Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OhYesNdidi

Coutinho

7 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....personally I would just be glad playing in the position and having my own number!!!

The number is far too iconic and any player coming in our coming through their ranks would understand the significance of the retirement of the jersey. Ndidi when he came in  wanted to be Ndidi, and was not given the  #14 of Kante and he insists he wants to be the best of himself as attempting to be forever compared to his illustrious predecessor.

Retire the jersey, it is more than just playing football!

But often when a shirt is retired it's a number like a 23 or 42.... not significant positionally, but significant for its memories.

What you're asking Barcelona to do is essentially admit they will never, ever (in the next 500 years lets say) create a player as good as or... better... than Messi. The number 10 is a positional number that is probably one of the only ones (apart from 9) that still holds any significance in football. 

You're asking the best known football club in the world, famous for producing talent after talent to say 'nope, we'll never do that again'

You're asking them to lose all faith in their famed La Masia academy.

It might sound silly, but they've let him go and as he has chosen to join another top side, they ultimately have to carry on as normal to save us much face as possible. 

If he had retired with them, I think it MAY have been an option.

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, AjcW said:

But often when a shirt is retired it's a number like a 23 or 42.... not significant positionally, but significant for its memories.

What you're asking Barcelona to do is essentially admit they will never, ever (in the next 500 years lets say) create a player as good as or... better... than Messi. The number 10 is a positional number that is probably one of the only ones (apart from 9) that still holds any significance in football. 

You're asking the best known football club in the world, famous for producing talent after talent to say 'nope, we'll never do that again'

You're asking them to lose all faith in their famed La Masia academy.

It might sound silly, but they've let him go and as he has chosen to join another top side, they ultimately have to carry on as normal to save us much face as possible. 

If he had retired with them, I think it MAY have been an option.

....this may sound strange after reading your reply, but it is not about a great talent which graced the game and the club!!!

it is about the player and what he means to the club.

He could have been a water carrier who has been in the team for 25 + years, definitely not about trailblazing talent, bt the relation of the man and the club.

I think your criteria is different than mine and therefore we are not going see this the same.

Anyway back to the topic, picking up Coutinho would be a gamble with our finance and the way we have previously financed our team development.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I think CSL rules mean that they can't offer the wages that they could before?

The days of the CSL splashing the cash are gone. 

Report made in February of this year:

Chinese Super League champions Jiangsu FC - who have the same owners as Inter Milan - have "ceased operations", the club said on Sunday. Owners Suning said they were closing down the club to focus on their core retail business in the country. Jiangsu won their first league title in November 2020

8 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I know retiring numbers in "soccer" generally doesn't happen (with rare exceptions) but if you ever were going to retire a #10, this would be the time.  How wrong will it feel to see anyone besides Messi wearing that jersey for Barca? 

They didn’t do it with Ronaldinho - so they’re not doing it with Messi.

Barca have had a whole host of great 10s. Not just Messi.

Kubula

Evaristo

Maradona

Stoichkov

Romario

Rivaldo

Ronaldinho

Messi is the greatest of this generation. You can guarantee if they were to sign an Mbappe for example. He’d want 10.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sly said:

Kubula

Evaristo

Maradona

Stoichkov

Romario

Rivaldo

Ronaldinho

Messi is the greatest of this generation. You can guarantee if they were to sign an Mbappe for example. He’d want 10.

It’s a generational thing but for me Maradona > Messi. He was more than a player. He was the tide that lifted all the boats in his team(s). 

Edited by SydenhamFox
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I know retiring numbers in "soccer" generally doesn't happen (with rare exceptions) but if you ever were going to retire a #10, this would be the time.  How wrong will it feel to see anyone besides Messi wearing that jersey for Barca? 

I’m sure I heard that la Liga rules state that players must be numbered from 1-25, retiring the no. 10 would mean that they could only register 24 players. Suppose it would save on their wages mind. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sly said:

Kubula

Evaristo

Maradona

Stoichkov

Romario

Rivaldo

Ronaldinho

And that is the most important thing. He's gone and they need to move on. The chance to wear the number 10 shirt for Barcelona could convince someone to sign in the future like Mbappe who will win them their next title or champions league. They can't afford to dwell on the past now they have far too many problems to solve and need to win games. Its not New York Cosmos who can retire number 10 for Pele, it's Barcelona. At one time it seemed there would never be anyone close to Maradona ever again then Rivaldo, Ronaldinho and Brazilian Ronaldo came along, then Messi. They have to believe they will find someone as good or better at some point otherwise what's the point. 

Edited by desertfox2
R
  • Like 1

Well if Birmingham can retire Jude Bellingham's shirt number, then Barcelona can do it for Messi :giggle:

In all seriousness, it is true that La Liga does not allow for the permanent retiring of numbers. Think the most a club can do it is for 2 years, such as when Barca "retired" Luis Enrique's shirt number.

2 hours ago, Incognito said:

Well if Birmingham can retire Jude Bellingham's shirt number, then Barcelona can do it for Messi :giggle:

In all seriousness, it is true that La Liga does not allow for the permanent retiring of numbers. Think the most a club can do it is for 2 years, such as when Barca "retired" Luis Enrique's shirt number.

His younger brother is playing for the senior team as well now apparently. Hopefully there aren't many more brothers, otherwise they are going to run out of numbers :giggle:

• Haha 1