Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

• 2 months later...

http://sportwitness.co.uk/out-in-the-cold-leicester-player-says-he-feels-strange-with-rodgers-treatment-summer-divorce-on-cards/

“Out in the cold” – Leicester player says he ‘feels strange’ with Rodgers treatment, summer divorce on cards
By Naveen Ullal -1st March 2023

Jannik Vestergaard claims Brendan Rodgers has sidelined him at Leicester City without providing any explanation.

The Denmark international’s compatriot, Daniel Agger, said earlier this week that Rodgers’ plans for him changed swiftly during his time at Liverpool.

Agger played under the current Leicester manager when the pair were at Liverpool. The former Reds defender was initially told a team would be built around him, before he was frozen out by the Northern Irishman at Anfield.

Vestergaard had a chat with Ekstra Bladet, and the centre-back admitted he can relate to what Agger went through at Liverpool.

“I think my situation at Leicester is in many ways very similar to what Agger experienced at Liverpool. From being highly valued one day to suddenly being completely out in the cold the next without an explanation you can use for anything,” he said.

“In a way, it almost feels nice to know that there is a history that Daniel Agger has also experienced that treatment; from day to night completely out of the blue.”

Vestergaard has featured three times this season and all of those appearances came in cup competitions. He hasn’t played a minute for Leicester in the Premier League.

The 30-year-old has revealed the manager chased him for over a year before he joined Leicester in 2021. This makes him more intrigued with Rodgers’ treatment.

“I can also recognise Agger’s experience in that I really felt wanted by Brendan Rodgers,” Vestergaard explained.

“While I was at Southampton, I had contact with him a year and a half before I switched, where he called me and we had personal talks, and where he really convinced me that I should switch to Leicester.

“I was already very close to switching from Southampton to Leicester, a year and a half before it became a reality. So, Brendan Rodgers and the club knew exactly which player they were buying with both my strengths and weaknesses, and it’s hard to understand that from one moment to the next I’m suddenly unusable. It feels strange, I must admit.”

After deciding against leaving Leicester in January due to personal reasons, a ‘divorce this summer’ is on the cards for Vestergaard, when his deal expires in June.

• Thanks 1

Just now, StanSP said:

See ya! 

I'm guessing this is more in terms of how he was wanted, as opposed to footballing terms... 

You'd have to assume if he was highly valued then it must be because he thought his football skills were what we needed, why else would you value a footballer?

Deal expires in June 2024 not 2023 like it says in that article.

The thing is if a manager is treating you so poorly why would you stick around? He's had plenty of offers from other clubs but is happy to sit on the sidelines and moan about it, trying to paint Rodgers as the bad guy. I can't stand Rodgers, but he's offered him the chance to go out and get some football and Vestegaard didn't want that.

Nice that we can finally put to bed the 'scouts and DOF sign footballers Rodgers has nothing to do with it' line as well.

Another poor Rodgers signing to add to the list :thumbdown:

• Like 1

Jannik Vestergaard claims Brendan Rodgers has sidelined him at Leicester City without providing any explanation.

can give you the explanation if you want, it's because you're doggo mate. 

some quality man management there from a man who's ego is bigger than him

4 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

This is pretty damning of Rodgers, not only does it prove Rodgers was the one pushing for the transfer but also his subsequent treatment of Vestergard is very poor. 

whilst most on here would agree he has been a poor signing, he is still an asset of the club and to be treated in the way he has is pretty unprofessional. 

what I do find interesting is whether the club’s hierarchy were aware of the article and what their view of it is. If there is some unhappiness in the squad and with some members of the club’s hierarchy then this kind of interview is only going to make Rodgers position more difficult, also does make you wonder if others such as Under, Praet, Soyuncu, Perez, Kels, Mendy et al have gone through or going through similar treatment, which would lead to a fairly fractured and negative environment. 

Thing is we’re accustomed to the belief our players go to Percy to ‘leak’ things.

Percy seems to be fully supportive and complementary towards Rodgers like ally of the media. 

I don’t believe many of the media are willing to go back on their word or slag him off no matter what is ‘leaked’ to them by unhappy players.

1 hour ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

This is pretty damning of Rodgers, not only does it prove Rodgers was the one pushing for the transfer but also his subsequent treatment of Vestergard is very poor. 

whilst most on here would agree he has been a poor signing, he is still an asset of the club and to be treated in the way he has is pretty unprofessional. 

what I do find interesting is whether the club’s hierarchy were aware of the article and what their view of it is. If there is some unhappiness in the squad and with some members of the club’s hierarchy then this kind of interview is only going to make Rodgers position more difficult, also does make you wonder if others such as Under, Praet, Soyuncu, Perez, Kels, Mendy et al have gone through or going through similar treatment, which would lead to a fairly fractured and negative environment. 

Vestergaard played his way out of the squad. 

Mendy found himself out in the cold several times and was shopped around + loaned out and he never kicked up a fraction of the fuss Vestergaard has.

I don’t see any reason why he wouldn’t be the club’s 5th-choice CB (I’d rather Cags fill in for Amartey over him). I’m sorry it hasn’t worked out for him here and I’m sorry he hasn’t done enough to get back up the depth chart, but too bad so sad.

He’s a bad signing and it’s better a team and a manager understand that rather than accommodate a player that doesn’t deserve a spot in the XI.

I’m not happy with Rodgers at all right now but am I supposed to be mad at the manager for not playing a player who’s not nearly as good as he and his scouting/management team thought? If anyone else on the team wants to complain at Rodgers, have at it, sure, go ahead. But somehow, Vestergaard’s pleading is just like his play: it only makes the other side look better, even when they should be losing.

