Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

3 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

Fulham would have been an ideal move for lurch to re-start his career. That one is really baffling. Especially when you look at how well they are playing in the league. Everything else I believe is probably true both him  & Rogers to blame for a bad relationship.

Bet they're gutted they missed out on him. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Tbh I have every sympathy with the lad, particularly the comment below…

So Brendan Rodgers and the club knew exactly which player they were buying with both my strengths and weaknesses, and it's hard to understand that from one moment to the next I'm suddenly unusable.’ 

Rodgers courted him for two windows, then offered him top dollar - he must’ve seen something that the rest of us could never see in him. Then apparently after spending £15m and giving him 70k a week Rodgers suddenly realised what every Southampton fan and most leicester already knew about him. No pace, can’t play in a back 4, prefers playing in a deep lying back 5. It’s totally on Rodgers. Vestergaard can be criticised for sitting on his arse after being offered opportunities at other clubs but tbf based on his relationship with Rodgers why would he take the pay cut that leaving Leicester would inevitably result in? 

If it was about playing football why didn’t he take the Fulham loan. 

2 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Have a feeling that he was a panic buy.

No stop defending it, how can it be a panic buy, when he was contacted by Brendan Rodgers 18 months before asking him to move to Leicester. It's what it is a disaster signing by BR 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, funkyrobot said:

Tbh I have every sympathy with the lad, particularly the comment below…

So Brendan Rodgers and the club knew exactly which player they were buying with both my strengths and weaknesses, and it's hard to understand that from one moment to the next I'm suddenly unusable.’ 

Rodgers courted him for two windows, then offered him top dollar - he must’ve seen something that the rest of us could never see in him. Then apparently after spending £15m and giving him 70k a week Rodgers suddenly realised what every Southampton fan and most leicester fans already knew about him. No pace, can’t play in a back 4, prefers playing in a deep lying back 5. It’s totally on Rodgers. Vestergaard can be criticised for sitting on his arse after being offered opportunities at other clubs but tbf based on his relationship with Rodgers why would he take the pay cut that leaving Leicester would inevitably result in? 

Suddenly usable? Sorry but this guy is either living in dreamland or is flat out lying to make himself look good to the gullible.

He’s had more than enough chances to show he can still play at this level and he’s blown ‘em. 

1 hour ago, funkyrobot said:

I’ve not said it was about playing football. It’s about a guy being courted by a manager, given a very generous contract and then when there’s a realisation that he’s not the right fit, being dumped on the sidelines. It’s not as if there’s been any slump in form since he signed - he’s never changed, he’s the same flawed player that he was at Southampton. He’s a very specific deep defender in a deep back 3 defensive line, he plays that role in part because of strengths and because of his obvious weaknesses (a lack of pace being key.) Why should Vestergaard up sticks and take an inevitable significant pay cut to help out Brendan and Leicester when he is clearly upset with how he’s been treated? 

From his own perspective as a professional footballer, he had a chance to play at the World Cup.

It’s doesn’t come as a huge surprise he didn’t get a sniff  the season he was actually needed.

Just 10 games when he was purchased as a replacement for Fofana.

Yet he thought he was going to break into the team this season 🤔

Edited by HankMarvin
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

I’ve not said it was about playing football. It’s about a guy being courted by a manager, given a very generous contract and then when there’s a realisation that he’s not the right fit, being dumped on the sidelines. It’s not as if there’s been any slump in form since he signed - he’s never changed, he’s the same flawed player that he was at Southampton. He’s a very specific deep defender in a deep back 3 defensive line, he plays that role in part because of strengths and because of his obvious weaknesses (a lack of pace being key.) Why should Vestergaard up sticks and take an inevitable significant pay cut to help out Brendan and Leicester when he is clearly upset with how he’s been treated? 

Although less one dimensional, Souttar, Amartey and Faes are hardly ball playing high line defenders. Rodgers tried to convert Maguire and Evans to this style of play with mixed success. He is far too fond of square peg in a round hole tactics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_77 said:

Suddenly usable? Sorry but this guy is either living in dreamland or is flat out lying to make himself look good to the gullible.

He’s had more than enough chances to show he can still play at this level and he’s blown ‘em. 

Rodgers wanted him over two transfer windows, he clearly saw something in him. Vestergaard obviously believes in his own ability. Does being courted by a top manager and believing in his own ability make him gullible? I’m not sure. I didn’t think he was going to be a good fit for us, Southampton fans laughed when we signed him as they knew the flaws that made him flit in and out of their team. He doesn’t fit our style of play at all (except when we play Man City under Rodgers and he sets up the team to camp in our own penalty box.) This is 100% on Rodgers as he was the person at the club pushing to buy a player not at all suited to the 433 system that he likes to play. 

1 hour ago, The_77 said:

Sorry but this guy is flat out lying to make himself look good to the gullible.

Then we can't say he didn't learn anything in two years under Rodgers :brendan:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...it is not, not in this instance!!!

It is all down to principle. 

Exactly, how can you have every sympathy for someone that chose to make a stand.
He turned the chance of first team football and missed the World Cup out of principle. Don’t whine about it months later when it comes back to bite you on the arse.

9 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Please look at Barnes stats before making comments like that, they aren't half bad. 

Of course you’re right, but there was an interesting article on Barnes in The Athletic recently. He seems to have mastered getting into scoring positions in the box via one twos, but he very rarely gets by anyone in a different way. I think Alves replaces Barnes when the time comes. He has more skills in his locker to go past people. He’s fast too. 

The most annoying thing is 2 fold for me, we've spent the money wage wise and transfer wise when we could have easily got a suitable defender from the championship or abroad for the same money, and the knock on effect that's had, love him or hate him we've had to play amartey way too often because the cover that should have been there just wasn't because the player we got was just not up to it. Very annoying, and I think it's on Rodgers it's on record he wanted him. God knows why. What a total waste of money. The fact cags never gets a look in either and never really has, considering he's immeasurably better than Vest in every way, just leads me to believe Rodgers doesn't have a clue about centre backs. I'm so fed up with brendan now I can't believe he's still here sleepwalking us to relegation. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

Exactly, how can you have every sympathy for someone that chose to make a stand.
He turned the chance of first team football and missed the World Cup out of principle. Don’t whine about it months later when it comes back to bite you on the arse.

...I  feel that you have misunderstood my post!!!

He is talking about being stitched up by someone he believed to be a friend or at least asked for him to give him his trust.

Why should he take a post  paying less money and living in an area that will not suit his family. He has lost a lot of game time, why not take this opportunity to get something out of this. Take the money,  Rodgers knew who he was bringing him. Our system did not suit him. Why did we bring him here. 

He will probably be gone in the summer, with a new baby, this is the best time for him to be available,  he won't be too unhappy with that.

Goodluck to him.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Babylon said:

Adrian Silva says hello.

That was down to Puel. He benched Iborra and Silva in favour of Matt James. Silva just needed a run under a decent manager. Being asked to play tippy tappy keep ball in 20 minute cameos isn't going to bring out anyone's form.