Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
1 minute ago, messerschmitt said:

I was wondering if @moore_94knows how close Ben Nelson is to getting game time next season, I know he's only 17 but he did go to one of the European games last season. I think there are high hopes for him.

Personally I have no clue, I imagine there are some people a bit closer to the youth squads who could give a bit more info though

 

Probably still a bit too early for him to step up with him being only 17, Brendan rotated the youth player on the bench each week for Europa to give the higher rated ones a chance to experience a match day etc.

 

I imagine next season he will be in the u23s, maybe on the bench again for Europa, season after when he is 18 possibly out on loan

  • Like 2
Posted
1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

Personally I have no clue, I imagine there are some people a bit closer to the youth squads who could give a bit more info though

 

Probably still a bit too early for him to step up with him being only 17, Brendan rotated the youth player on the bench each week for Europa to give the higher rated ones a chance to experience a match day etc.

 

I imagine next season he will be in the u23s, maybe on the bench again for Europa, season after when he is 18 possibly out on loan

Thanks, being a bit too hopeful lol

  • Like 1
Posted
18 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Just look at the pattern over the past four season’s. 
 

17/18 we signed Maguire because we needed a starting quality CB, we also signed Dragovic who was well equipped at club & international level. The key thing though, despite being injured, Rob Huth was still on our books.

 

18/19, Huth ended up retiring, we replaced him with an experienced figure in Jonny Evans, leaving us with Evans & Big Wes as the experienced duo.

 

Since then, Wes has taken a back seat, yet we still had him on our books and were able to call upon him a few times. 
 

He’s now retired and we find ourselves in the same situation as 18/19. 
 

When this kind of thing happens, fans tend to throw out numerous ridiculous assumptions. Kabak will do, Ndidi can cover there, Bertrand can cover there, we have Amartey & Benkovic.

 

None of those situations are ideal, 

 

What we need is another Evans/Big Wes type figure, preferably as a stop gap like Bertrand, until someone like Tarkowski becomes available.

I Trust in Soyuncu/Evans/Fofana as our CB- mainstays...Then Add possible Benkovic,Amartey,  (if they stay) Kabak, (if he signs). and

Potential rest bline..Justin,Ricardo,Thomas,Castagna,Bertrand...

But Please Brendan, leave Ndidi in that DM role.

 

I believe we have far  better quality than..18/19..But thats what opinions & forum-discussions, are about..:)

  • Like 1
Posted
4 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I Trust in Soyuncu/Evans/Fofana as our CB- mainstays...Then Add possible Benkovic,Amartey,  (if they stay) Kabak, (if he signs). and

Potential rest bline..Justin,Ricardo,Thomas,Castagna,Bertrand...

But Please Brendan, leave Ndidi in that DM role.

 

I believe we have far  better quality than..18/19..But thats what opinions & forum-discussions, are about..:)

Yes, I can't understand why so many are OK with taking out one of the best players in his position in Europe and placing him some where he looks uncomfortable. 

 

It's a double whammy. 

Posted

Also why are people thinking that Benkovic is suddenly cover? He couldn't cut it any of his loans and Rodgers has shown little faith in him. Am I missing something? 

  • Like 2
Posted
Just now, Collymore said:

Also why are people thinking that Benkovic is suddenly cover? He couldn't cut it any of his loans and Rodgers has shown little faith in him. Am I missing something? 

Even without Benkovic - Evans, Soyuncu, Fofana, Kabak*, Amartey - and then Castagne, Bertrand and JJ should be plenty

Posted (edited)

Sorry I missed the quote @moore_94

 

As @kingfox said earlier. I think reading that highlights a massive issue with experience. I'm not on about general experience, I mean Morgan Evans type experience.

 

Edited by Collymore
Posted
58 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Worst tactical decision possible. 

Less so when you have Soumare, we no longer lose all physicality in the middle. 

  • Like 1
Posted
59 minutes ago, 87fox said:

Bertrand can play left side of a back three

Plus Castagne can (and has!) played as the right sided CB in a three. So plenty of options there. 

 

Of course the correct thing to do is not play 3 at the back and go back to 4231 with a top class Right Winger :ph34r:

 

Our signings suggest otherwise though.

