Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ivan Toney

9 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Whilst I definitely understand this point of view, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. Vardy to me has been showing brilliant all-round play consistently, just missing his finishing, which I think may absolutely return - every player goes in and out of form. Whilst you're right about Iheanacho, signing a third striker will inevitably devalue one of our striking assets severely, as there's little chance that all three will get solid gametime. If we're lucky, it's Vardy, and Iheanacho + new guy are integral to our team. If not, we severely depreciate one of our other two strikers, including the new signing.

I wouldn't be remiss to signing another striker if they can also play well on the wing, like Daka for example. But very few clubs out there have three starting quality strikers.

Yes but our strikers have to play 90 minutes and Rodgers has no options to change up at 60 . We desperately need striking options on the bench. Top clubs need three or four efficient strikers.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Yes but our strikers have to play 90 minutes and Rodgers has no options to change up at 60 . We desperately need striking options on the bench. Top clubs need three or four efficient strikers.

Show me how many top clubs have three let alone four "efficient" strikers, because it's certainly not all of them, or even a majority of them. Top clubs don't "need" three let alone four efficient strikers at all.

Two:

Spurs: Kane, Vinicius

Man City: Aguero, Jesus

Man Utd: Cavani, Martial

Liverpool: Firmino, Origi

Real Madrid: Benzema, Mariano*

Barcelona: Griezmann, Braithwaite

Atletico: Suarez, A. Correa

Bayern: Lewandowski, Choupo-Moting

Three:

Juventus: Ronaldo, Morata, Higuain*

Inter: Lukaku, Martinez, Sanchez**

***Arsenal: Aubameyang, Lacazette, Nketiah*

***Chelsea: Werner**, Giroud, Abraham*

*Hardly classified as "efficient"

**Not exactly a striker

*** Expecting a departure or two in this area as well because they can't please all their strikers

I could continue but I've grown bored, I expect the majority of the rest of Europe's big clubs will distribute themselves along these lines. 

• Like 1

We have two strikers , one who will be 35 next season , one who will be playing for Nigeria in the African cup. We absolutely need another striker and that takes into account Barnes's return . It will give us bench options and the chance to rotate.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Show me how many top clubs have three let alone four "efficient" strikers, because it's certainly not all of them, or even a majority of them. Top clubs don't "need" three let alone four efficient strikers at all.

Two:

Three:

**Not exactly a striker

*** Expecting a departure or two in this area as well because they can't please all their strikers

I could continue but I've grown bored, I expect the majority of the rest of Europe's big clubs will distribute themselves along these lines. 

They all play with 1 up top so have no requirement for a 3rd striker

Atletico Madrid who regularly play 442 do actually use 3 out and out strikers - Suarez, Correa, Dembele, and often use Felix as a striker also

We currently play with and may continue to use a system that uses 2 up top, in which case we need a 3rd option to play upfront

Arguably even if we revert back to 1 up top we still need a 3rd striker with Vardy turning 35 and Nacho disappearing for 6 weeks in January

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

They all play with 1 up top so have no requirement for a 3rd striker

Atletico Madrid who regularly play 442 do actually use 3 out and out strikers - Suarez, Correa, Dembele, and often use Felix as a striker also

We currently play with and may continue to use a system that uses 2 up top, in which case we need a 3rd option to play upfront

Arguably even if we revert back to 1 up top we still need a 3rd striker with Vardy turning 35 and Nacho disappearing for 6 weeks in January

Felix is a second striker, you couldn't play him alone up top. Dembele is a loan, and hasn't played much at all due to injury, they aren't going to sign him.

I understand the argument for another striker even if I'm not fully convinced by it, I was more responding to the statement that all top clubs need "three or four" strikers. For what it's worth, I wouldn't be surprised at all by Rodgers moving back largely to a one striker formation, we'll see how things go though. Ultimately it's out of our hands, and I'll probably go along with whatever decision the club makes.

There is of course a logical argument for any formation in attack. Time and time again though you get the comment "Vardy is isolated" when we struggle to score. I think Rodgers is most unlikely to go back to that situation in the future.

Guest Bert Fill
2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Vardy deserves us buying a 3rd striker to take some of the weight off him, after all he's given for the club. He's worth every penny playing half the games he already does.

Absolutely. We can’t possibly be planning to go into next season with a 35 year old who’s stopped scoring goals as our main striker, but he’d still scare the bejeesus out of most defences next season coming off the bench and more than do a job covering for injuries etc...

8 minutes ago, Bert Fill said:

Absolutely. We can’t possibly be planning to go into next season with a 35 year old who’s stopped scoring goals as our main striker, but he’d still scare the bejeesus out of most defences next season coming off the bench and more than do a job covering for injuries etc...

This is the first year we've seen him properly tail off. So would be incredibly unwise of us to not make a striker a high target. 

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Two:

Three:

**Not exactly a striker

Most of those teams mentioned primarily play 1 up top. Also, most of those teams above also have a wide forward player who can play as wide man/attacking midfielder and also a striker, players such as Son, Muller, Felix, Rashford, etc. It’s clear that our attacking options are extremely thin.