• Like 2

No wonder Vest 'n' pants is saying a big F.U. to Rodgers and Leicester.  Most of us would do the same in our work lives if a manager of a company contacted us and said they wanted us to work for their company, and then shoved us in the basement and made it clear we were not wanted after a few weeks or months.  Some of us would say "sod it, I'm going to just sit here do a bit of work, and take my paycheck"  just to be goddamn awkward.  It is what people can do if they feel wronged by someone else, it is human nature.   Others just feel humiliated and just have to get out, but I think I can be humiliated quite easily on a couple of million a year!

Edited by Le Renard

Guess this isn’t normal in the UK?

College coaches do this all the time to prospects here in the US. Wine and dine ‘em, to get them to commit.  Then if they just can’t adjust, or aren’t worth a damn, they don’t play.  
Seems like normal business to me.

Firstly, I don’t see any reason not to believe what JV is saying.

Secondly, putting JV makes me realise that Vestergard does not deserve to share initials with the GOAT!

It does reflect very badly on Rodgers. It doesn’t come as a surprise from the point of view of him wanting the signing or how he treats players.

But, it also doesn’t reflect well on Vestergard. He has had opportunities to leave. Even if we take the pregnant wife as a valid reason in January (and I do after having my wife pregnant last year), what about the summer?

We are to believe he turned down Fulham and then said it was because Rodgers had told him he was valued and part of the plans. Again, probably true as Rodgers is a bullshitter. BUT, if the article is true and he felt he had been deceived by Rodgers, why would he trust/believe him in the summer?

The answer is, whether or not Rodgers did tell him that in the summer, it was money that kept him around. That or he is really thick/naïve.

Basically, they both need to go!

20 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Took personal calls? Isn’t that tapping up

I did wonder, but it seems that he might have had permission from the way he goes on to say he nearly signed for us, and we got him at the second attempt.

But if that's true it means we really really wanted to sign him and pursued him across 2 windows.

Either one should be punishable by a large fine.

I think the point Vestergaaard is missing is that other than the Man City home game where I thought he was really good he has performed like he has won a competition to play in the team.

Some of his performances give headless chickens a bad name. Truly shocking so a little humility wouldn't go amiss.

I don't think we thought his weaknesses were that he couldn't play football - so far that is all he has proved

I think there's two parts to this story. I totally believe we've been interested before, I totally believe Rodgers has been interested in Vestergaard before, but I don't believe he's been frozen out with no explanation. I can understand after chasing him so long it's confusing when he was suddenly dropped, but I think the fact we've been trying to move him on for the last 2 transfer windows and have signed 2 centre backs should be obvious to him he's not in the plans. Sometimes a player signs and it doesn't work out, and that's what happened here. To claim after signing two players in his position and accepting at least 3 offers for him that he feels confused about not playing is laughable.

• Like 1

It worries me more that Rodgers watched him for a year and a half after the initial first contact and still continued to persue him!! 

I find myself questioning what Rodgers can see in a player quite often.

Just now, lee7 said:

It worries me more that Rodgers watched him for a year and a half after the initial first contact and still continued to persue him!! 

I find myself questioning what Rodgers can see in a player quite often.

I like to think we’ve learnt out lesson but I fear it’s going to happen again with Jack Harrison.

Rodgers should never get involved in recruitment. I remember when Ryan Bennet came on loan and Rodgers talked openly about how much he admired Bennet and had been chasing him since he was at Swansea. He turned out to be a complete dud, but at least it never costs us. Jannick is snail pace, who can't play a high line. It's pretty obvious from his Southampton days, yet Rodgers chased this guy for months only to find this out when he played him. Thankfully responsibility for signings has been taken away from him and the result is Victor. When we signed him, Rodgers said something along the lines of I've been told he's a good player, alluding to the fact he'd had no say in the transfer, thank God for that.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, sm1 said:

Rodgers should never get involved in recruitment. I remember when Ryan Bennet came on loan and Rodgers talked openly about how much he admired Bennet and had been chasing him since he was at Swansea. He turned out to be a complete dud, but at least it never costs us. Jannick is snail pace, who can't play a high line. It's pretty obvious from his Southampton days, yet Rodgers chased this guy for months only to find this out when he played him. Thankfully responsibility for signings has been taken away from him and the result is Victor. When we signed him, Rodgers said something along the lines of I've been told he's a good player, alluding to the fact he'd had no say in the transfer, thank God for that.

You only have to look at some of the players he's brought in and then almost immediately froze out to see that he's useless at spotting a player and can only see it when they play in his team. Obviously some of them are still used sporadically, but the likes of Daka, Praet, Soumare, Under, Vestergaard, Bertrand (pre injury), Bennett, and I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting. All have come in and then been pushed back out the team pretty quickly and in Praets case loaned out, in Vestergaard case attempted to sell. Its a large chunk of the players he's brought into the club prior to the new recruitment team coming in.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

You only have to look at some of the players he's brought in and then almost immediately froze out to see that he's useless at spotting a player and can only see it when they play in his team. Obviously some of them are still used sporadically, but the likes of Daka, Praet, Soumare, Under, Vestergaard, Bertrand (pre injury), Bennett, and I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting. All have come in and then been pushed back out the team pretty quickly and in Praets case loaned out, in Vestergaard case attempted to sell. Its a large chunk of the players he's brought into the club prior to the new recruitment team coming in.

Players like Daka, Praet, Soumare and Under are clearly talented, as they’ve shown with other teams, so why can’t Rodgers get anything out of them? Doesn’t apply to Vestergaard of course.

• Like 1