a right sides winger).

I disagree with this. I think this season has shown us that Vardys time at the top is coming to an end. I think next year will be the first time that he actually struggles to make the 11. Iheanacho has been known to have drastic switches in form and who knows what player we will see after pre-season. 

I think we need to prioritize signing a talisman it could be Toney, Edouard or Abraham but whoever it is... we need to build around them. 

You can never take goals for granted. 

• Like 1

When a player scores that many he is worth the gamble. He's done it at Northampton, at Posh, now at Brentford... all different levels.

30+ goals is incredible at any level. Only four players, including Toney, have scored that many goals in the second tier in the last 30 years.

Having scored that many though he'd cost far too much, probably more than what Watkins cost Villa. I'd be intrigued to see how Brentford get on in the play offs first.

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

When a player scores that many he is worth the gamble. He's done it at Northampton, at Posh, now at Brentford... all different levels.

30+ goals is incredible at any level. Only four players, including Toney, have scored that many goals in the second tier in the last 30 years.

Having scored that many though he'd cost far too much, probably more than what Watkins cost Villa. I'd be intrigued to see how Brentford get on in the play offs first.

Be hugely interesting to see how much they rate his value. Imagine if they win promotion that's an extra £10mill added to the value at least. 

18 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....and if they lose, their might be a desperate player looking to leave their club!!!

Depends, if he backs himself to try another year if no real offers come forward. 

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

They won't sell him if they get promoted surely? They'd be insane to.

Depends on money doesn't it? 

They won't sell him if they get promoted surely? They'd be insane to.

....they keep on having bites at this cherry but someway it doesn't seem to taste so good!!!

Considering what has gone before, he may not see any positivity should they not come up.

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Depends, if he backs himself to try another year if no real offers come forward. 

Depends on money doesn't it? 

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....they keep on having bites at this cherry but someway it doesn't seem to taste so good!!!

Considering what has gone before, he may not see any positivity should they not come up.

Doesn't seem worth the risk for 25/30m, I'd have thought they'd keep him and give it a go, he'll probably get 12-15 in the EPL and they can sell for the same money at the end of the season, even if they get relegated.

I have a feeling they'll bottle the play offs anyway, in which case he'll definitely leave anyway.

Doesn't seem worth the risk for 25/30m, I'd have thought they'd keep him and give it a go, he'll probably get 12-15 in the EPL and they can sell for the same money at the end of the season, even if they get relegated.

I have a feeling they'll bottle the play offs anyway, in which case he'll definitely leave anyway.

....that is what I meant in my previous post!!!

The subsequent departures of Watkins and Benrahma  are prove that there is a pathway to the Premier League.

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Be hugely interesting to see how much they rate his value. Imagine if they win promotion that's an extra £10mill added to the value at least. 

Sounds stupid, because I'd say I'd bid for him, but if they come up I think I'd rather see how he gets on first. Plus if they did come up his value would be £40m+ surely.

10 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

I disagree with this. I think this season has shown us that Vardys time at the top is coming to an end. I think next year will be the first time that he actually struggles to make the 11. Iheanacho has been known to have drastic switches in form and who knows what player we will see after pre-season. 

I think we need to prioritize signing a talisman it could be Toney, Edouard or Abraham but whoever it is... we need to build around them. 

You can never take goals for granted. 

Whilst I definitely understand this point of view, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. Vardy to me has been showing brilliant all-round play consistently, just missing his finishing, which I think may absolutely return - every player goes in and out of form. Whilst you're right about Iheanacho, signing a third striker will inevitably devalue one of our striking assets severely, as there's little chance that all three will get solid gametime. If we're lucky, it's Vardy, and Iheanacho + new guy are integral to our team. If not, we severely depreciate one of our other two strikers, including the new signing.

I wouldn't be remiss to signing another striker if they can also play well on the wing, like Daka for example. But very few clubs out there have three starting quality strikers.