Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

17 minutes ago, LanguedocFox said:

Players like Daka, Praet, Soumare and Under are clearly talented, as they’ve shown with other teams, so why can’t Rodgers get anything out of them? Doesn’t apply to Vestergaard of course.

Well yeah that's another discussion to be had. There's tons of threads on here about players being crap and they are filled with comments about how previously they were good. Barnes, Ndidi, Thomas, Faes (and he's only been here 5 minutes) Castagne, Tielemans, Soyuncu, there's probably more, who people were praising a while back and now claim to be not good enough, and there's one factor that connects them all, and it's the team of coaches that trains them, led by Rodgers.

23 hours ago, lcfc67 said:

I think the point Vestergaaard is missing is that other than the Man City home game where I thought he was really good he has performed like he has won a competition to play in the team.

Some of his performances give headless chickens a bad name. Truly shocking so a little humility wouldn't go amiss.

I don't think we thought his weaknesses were that he couldn't play football - so far that is all he has proved

Again though, is he not just another player who has been shoe-horned into a playing style that he just doesn’t fit? We have seen he is somewhat capable of a sound level of performance in football previously with the Danish national team and Southampton, you wouldn’t have said he was a car crash of a defender then. I don’t think he was ever going to be a world beater with us and we could have recruited far better with what was available at that price. But, I also think it’s another victim of a player who the manager has no idea how to accommodate in his plans and just stuck him into the Brendan ball experiment and expected him to come good.

22 hours ago, LanguedocFox said:

Players like Daka, Praet, Soumare and Under are clearly talented, as they’ve shown with other teams, so why can’t Rodgers get anything out of them? Doesn’t apply to Vestergaard of course.

All those players were unproven in the PL before they came to Leicester. They've  either come from the Italian, French or Austrian League and the step up to the PL is too much for them.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Again though, is he not just another player who has been shoe-horned into a playing style that he just doesn’t fit? We have seen he is somewhat capable of a sound level of performance in football previously with the Danish national team and Southampton, you wouldn’t have said he was a car crash of a defender then. I don’t think he was ever going to be a world beater with us and we could have recruited far better with what was available at that price. But, I also think it’s another victim of a player who the manager has no idea how to accommodate in his plans and just stuck him into the Brendan ball experiment and expected him to come good.

Don't get your point, he's played him at CB, his natural position. There's nothing radical about playing a high pressing game or expecting a centre back to be able to pass and build from the back. Every team in the PL does it. Vestergaard has been rank awful and only gas himself to blame.

If he doesn't like it then he should have moved to Fulham or the German team that was in for him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trooky said:

Don't get your point, he's played him at CB, his natural position. There's nothing radical about playing a high pressing game or expecting a centre back to be able to pass and build from the back. Every team in the PL does it. Vestergaard has been rank awful and only gas himself to blame.

If he doesn't like it then he should have moved to Fulham or the German team that was in for him.

Sorry but he plays at centre back so he should be good at centre back is a very blinkered view. There are so many parts that come into play with how a defensive unit plays.

My point was we have been shambolic defensively for a while. He isn’t by any means a world beater but he’s proven to be a steady premier league player in the past, we also have players in this defensive line with some pedigree in the game and at this level that turn to shit when operating in our side. There has to be far bigger questions asked. It isn’t  anything ‘radical’ that concerns me it’s that under this manager numerous players can’t do the basics that they have been capable of previously and should be at this level.

Jannik Vestergaard is training alone after being asked to stay away from the Leicester first-team squad following an interview in which he was critical of boss Brendan Rodgers.

The Denmark defender, who has not started a league game since January 2022, has long been out of favour with Rodgers and has made only three appearances this season.

Now it is thought Vestergaard is working with a fitness coach on a separate pitch from his colleagues.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11839489/Jannik-Vestergaard-told-STAY-AWAY-Leicesters-squad-training-alone.html

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, davieG said:

Jannik Vestergaard is training alone after being asked to stay away from the Leicester first-team squad following an interview in which he was critical of boss Brendan Rodgers.

