Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ivan Toney

3 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Reckon he’ll struggle in the PL, but good luck to the boy. 

He'll probably struggle because Brentford are likely to struggle. It's likely he'll stay now, but had Brentford not gone up and he'd have been sold to a mid table team, it would have been interesting to see his impact.

23 minutes ago, murphy said:

Brentford have been promoted?  I've not been following.

Glad to see them coming up.  An unfashionable team that has been Knocking on the door for a while by finding hidden gems.  Sounds familiar.  

Good luck to them.

Won the final 2-0. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pazzerfox said:

I have watached Brentford and Toni for the last few matches.  He undeniably knows where the net is but he doesn't seem technically good enough for us.  Good luck to him and Brentford though, great effort.

...I  have posted before just watching him on YouTube!!!

What comes across is that he looks messy, scrambled goals, not clean strikes.

One overriding thing is his ability to be in the tight place at the right time, very hard to coach that, and I can't see him looking aesthetically better, but the goals will still come. 

Edited by sacreblueits442

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I  have posted before just watching him on YouTube!!!

What comes across is that he looks messy, scrambled goals, not clean strikes.

One overriding thing is his ability to be in the tight place at the right time, very hard to coach that, and I can't see him looking aesthetically better, but the goals will still come. 

To be honest I thought exactly the same about Ollie Watkins and he’s massively stepped up 

8 hours ago, pazzerfox said:

I have watached Brentford and Toni for the last few matches.  He undeniably knows where the net is but he doesn't seem technically good enough for us.  Good luck to him and Brentford though, great effort.

I’ve watch him a few times now. Generally looked decent, can finish well in and around the box. First touch is like a baby elephant at times though. Reminds me a bit of Nacho. 

2 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

To be honest I thought exactly the same about Ollie Watkins and he’s massively stepped up 

Watkins moves like a Ferrari, Toney more like a Morris Marina but in the end its who sticks it in the net more often. 15 goals in 38 matches is par for a striker in the PL . If Toney gets that many, Brentford should stay up. 

10 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Watkins moves like a Ferrari, Toney more like a Morris Marina but in the end its who sticks it in the net more often. 15 goals in 38 matches is par for a striker in the PL . If Toney gets that many, Brentford should stay up. 

I’d say par is anything in double figures.

15 goals and you’ve got a very good striker.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

15 goals in 38 matches is par for a striker in the PL

Over the last five seasons the number of strikers to reach 15 goals is 9, 5, 4, 7 and 4 so I think that may need revising downwards

46 minutes ago, Guest said:

Over the last five seasons the number of strikers to reach 15 goals is 9, 5, 4, 7 and 4 so I think that may need revising downwards

Those statistics suggest defences are getting better or more likely strikers are getting worse. Both Vardy and Iheanacho bettered the one every 220 minutes of course. When you think Fowler, Owen, Nistelroy , Shearer and co would have looked on that as a pretty average season.

4 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Those statistics suggest defences are getting better or more likely strikers are getting worse. Both Vardy and Iheanacho bettered the one every 220 minutes of course. When you think Fowler, Owen, Nistelroy , Shearer and co would have looked on that as a pretty average season.

Teams play differently don't they, 20-30 years ago the gameplan was to get the ball to the striker and he did the goalscoring. Nowadays the striker is much more so the focal point of the attack with other attackers pivoting round them, so the goals are spread out. Back in the early days of the Prem Kane would probably have scored a disgusting amount of goals but wouldn't have got so many assists.

Edited by Bryn

2 minutes ago, Bryn said:

Teams play differently don't they, 20-30 years ago the gameplan was to get the ball to the striker and he did the goalscoring. Nowadays the striker is much more so the focal point of the attack with other attackers pivoting round them, so the girls are spread out. Back in the early days of the Prem Kane would probably have scored a disgusting amount of goals but wouldn't have got so many assists.

That is true to an extent, though Kane, Salah, Aguero and Vardy have all consistently beaten par so it can be done.One of the reasons Arsenal have underperformed is Auba hasn't earned his enormous salary this season.

Brentford, like Norwich, play a pretty expansive style that isn't going to work for a small club trying to scrabble 38 points and stay up.  Norwich refused to adapt last time around - it'll be interesting to see what the two of them do next season.

Edited by Deeg67

38 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Brentford, like Norwich, play a pretty expansive style that isn't going to work for a small club trying to scrabble 38 points and stay up.  Norwich refused to adapt last time around - it'll be interesting to see what the of them do next season.

They were like that last season but they seem to have added a slightly more steely underbelly this year.  I think they’ve got all the tools and set up to do well in the prem. very very very well run club