Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Stadium Expansion *APPROVED* Sept ‘22 - Details / Images Released on Planning Site

On 26/04/2022 at 19:54, leicesterseddon said:

It is a “hybrid” application so yes - the expansion is linked to the rest of the project being approved. 

But the applications are different…

The expansion is a full application, meaning building work can begin once it is approved. 

The rest of the site is just an outline application - meaning the council would be agreeing in principle to the idea of the development, with detailed proposals presented further down the line. 

From my understanding, outline permission is often sought by developers who want to raise money for a project (because it gives potential investors more certainty it will actually get built) 

In terms of the delay…I have no idea. Presumably it’s on the council’s side but frankly who knows 

Any way of asking them?

So there's been a delay and, without any evidence whatsoever it's definitely the council's fault and Soulsby, who doesn't even have a say in making the final decision, needs to be kicked.

The only thing less surprising than the kneejerk reaction are people who have, unsurprisingly, taken no time to educate themselves on how planning processes work. Bunch of morons.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone in the know have any news? 

Given the construction lead in times and preparation for ticket allocations it is going to be awfully tight for next season for whenever construction starts.

1 hour ago, UHDrive said:

Anyone in the know have any news? 

Given the construction lead in times and preparation for ticket allocations it is going to be awfully tight for next season for whenever construction starts.

I haven’t seen anything at all in a while. Nothing on the portal has been updated.

1 hour ago, Fox in the North said:

I haven’t seen anything at all in a while. Nothing on the portal has been updated.

I'm amazed none of the enabling works on the derelict land have even been started yet. Permission for that was granted in January.

Makes you wonder what's going on behind the scenes

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

This will just go as debt anyway in the short term but I imagine with the rising costs of building materials they're probably just biding their time.

Didn't take you long to swoop in and end my hope :D

This sounds much more plausible.

Leicester wanting to delay the project or not will having nothing to do with when the planners grant permission. 

The Mercury used to do reports on planning meetings at the council for various big projects.

I'm sure there used be a way you could find out when and what was decided.  But can't find it anywhere online .:dunno:

43 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

This will just go as debt anyway in the short term but I imagine with the rising costs of building materials they're probably just biding their time.

.....they are going to have to wait for some time for the materials and labour situation to be back pre pandemic levels!!!

The cost of this delay has probably added another 15 - 25% on to the initial budget, They might as well take the hit now, and continue with the plans. With the hotel delay, there is potential revenue not coming into the club.

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....they are going to have to wait for some time for the materials and labour situation to be back pre pandemic levels!!!

The cost of this delay has probably added another 15 - 25% on to the initial budget, They might as well take the hit now, and continue with the plans. With the hotel delay, there is potential revenue not coming into the club.

There was never a timescale for the hotel other than the planning approval length just the stadium as they only applied for outline so I'm sure they've taken that into account.

• Like 2

Nearly a month after the target decision date now.

I do wonder whether the Club are stalling as some have suggested and/or whether we might look to develop the detailed plans of the “non-football” structures to understand any efficiencies or cost savings that might be made through purchasing materials etc. 🤔

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MalletFox said:

Nearly a month after the target decision date now.

I do wonder whether the Club are stalling as some have suggested and/or whether we might look to develop the detailed plans of the “non-football” structures to understand any efficiencies or cost savings that might be made through purchasing materials etc. 🤔

I suppose the club could stall the council planners from making a decision by not supplying information requested but that's likely to lead to a refusal. 

It's all a bit odd that we've not had any snippets of information or leaks as to what's actually going on. I'm sure that it can't just be left in abeyance as that would prompt the planners to request the club to withdraw the application until they are in a position to proceed. 

The planning portal is not much help and the club seems to have gone into radio silence. Perhaps they'll be an update in Top's end of season programme notes. 

Shame that we haven't got any local investigative journalists that could find out what, if anything, is happening. It's a very important development for our club and city and we deserve an update at least. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AmyLGK said:

Hey - so is the issue that we should have had a planning decision by now (past the 8 week period) or something else? Just trying to catch up. 

The target date for decision has been missed twice now. The latest being 20th April. The club planned to start the work in Q1, again also obviously missed. 

I think it's the absence of information that is causing uncertainty. No one seems to know what's going on. 

• Like 1

Just now, Spudulike said:

The target date for decision has been missed twice now. The latest being 20th April. The club planned to start the work in Q1, again also obviously missed. 

I think it's the absence of information that is causing uncertainty. No one seems to know what's going on. 

ah right - well, I know for a fact that many planning authorities are missing their target dates as they are still overwhelmed due to Covid.....still citing "unprecedented times" :facepalm:

Some are ignoring the architects / technologists completely..... (they should issue a request for an extension)

It's a farce...! 

• Like 1