The Denmark defender, who has not started a league game since January 2022, has long been out of favour with Rodgers and has made only three appearances this season.

Now it is thought Vestergaard is working with a fitness coach on a separate pitch from his colleagues.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11839489/Jannik-Vestergaard-told-STAY-AWAY-Leicesters-squad-training-alone.html

Given he'd rejected numerous offers, can't say I have any sympathy 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Given he'd rejected numerous offers, can't say I have any sympathy 

He rejected offers because his wife was heavily pregnant and she couldn’t have flown with him to the teams he got offers from abroad at the time. I said at the time though surely the club loaning him could have given him a bit of dispensation let him see the birth of his child etc and then he could have joined them later

• Like 1

Vestergaard should have been banished from first team training long ago.

We sent Gray to the u21s before he left, so why didn’t we do the same with other muck players like Perez and co? Braybrooke and Alves could have easily taken their places and developed with the first team in a similar way to how Man City have utilised Cole Palmer this season.

Sad we’ve had to wait for Brendan’s ego to be bruised.

Edited by Shane

3 minutes ago, Shane said:

Vestergaard should have been banished from first team training long ago.

We sent Gray to the u21s before he left, so why didn’t we do the same with other muck players like Perez and co? Braybrooke and Alves could have easily taken their places and developed with the first team in a similar way to how Man City have utilised Cole Palmer this season.

Sad we’ve had to wait for Brendan’s ego to be bruised.

Hadn't they been training with the first team for a while anyhow? 

I think more of Vestergaard as a man for putting his family first and for going public on Rodgers. The latter has shown what a vindictive little man he can be. Vestergaard isn’t the only player to be frozen out either. Vestergaard is only ‘shit’ because he’s asked to play in a system that accentuates the weaknesses in his game. In a low block he’d be an asset. 
Rodgers is too rigid with his system. He plays the system when he could look at what he has and play to his players strengths. Look at how many players are asked to move away from what they are best at to accommodate the system. Why not try a system that brings out the best in everyone. Rodgers has got it backwards. He doesn’t get the best out of the orchestra of parts. 

Edited by An Away Move
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Hadn't they been training with the first team for a while anyhow? 

Yep but they still played for the youth team. I think they were good enough to leave that level behind and gradually progress with the first team making small cameos here and there like Cole Palmer this season. 

Just now, An Away Move said:

Alves was definitely being lined up for a run in the first team before that rodent Caden Voice vindictively smashed his knee. 

I also think he’d have been more effective than Teté from what I’ve seen so far. Possibly Barnes of late too. 

4 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

I think more of Vestergaard as a man for putting his family first and for going public on Rodgers. The latter has shown what a vindication little man he can be. Vestergaard isn’t the only player to be frozen out either. Vestergaard is only ‘shit’ because he’s asked to play in a system that accentuates the weaknesses in his game. In a low block he’d be an asset. 
Rodgers is too rigid with his system. He plays the system when he could look at what he has and play to his players strengths. Look at how many players are asked to move away from what they are best at to accommodate the system. Why not try a system that brings out the best in everyone. Rodgers has got it backwards. He doesn’t get the best out of the orchestra of parts. 

I don’t think a lot of Vestergard for not putting playing first in the summer (not so in January for his personal reasons).

However, as you say, this reflects worse on Rodgers. Little dictator…

Just now, An Away Move said:

I also think he’d have been more effective than Teté from what I’ve seen so far. Possibly Barnes of late too. 

Please look at Barnes stats before making comments like that, they aren't half bad. 

• Like 2

I have sympathy for the lad if it really has come to this. However it’s now painfully clear it was a mistake and there is no place for him in the first team.

As for his ability all I know is a good friend who is a regular at St Mary’s said their supporters couldn’t believe their luck when we bought him.