Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OhYesNdidi

Coutinho

Having just read the article in The Guardian about what dire straights Barcelona are in I genuinely think we could be a destination for him. Beyond the money there is a player there, who no doubt wants to play and the known quantity of working with BR must be a pull. Personal relationships underpin so much in business relationships. And, also, who the **** wouldn’t want to swap the city of Barcelona for Leicester. What kind of wife would say ‘no’ to that prospect?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, los dedos said:

Dunno mate, people keep writing stuff n that 

🤔 sounds about right. I have a theory that seeing hot topics which turn into meaningless ones will likely give me a heart attack when I'm older, even just by a few weeks/months.

I don't think the talent can be in question. The things to question are:

1. Can we afford him? Do we have the resources to 'spring' him from his contract at Barça (likely to be a relatively negligible fee considering their own financial problems) AND pay his wages (can Barça contribute and/or will Coutinho take a wage cut)?

2. Will Coutinho have the motivation? Whichever way we look at it, Leicester City is a step down from Barça, Bayern, Liverpool and Inter, for example.

Working with Rodgers may be attractive to him, as could playing in the Premier League again. Europa League football may count against us, as might the potential wage structure he will have to fit into (providing Barça can't contribute themselves).

He's also won titles and cups and the Champions League already at domestic level, and the Copa America for Brazil so unless we're challenging for the Premier League, is there much in terms of glory that we can offer him that will motivate him? Being a serial winner should be enough, perhaps. Also, there's a World Cup next winter in a hot country but he's not in Brazil's plans currently. So the chance to get regular football under a manager who knows him could be the start of his road to becoming a World Cup winner in 2022 (at least that's how I'd be selling it to him).

If the motivation isn't there, however, then it's best he goes and plays in China, the Qatari league or MLS.

Edited by ALC Fox
  • Like 1

This is why I don't want us to help Barcelona.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/20/barcelona-in-desperate-push-to-offload-players-to-keep-lionel-messi

COVID is their ITV Digital except before that they'd been extremely reckless without consequence. Now they should suffer from the financial nightmare they created for themselves. **** em.

14 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

1. Can we afford him? Do we have the resources to 'spring' him from his contract at Barça (likely to be a relatively negligible fee considering their own financial problems) AND pay his wages (can Barça contribute and/or will Coutinho take a wage cut)?

2. Will Coutinho have the motivation? Whichever way we look at it, Leicester City is a step down from Barça, Bayern, Liverpool and Inter, for example.

Working with Rodgers may be attractive to him, as could playing in the Premier League again. Europa League football may count against us, as might the potential wage structure he will have to fit into (providing Barça can't contribute themselves).

He's also won titles and cups and the Champions League already at domestic level, and the Copa America for Brazil so unless we're challenging for the Premier League, is there much in terms of glory that we can offer him that will motivate him? Being a serial winner should be enough, perhaps. Also, there's a World Cup next winter in a hot country but he's not in Brazil's plans currently. So the chance to get regular football under a manager who knows him could be the start of his road to becoming a World Cup winner in 2022 (at least that's how I'd be selling it to him).

If the motivation isn't there, however, then it's best he goes and plays in China, the Qatari league or MLS.

If there is no motivation to play he won't come.

He could easily sit on his £383k a week contract living in Barcelona for a few more years but he's just turned 29 and I'm sure he doesn't want to retire from football just yet by sitting on his hands at a club that won't play him.

If elite level clubs don't want him and he wants to play then he'll have to come somewhere like hear. Barcelona will have to see the offers they get and make the best out of it. Worst case scenario for them is he doesn't leave. He'll probably go somewhere in the last few days of the window, my guess is it would be an elite club who don't land their preferred signing or have a key player injured. We'll be an option if that doesn't happen.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/20/barcelona-in-desperate-push-to-offload-players-to-keep-lionel-messi

COVID is their ITV Digital except before that they'd been extremely reckless without consequence. Now they should suffer from the financial nightmare they created for themselves. **** em.

That's the wrong mindset, who care about them.

The simple mindset is, is he fit and can he stay fit, does he want to come, can we afford him, does he improve us.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

He’s also 29 so has effectively 2 more decent contracts in his career, I hate the term and to actually think of our club like this but he could use his time here as a stepping stone for one last hurrah at a “Big Club” but like you said will he actually have the motivation to do that or is he the type of player to just live on past glories 

4 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

If we can take advantage and it helps them out as a by-product then who cares?

I'm only interested in what helps us.

However I don't think the market has reacted yet to two of the biggest purchasers in world football now out the game and the knock on effect. Financially it's a good time to sell players if you get top offers from them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

The footballing reputation scale is the following IMO. 

Level 1 - Messi, Ronaldo possibly Neymar. 

Level 2 - Salah, Suarez, Coutinho, Griezmann etc... 

Level 3 - Vardy, Sterling, Kane etc... 

Level 4 - most of our squad (players like Tielemans are trying to break into level 3)

Level 5 - Amartay types. 

If you are 2 levels below the player, you have no right to question them and should be in awe of their presence injured or not. 

What you're talking about might happen if a level 3 or 4 player came in on mega bucks and had a nightmare.

Coutinho though would be a different level to what we've seen before and I'd imagine the players would be in awe whether he's injured or not. 

They should be in awe of Coutinho? A player who's not had a good season for God knows how long? Our players aren't 'awed' by names or reputations, which is why they're so successful on the pitch. 

I saw people saying that signing him would 'increase our global standing' - I'd suggest most people would wonder why were spending so much on a potentially spent force - in fact, I'd say it's very much the mentality of a small club to think you can build your standing in the footballing world by begging for scraps from the table of the 'big clubs'. As far as I can see, there are no 'big clubs' that want anything to do with him. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

They should be in awe of Coutinho? A player who's not had a good season for God knows how long? Our players aren't 'awed' by names or reputations, which is why they're so successful on the pitch.

There's a difference when they're on your team. You could see they were in awe of Cambiasso when he played.