• Like 3

Few teams have a "target man" these days . Maybe even the word striker is not applicable. You get advanced forwards who both score and assist each other in scoring. Jota, Mane, Firmino and Salah are typical examples of this.

13 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Whilst I definitely understand this point of view, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. Vardy to me has been showing brilliant all-round play consistently, just missing his finishing, which I think may absolutely return - every player goes in and out of form. Whilst you're right about Iheanacho, signing a third striker will inevitably devalue one of our striking assets severely, as there's little chance that all three will get solid gametime. If we're lucky, it's Vardy, and Iheanacho + new guy are integral to our team. If not, we severely depreciate one of our other two strikers, including the new signing.

I wouldn't be remiss to signing another striker if they can also play well on the wing, like Daka for example. But very few clubs out there have three starting quality strikers.

It's a bit of a conundrum and one we've faced before and for the first time in a while we have possibly regretted not getting another option in last summer. Thankfully Iheanacho feels like a new signing from February onwards but we would be very silly not to get another striker and a winger this summer.

Whether they are established like Edouard or someone unproven to learn the ropes and come in when needed, is open for debate.

• Like 1

Guest Bert Fill
3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's a bit of a conundrum and one we've faced before and for the first time in a while we have possibly regretted not getting another option in last summer. Thankfully Iheanacho feels like a new signing from February onwards but we would be very silly not to get another striker and a winger this summer.

Whether they are established like Edouard or someone unproven to learn the ropes and come in when needed, is open for debate.

Maybe we’ll go all ultra-modern and not have any out and out strikers at all. Barnes mainly on one side, a Barnes-alike mainly on the other side, and an in-form Maddison in between them, all buzzing about in a fluid way, interweaving and swapping about... might be interesting?

4 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Two:

Three:

**Not exactly a striker

Our attacking options are slim. Even some of those sides there don't have more than 1 "effecent" striker (for example Spurs - once Kane is out they really lack an "efficient" striker).

I am pleased we now play 2 up top and I hope Rodgers sticks with that. I've never liked 1 up front.

The only time I recall a side in this Country having multiple "efficient" striking options is when Manchester United could choose from Yorke/Cole/Sheringham/Solskjaer. But again, they played 2 up front.

33 minutes ago, Bert Fill said:

Maybe we’ll go all ultra-modern and not have any out and out strikers at all. Barnes mainly on one side, a Barnes-alike mainly on the other side, and an in-form Maddison in between them, all buzzing about in a fluid way, interweaving and swapping about... might be interesting?

Naaah, the majority of teams that do this don't score anywhere near enough goals and then rely on an exceptional defence. We have a good defence but it's often over hyped just how good it is as we still concede a fair amount of goals.

Edouard , Vardy, Iheanacho and Barnes to me would be our principal goal threat. No matter what combination Rodgers uses they will be there to give him various options. In fact their individual strengths should compliment each other very well. Iheanacho should seriously work on his heading skills and then we will be missing very little.

Guest Bert Fill
1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Naaah, the majority of teams that do this don't score anywhere near enough goals and then rely on an exceptional defence. We have a good defence but it's often over hyped just how good it is as we still concede a fair amount of goals.

I agree that for this to work at least one of your three not-really-strikers probably needs to be Messi in his prime...

I don’t really think we will (or should) go down this route.

7 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Vardy deserves us buying a 3rd striker to take some of the weight off him, after all he's given for the club. He's worth every penny playing half the games he already does.

vardy right now reminds me a bit of that old yellow pages commercial where the home owners look on with concern at that aging and struggling gardener.. so they ‘ make a phone call’ call him into the house to explain they think it’s all getting a bit too much for him, and instead of binning him off,  present him with  a nice and shiney ride on Lawn mower.

* it was the catalyst of some seedy comedy show spin off scenes..

Found it:

Edited by MPH
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Two:

Three:

**Not exactly a striker

The number of strikers we need isn't determined solely by those selected in our match formation but must also take account of the number of matches we expect to play, rotation, injuries, tactical substitutions etc. So we need a minimum of 3.

12 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Few teams have a "target man" these days . Maybe even the word striker is not applicable. You get advanced forwards who both score and assist each other in scoring. Jota, Mane, Firmino and Salah are typical examples of this.

I wouldn't be opposed to us signing one or two of these, at all. This is precisely what we need, I'd argue. A Salah-esque option on the right. 

I think we will see genuine striker rotation next season. I honestly don't think Brendan wants to play with 2 strikers, but Iheanacho has absolutely forced his hand. He is not capable of playing as a solo striker, but he also can't be left out because he is in incredible goal scoring form. 

I expect us to sign 1 striker this summer and we will see him heavily rotated with Vardy as a solo no.9, with Iheanacho giving us the ability to switch it tactically in games to add a second striker when/if needed. 

I still think there is a little more from Vardy and he has been nursing that groin injury most the season. A long summer rest could do him the world of good and I think he will still give us 15/20 goals next season before we see the real drop off start to happen