Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ivan Toney

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

They were like that last season but they seem to have added a slightly more steely underbelly this year.  I think they’ve got all the tools and set up to do well in the prem. very very very well run club 

Assuming you mean Brentford I agree, they are a well-run club who might stick around.  Not Chelsea but not minuscule, either.  The problem is going to be surviving that first season and getting some cash flow going.  That and hanging onto Frank, who’s going to be a person of interest for bigger clubs if Brentford survive.  But their recruitment is excellent and that goes a long way.

Still - Norwich won the league pretty easily but if you had to bet on one club to stay up, who would it be?  For me it would certainly be Watford.  It’s a fine line - you don’t want to see every promoted club playing Dyche-ball, parking the bus and trying for 38 0-0 draws.  But you have to make some concessions to reality.

9 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Assuming you mean Brentford I agree, they are a well-run club who might stick around.  Not Chelsea but not minuscule, either.  The problem is going to be surviving that first season and getting some cash flow going.  That and hanging onto Frank, who’s going to be a person of interest for bigger clubs if Brentford survive.  But their recruitment is excellent and that goes a long way.

Still - Norwich won the league pretty easily but if you had to bet on one club to stay up, who would it be?  For me it would certainly be Watford.  It’s a fine line - you don’t want to see every promoted club playing Dyche-ball, parking the bus and trying for 38 0-0 draws.  But you have to make some concessions to reality.

Sorry yeah meant Brentford, who I think will stay up with a bit in hand 

I have been very impressed with Toney when I have seen him. A good goal scorer, works for the team and adds a bit of height to bring a bit more for set-pieces and when we are chasing a game.

I think that Brentford will be in for a bit of a lesson when they play against better quality and organised defences and their own will be very exposed at times, as they have seen when we have played against them.

That said, I like their style and they could get to twenty points in a reasonably quick time before they start to get weary and the concentration a bit thin.

Toney would be a good buy but would be relatively expensive and I don't think he will look for a move just yet. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Brentford, like Norwich, play a pretty expansive style that isn't going to work for a small club trying to scrabble 38 points and stay up.  Norwich refused to adapt last time around - it'll be interesting to see what the two of them do next season.

Unfortunately, I see nothing but relegation for Brentford this year. I don’t even think they’ll make a fight of it.. they’ll use the majority of this coming seasons tv money and parachute payments to secure their future/ possible ground expansion/ pay off debts.

1 hour ago, MPH said:

Unfortunately, I see nothing but relegation for Brentford this year. I don’t even think they’ll make a fight of it.. they’ll use the majority of this coming seasons tv money and parachute payments to secure their future/ possible ground expansion/ pay off debts.

I'm not so sure about that !

They are a very progressive club with a very good owner.  If they add a CB & a DM I think they good surprise a few teams.

4 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I'm not so sure about that !

They are a very progressive club with a very good owner.  If they add a CB & a DM I think they good surprise a few teams.

they scraped into the prem via the playoffs. It’s not like they set the championship alight... sure any promoted team can do well, but I’d fancy Norwich to do well of all the promoted teams.

22 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Even though they played a weaker team against our weakned side they gave us a game in the first half and I remember thinking if they has the likes of Toney playing it would have been a tighter game. Don't strike me as a club to make head scratching signings either based from last summer. Think they'll stay up quite comfortable to be fair.

Burnley

Brighton (unfortunately)

Norwhich would be my three

14 minutes ago, MPH said:

they scraped into the prem via the playoffs. It’s not like they set the championship alight... sure any promoted team can do well, but I’d fancy Norwich to do well of all the promoted teams.

And that is why they play the games !! I just want to see the promoted teams go for it 

Norwich is going to have to change their approach if they want to survive this time.  I hope they do but I’m skeptical.

Watford is a bigger club, have some experience at this, and will likely be the most pragmatic of the three.  I’d bet on them to survive, though I’d love it if the other two clubs did.

Would love to see us sign him

However with all the other positions we need players for I cannot see us spending the £30-40m it would take to get him this summer

Might be one to look at next year if they get relegated (although I imagine the price wouldn’t change much anyway)

10 hours ago, MPH said:

I can see Brentford going down as well. They like to play football and I've watched them a few times this year. They aren't as cohesive as Leeds though and play pretty loose and at times error strewn football, a bit like Fulham and West Brom.

Brentford have got a real opportunity to establish themselves in the PL now - they've got as good a base to work from as any of the other recently promoted teams, and if players like Mbuemo and Toney perform in the PL, they will likely rake in huge amounts of cash and they can then reinvest that in new players. Important for them to stay up this season if they can, and to keep their recruitment/scouting network together. They've unearthed some real gems over the past few seasons.

17 hours ago, MPH said:

Brentford won’t be an easy place to go, especially if they have fans behind them.

I also think you overate some if the fodder  that remains in the Premier League and will be vulnerable should they get off to a bad start.

The likes of Newcastle, Palace, Burnley (does Dyche jump this summer?), Wolves (difficult appointment) and Brighton could conceivably find themselves below Brentford - in a similar way that Sheffield United excelled in the first season back in the top flight.

46 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Brentford won’t be an easy place to go, especially if they have fans behind them.

I also think you overate some if the fodder  that remains in the Premier League and will be vulnerable should they get off to a bad start.

The likes of Newcastle, Palace, Burnley (does Dyche jump this summer?), Wolves (difficult appointment) and Brighton could conceivably find themselves below Brentford - in a similar way that Sheffield United excelled in the first season back in the top flight.

I like Toney but he’s no Alain-maxim or Wilfred Zahah... whilst  Brentford have been  pleasing to the eye, I don’t see what they have that would give anyone the confidence that they could outperform the teams you’ve mentioned..