Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OhYesNdidi

Coutinho

3 minutes ago, Collymore said:

There's a difference when they're on your team. You could see they were in awe of Cambiasso when he played. 

lol

Aye, very smilar crop of players that came up from the championship to the lads that are internernationals and been playing for one of the top teams in the country.

2 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

They should be in awe of Coutinho? A player who's not had a good season for God knows how long? Our players aren't 'awed' by names or reputations, which is why they're so successful on the pitch. 

I saw people saying that signing him would 'increase our global standing' - I'd suggest most people would wonder why were spending so much on a potentially spent force - in fact, I'd say it's very much the mentality of a small club to think you can build your standing in the footballing world by begging for scraps from the table of the 'big clubs'. As far as I can see, there are no 'big clubs' that want anything to do with him. 

Agreed that I hope our lads wouldn’t be in awe of a player like him, but I’m sure they’d admire what he has achieved, he has reached the peak of club football. He has won leagues all over Europe and the Champions League. 

However, it’s potentially not very much money for the level of player we are talking here, Ghezzal and Benkovic will have cost us more as previously mentioned. Two or three seasons ago he was rightly being talked about in the top bracket of players in world football (excluding Ronaldo and Messi since they basically aren’t human).

It’s only even semi feasible because of the mess Barca are in and his history with our manager, and even so I don’t personally see it happening. It would be a huge statement if we managed to get him though, no doubt, in terms of stature of player he would be our biggest ever signing. He is 29, at least a couple of good seasons in him still, and it would likely be a loan regardless of where he goes anyway. 

No doubt it’s a risk, and unlikely to happen, but he is box office and football is an entertainment business. 

14 hours ago, vanity said:

Precisely. The problem I saw when Evans went out was there was confusion between Soyuncu and Fofana. Evans commanded respect, but neither Soyuncu or Fofana can command such respect, either from teammates or, more importantly I think, between one another. Consequently, we have nobody in the middle directing traffic. Soyuncu is 25, Fofana 20. There is no way Soy is taking direction from Fofana. Soyuncu was on the PFL Team of the Season or whatever it was called. He was rumored to be of interest to some elite sides. Then he got hurt, came back, and Fofana was the hot thing, with Soyuncu a bit on the outside looking in. I cannot speak to Sotuncu's personality, but he doesn't seem the sort to take kindly to some kid ordering him around out there. It did seem to be getting a bit sorted before Fofana got hurt against Spurs, they seemed to be figuring things out a bit, but right now, the clutch move would be to get a vocal, veteran CB to rotate with Evans, someone who could command a bit of respect from both of them. Maybe their partnership just needs more time, if we do the back 4 again, they will have an opportunity to develop that. Wouldn't mind seeing Evans backing up/rotating in that situation.

415-CB547-449-D-4-BFD-9-A3-E-7915690-E84

And no, this is not my second account, this guy speaks too well for that.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, FoxesWalk said:

Just saw this - a reminder of how good he is. 

He’d be the most skilful player ever to play for us IMO. Better than Mahrez at his peak. He is still a very good footballer even if he has had a troubled period since leaving England. If the financial math somehow works out (I personally doubt that we will pay what would be needed), it would be box office. Tbh, even talking about this, it’s just amazing to me that this is even in the realms of possibility for the same Leicester City I grew up watching, love it. 

Had forgotten just how good this guy is. I know its only chatter and there have not really been any significant links to him, but just the fact that we are being talked about as a potential destination for him shows just how far we have come since those oh so dark days of only a decade ago.

Lots of talk about damage to moral if we were to break the wage structure for him, but other players would surely accept that if we are going to push on, at some point somebody will come in and be a new top earner. Would they really be that bothered if it meant that they got another medal around their necks come the end of the season? I am sure the likes of Vardy, Nacho, Daka etc would be salivating at the thought of all the chances he would create for them.

As for motivation for him to actually come here, the chance to team up again with BR, at a club challenging the established order of things at the top end of the table, with realistic trophy ambitions and the opportunity to shine in the 18 months before the next world cup might just be enough. If he would rather take the easy option, stay on Barca's bench and collect his fat paycheck ala Bale at Madrid, then we don't want him anyway. If he did come though, we would know it was for the right reasons

• Like 1

For once this season should not be about selling but strengthening. With ffp relaxed and fees low on the continent together with us poaching the younger more skilful players to develop their game before moving on then we couldn't possibly ask for more. 

Nb. Choudhury, Mendy, Perez sell etc 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, indierich06 said:

He's reportedly on somewhere between £350-£400k a week. Even with a paycut, he will likely instantly become our club's highest earner. If you're a key member of the first team and someone comes in on more money than you, who is frequently injured and is out of form, what is that going to do to the morale of the squad? 

If it was me, I'd be thinking 'This bloke's here on big money based on the strength of his name and reputation, he's been injured, he hasn't hit top form since he was at Liverpool, meanwhile we're the ones who have gotten this club where it is over the last few seasons - now he's earning more than all of us?'

Or they could think, this guy has worked his nads off to rich the top of his game, has played for the biggest club in the world and is now playing alongside me, and maybe I could emulate his success and earn what he has earned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Manley Farrington-Brown
7 hours ago, urban fox said:

just the fact that we are being talked about as a potential destination for him shows just how far we have come

Are we though?

Anywhere except this thread I mean?

1 hour ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Are we though?

Anywhere except this thread I mean?

Yes, it has been speculated in multiple press reports, though that could be argued to be purely based on Coutinho having played for Rodgers before.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, splinterdream said:

Or they could think, this guy has worked his nads off to rich the top of his game, has played for the biggest club in the world and is now playing alongside me, and maybe I could emulate his success and earn what he has earned.

Doubt it, personally. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Yes, it has been speculated in multiple press reports, though that could be argued to be purely based on Coutinho having played for Rodgers before.

Its not Rodgers who pays the wages, the financial people have the last word. He is given a budget and has to work to it. This all looks way beyond that.

5 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Its not Rodgers who pays the wages, the financial people have the last word. He is given a budget and has to work to it. This all looks way beyond that.

Maybe so, but he manages the team and if he wants a player and believes they will be the difference those who own the purse’s will cough. Anyway, the club could probably afford most players within reason, don’t worry about the clubs finances, I’m sure if they can afford it, they will do it.

• Like 1