  • Like 2
Posted
2 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Sorry I missed the quote @moore_94

 

As @kingfox said earlier. I think reading that highlights a massive issue with experience. I'm not on about general experience, I mean Morgan Evans type experience.

 

Could well be we do end up missing some experience without replacing Morgan "like for like" as such - but at some point we need to expect Soyuncu at 25 to step up into being one of the leaders at the back rather than having his hand held by Evans or someone else

 

Then it also comes into who is available for that role, what they would expect in terms of wages and contract length etc. and there just might not be that kind of player available that is willing to come in and be a possibly 5th choice player

  • Like 1
Posted
5 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Sorry I missed the quote @moore_94

 

As @kingfox said earlier. I think reading that highlights a massive issue with experience. I'm not on about general experience, I mean Morgan Evans type experience.

 

Morgan was basically useless for last season, so not sure we've lost anything in that regard. Would prefer an older head, but it really depends on what's available cheap, whether they can physically cope with plenty of games etc. It's something the club would have to weight up. Bertrand has played in a 3 from what I've read and he's experienced. 

Posted
23 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Yes, I can't understand why so many are OK with taking out one of the best players in his position in Europe and placing him some where he looks uncomfortable. 

 

It's a double whammy. 

I think it's a bit different now we have Soumare and KDH added to the midfield options. I know it's not ideal, but I think it is fine as a temporary solution.

Posted
1 minute ago, Raw Dykes said:

I think it's a bit different now we have Soumare and KDH added to the midfield options. I know it's not ideal, but I think it is fine as a temporary solution.

Do you not think he's been a bit a shaky at CB? I personally think it hasn't worked at all. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Collymore said:

It also comes down to whether Rodgers is willing to change to a back 4 at times, but I get the feeling he's hell bent on playing the 5.

We've played 4 at the back at least as often as 5 under Rodgers.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Do you not think he's been a bit a shaky at CB? I personally think it hasn't worked at all. 

I don't think it was disastrous or anything. We had incredibly bad luck with injuries and suspensions that forced our hand. Don't get me wrong, it's not something I want to see - I'm just saying, with Soumare able to take his place in midfield, I don't think having to put Ndidi in defence would be anywhere as bad now as it was last season.

Posted
Just now, Raw Dykes said:

I don't think it was disastrous or anything. We had incredibly bad luck with injuries and suspensions that forced our hand. Don't get me wrong, it's not something I want to see - I'm just saying, with Soumare able to take his place in midfield, I don't think having to put Ndidi in defence would be anywhere as bad now as it was last season.

With a proper pre-season in place and much more of a break between seasons I don't think we will see anywhere near as many injury issues as last season either (hopefully)

Posted
2 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

How many premier league teams have more than 5 centre backs?

Stoke had 12 under Pulis.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

I Trust in Soyuncu/Evans/Fofana as our CB- mainstays...Then Add possible Benkovic,Amartey,  (if they stay) Kabak, (if he signs). and

Potential rest bline..Justin,Ricardo,Thomas,Castagna,Bertrand...

But Please Brendan, leave Ndidi in that DM role.

 

I believe we have far  better quality than..18/19..But thats what opinions & forum-discussions, are about..:)

But this is what I don’t get, didn’t some fans learn nothing about last season?

 

We missed out on top four again and lost in R32 of Europa League.

 

This squad is talented, capable of winning trophies like the FA Cup, but as also proven, it’s still a very naive group of players. Last season we lacked depth, we lacked leadership, we lacked experience.

 

Atm, we are building our depth; however we still lack in the leadership & experience department, especially now Fuchs & Big Wes are gone, I don’t see Bertrand being enough.

 

When we lost Evans at times last season, Soyuncu especially looked a liability. To throw names out their like Amartey & Benkovic is a bit silly, especially as many fans don’t rate Amartey and Benkovic has shown absolutely nothing to say he’s ready. 
 

Fans hated when we had to revert to the likes of Ndidi at CB, or call upon Big Dan or play someone out of position, we don’t want to be going through all that again next season.

Edited by kingfox
  • Like 1
Posted
4 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Missing out on CL and going out to Slavia was way more down to lack of depth rather than lack of experience - even having someone like Kabak last season would’ve been an improvement and probably would’ve helped to see us over the line in terms of CL instead of having to use players as makeshift centre backs

A wasted January window bit the club firmly on the bum

  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...