Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BakerLCFC

Danny Ward

Just now, StevieLynex said:

I'd be worried if our main concern is a goalkeeper. There are far more important positions that we need to address first

Agreed. But if Ward leaves and Rodgers doesn't think we have someone good enough to take his place? Sure that the club have a plan to address this. If we do sell Ward I expect a large amount of the proceeds will go back into purchasing a back up/competition. Don't expect that we'll be taking money earmarked for our attacking players.

Guest StevieLynex
2 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Agreed. But if Ward leaves and Rodgers doesn't think we have someone good enough to take his place? Sure that the club have a plan to address this. If we do sell Ward I expect a large amount of the proceeds will go back into purchasing a back up/competition. Don't expect that we'll be taking money earmarked for our attacking players.

Do we need to spend, say, £10m on a keeper who is likely to spend most of his time on the bench for the next few years?

58 minutes ago, StevieLynex said:

Do we need to spend, say, £10m on a keeper who is likely to spend most of his time on the bench for the next few years?

Hope not. All depends on Ward(leaving?) and who's(good enough?) behind him.

Edited by SO1

We signed him for £12m to be our No.2 as part of upgrading the overall squad nothing has changed other than a few good games for Wales….he’s a great pro and back up for KS than less we get a ridiculous offer he won’t be going anywhere….

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StevieLynex said:

Look at Ward though, we spent £12m on him. Good back up, we’ll likely get most if not all of his original fee back. 

If we can do the same again and recycle the money then it’s good business.

We could keep Ward but if he wants to move on (not sure if he does or not). New contract could have been pushed by us to retain his value. 

But… if you don’t have a good enough second choice keeper and your No1 gets injured, you really are up sh!t creek. That scenario could cost us years of progression as a club.

If we did sell our second choice keeper for £10m or so, it wouldn’t be so we could fund a right winger, that’s for sure. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

2 hours ago, Old Fox said:

We signed him for £12m to be our No.2 as part of upgrading the overall squad nothing has changed other than a few good games for Wales….he’s a great pro and back up for KS than less we get a ridiculous offer he won’t be going anywhere….

that all sounds very romantic but if he hands in a transfer request, then what? He’s no Mahrez, our season won’t be impacted hugely  if he leaves...  he’s somewhat replaceable but you can just see  why we fought  hard to keep Mahrez by how hard it has been to replace him… it’s really not worth the risk of keeping him if he wants to leave. I don’t want a keeper between the sticks who doesn’t  want to be here.  You lose games when keepers sulk.

Edited by MPH

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wales-danny-ward-opens-up-24369963

Looks like he definitely wants to stake his claim as a number one, we know that can’t be with Leicester. Having a good euros will push any suitors to the value we’d expect. Our issue is do we use iversen as backup - a player who I think needs to be playing regular- or get someone else in - sadly I don’t trust Jakupović. We may not even want to sell. 

10 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Look at Ward though, we spent £12m on him. Good back up, we’ll likely get most if not all of his original fee back. 

If we can do the same again and recycle the money then it’s good business.

We could keep Ward but if he wants to move on (not sure if he does or not). New contract could have been pushed by us to retain his value. 

But… if you don’t have a good enough second choice keeper and your No1 gets injured, you really are up sh!t creek. That scenario could cost us years of progression as a club.

If we did sell our second choice keeper for £10m or so, it wouldn’t be so we could fund a right winger, that’s for sure. 

No way are we going to let him go without making a profit. 

For me if we can get say a £5 million profit and we can go again with a younger keeper then rinse and repeat.

Should Kasper get an injury though we need somebody that can fill a no.2 void with ease, never mind if we wanted to actually use them for second string early comps.

Depends what our options are. I wouldn't also like to begrudge Danny a shot at holding down a starting PL place but the decision must work for all parties. Except whoever we sell him to. Sod them.

• Like 1

Wolves already looking at Jose Sa from Olympiakos, also looking at Bartlomiej Dragowski from Fiorentina - no mention of Ward (still think it was just a lazy link made up by that site)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/06/22/transfer-notebook-wolves-west-ham-keen-move-burnleys-james-tarkowski/?utm_content=football&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1624351901

Edited by moore_94

13 hours ago, StevieLynex said:

Yes IMO.

It's what the top 6 do to ensure they're competitive, find a good backup player who is happy to be a part timer for a season or three, before moving them on for similar money to what was paid. People like Origi and Giroud spring to mind. If Kasper got injured for any longer than a couple of games, we'd probably be up shit creak if we didn't have Ward, 12m (which we'll recoup all of if we sell IMO) was a good price for peace of mind for the GK position for 4 or 5 years.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

If he does go then I'm very comfortable with Iversen being the Europa League/Cup keeper

I love to hope he could do that... Just not sure. Has anybody seen enough of him to really know the level he's at right now?

8 minutes ago, Nick said:

I love to hope he could do that... Just not sure. Has anybody seen enough of him to really know the level he's at right now?

He was brilliant for Preston the 2nd half of last season, single handedly got them a lot of points

He would be better off getting a full season of Championship football under his belt first though

Edited by moore_94
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MPH said:

that all sounds very romantic but if he hands in a transfer request, then what? He’s no Mahrez, our season won’t be impacted hugely  if he leaves...  he’s somewhat replaceable but you can just see  why we fought  hard to keep Mahrez by how hard it has been to replace him… it’s really not worth the risk of keeping him if he wants to leave. I don’t want a keeper between the sticks who doesn’t  want to be here.  You lose games when keepers sulk.

Has he sulked? Seemingly not. The guy needs to look after himself. 

25 minutes ago, Nick said:

Saw him two or three times on the box for Preston and he looked very impressive. Big commanding keeper but also quite agile for a man of his size

A few decent examples of his ability to get down quickly

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2809132842634803

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2326569577489816

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

He was brilliant for Preston the 2nd half of last season, single handedly got them a lot of points

He would be better off getting a full season of Championship football under his belt first though

I'm sure he would but if we got say an £18m offer for Ward then that almost pays for a Soumare or Daka and for a player who doesn't threaten the first team, who is at his peak value and who we have a very competent replacement in Iversen then it makes good sense.

There is another school of thought that maybe Iversen would progress just as well being No2 here and in and around the first team squad. 

The conundrum of what is optimal shouldn't just be solely based on what is better for Iversen but what is better for the club. A big fee for Ward and being able to replace him adequately in house is like free money.

If we can make a profit I wonder if there are any older keepers knocking about either out of contract or going cheap that could sit the bench for us for a year or two a bit like Mark Schwarzer did a few years ago.  That way Iverson can still go out on loan and play 40 odd games a season to gain experience and then come back in a year and be our number 2 ready to fight for the number 1 spot a year after. 

I think it also worth caveating that having a great tournaments over 3-4 games over the period of a couple of weeks is nothing like performing over 38 league games. 

A lot easier to have a purple patch for a couple of games.

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I think it also worth caveating that having a great tournaments over 3-4 games over the period of a couple of weeks is nothing like performing over 38 league games. 

A lot easier to have a purple patch for a couple of games.

Like Musa having a storming World Cup after being laughably shite in his Leicester career and people re-evaluating him on the strength of a couple of great goals. Never look a gift horse in the mouth and if you get to sell a player who has been consistently crap for years but is in the middle of a purple patch and at his peak value then sell. I'd sell Iheanacho as well for £30m if someone was interested despite him being the most productive player in the PL last season by the metric of goals and assists per minute. 

If we can make a reasonable profit on Ward then a no brainer and I suspect he will want to go if a club offers an eight figure sum for him.

• Like 2