Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Stadium Expansion *APPROVED* Sept ‘22 - Details / Images Released on Planning Site

31 minutes ago, kenny said:

Leicester is particularly behind at the moment.

The KP development forms part of the Leicester regeneration plan in all the councils media stuff, so it won't get rejected even if the planners have things they want to be changed.

And for that reason I thought that the KP development would be top of the priority list and as such put at the top of the pile to review.

Hopefully we hear something soon.

54 minutes ago, MalletFox said:

And for that reason I thought that the KP development would be top of the priority list and as such put at the top of the pile to review.

Hopefully we hear something soon.

The will of the city and its mayor are not the same thing as the planning department.

2 hours ago, kenny said:

The will of the city and its mayor are not the same thing as the planning department.

I didn’t say it was, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest that the size of the project / benefit might have a bearing on how deep it sits in the priority pile.

Maybe it is as straightforward as “there’s a backlog, and working through them in submission date order”… 🤔

8 minutes ago, MalletFox said:

I didn’t say it was, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest that the size of the project / benefit might have a bearing on how deep it sits in the priority pile.

Maybe it is as straightforward as “there’s a backlog, and working through them in submission date order”… 🤔

It's that straight forward I think. From home of course, with COVID problems and computer issues. The usual sorry tale.

• Like 1

Forgive my ignorance of the process but does anybody know if there is any possibility that the club may be having a rethink?

Though the development around the stadium is welcome, I have to admit I was disappointed at the size of the expansion itself.  Doesn't really move the needle when comparing the King Power against other Premier League stadia.  I think I'm right in saying it only leapfrogs us above Southampton.  I believe we are at a stage now where we could have been more ambitious.  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, BlueSi13 said:

Forgive my ignorance of the process but does anybody know if there is any possibility that the club may be having a rethink?

Though the development around the stadium is welcome, I have to admit I was disappointed at the size of the expansion itself.  Doesn't really move the needle when comparing the King Power against other Premier League stadia.  I think I'm right in saying it only leapfrogs us above Southampton.  I believe we are at a stage now where we could have been more ambitious.  

We don't actually know what's going on but the only way we will know if the club is having a rethink will be if they withdraw the application. It's very unlikely to be the case given how advanced the planning and cost already committed. 

40,000+ seats is the benchmark that will put the stadium into the frame for future international tournaments. Coupled with one of the most modern and advanced training bases it puts us in a very good position to be a host city. 

I think the increased capacity takes us above more than just Southampton (Elland Road, Goodison until they move and puts us on par with Chelsea and just behind Villa). 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/384458/premier-league-stadium-capacity/

Edited by Spudulike

3 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

We don't actually know what's going on but the only way we will know if the club is having a rethink will be if they withdraw the application. It's very unlikely to be the case given how advanced the planning and cost already committed. 

40,000+ seats is the benchmark that will put the stadium into the frame for future international tournaments. Coupled with one of the most modern and advanced training bases it puts us in a very good position to be a host city. 

I think the increased capacity takes us above more than just Southampton (Elland Road? Goodison until they move and puts us on par with Villa). 

Villa have plans for expansion, placing application at the end of the summer, and want to complete it in 2024, so at this rate they'll be done before us.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Villa have plans for expansion, placing application at the end of the summer, and want to complete it in 2024, so at this rate they'll be done before us.

Unlikely unless they have faster a planning dept at Birmingham. 

14 hours ago, BlueSi13 said:

Susan Whelan made it pretty clear in one of the sessions the club had with the fans regards the stadium expansion that there is further opportunity to expand other stands should the demand be there.

From memory I believe she cited “research” as being the reason for why the current expansion is upto 40k.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MalletFox said:

Susan Whelan made it pretty clear in one of the sessions the club had with the fans regards the stadium expansion that there is further opportunity to expand other stands should the demand be there.

From memory I believe she cited “research” as being the reason for why the current expansion is upto 40k.

It makes sense - we want a ground that we can regularly fill. If the capacity goes up to 40k and we find that's not enough, there will be further expansions.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

It makes sense - we want a ground that we can regularly fill. If the capacity goes up to 40k and we find that's not enough, there will be further expansions.

Yep - one step stand at a time - but we don't want too many Warhammer supporters, right? :P

Edited by PhillippaT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t understand the “bigger is better” mentality when it comes to the KP expansion.  The competition is on the pitch, not counting seats.

Investment in stadium capacity reduces funds available for investment in the squad, and brings a smaller financial return.  Clubs with big, half-empty stadiums and poor (or Championship) sides look a bit ridiculous.

We think the club will often be able to sell out 40K, and make STs available to those who want them.  OK, good.  Now, would adding still more seats further from the action result in consistent crowds?  Or plastic warming in the sun?  The club ’s research seems to point to the latter.

The smaller the ground, the closer to the action the (relatively) cheap seats are.  If you’re an away fan or groundhopper, do you more enjoy watching a match at a modern megastadium or a smaller ground?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

I've just been told the bulldozers are going in on Monday

Not sure what part of the expansion this is for, but it seems like a lot of work is going on in the summer

They already have permission to do the pipe groundwork so it could be for that 

https://planning.leicester.gov.uk/Planning/Display/20212528

Edited by jammie82uk

15 minutes ago, KingsX said:

I don’t understand the “bigger is better” mentality when it comes to the KP expansion.  The competition is on the pitch, not counting seats.

Investment in stadium capacity reduces funds available for investment in the squad, and brings a smaller financial return.  Clubs with big, half-empty stadiums and poor (or Championship) sides look a bit ridiculous.

We think the club will often be able to sell out 40K, and make STs available to those who want them.  OK, good.  Now, would adding still more seats further from the action result in consistent crowds?  Or plastic warming in the sun?  The club ’s research seems to point to the latter.

The smaller the ground, the closer to the action the (relatively) cheap seats are.  If you’re an away fan or groundhopper, do you more enjoy watching a match at a modern megastadium or a smaller ground?

...there is the ability to use the stadium other than for footballing purposes or for International games!!!

This sounds like the business side looking to kick in.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

"Bigger is better" if the demand is there: I recognize that King Power doesn't want to not over-expand, but I am a sure they have the preliminary plans for a "full expansion" in a drawer somewhere. Currently, the club doesn't even really market going to Premier League matches, and I don't think they will need to at 40,000. Do you think if they actually advertised ticket sales, pursued schools/houses of worship/businesses, etc, they wouldn't sell 48,000 for most league matches? Maybe not cup games, but they don't aggressively market those in any event.

However, the expansion is certainly more than adding seats: It is adding income generating opportunities for the club, including premium seats, better food options, more opportunity to sell merchandise, etc. etc. A bigger stadium -- especially if it is a modern stadium -- is a statement about the club, and itself a draw for better players. Of course it is a risk: I think Everton hovering around the drop zone has terrified a lot of "mid major" teams, but I think (hope) we will stay a PL mainstay for the time being.

If this clubs management has proven anything to us is their due diligence with details and planning. Whatever they propose and eventually build I have faith it was rooted in affordability, practicality and sensibility. There’s is some ambition sprinkled in their too but not at all costs.

i for one can’t wait to see this vision realized but it’s gonna take some time. Hopefully I’ll be a season ticket member by then loo

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...there is the ability to use the stadium other than for footballing purposes or for International games!!!

This sounds like the business side looking to kick in.

In a market like Leicester, those opportunities will be occasional, not frequent. 

Spurs' huge new toilet bowl in a world metropolis, with NFL games nailed on, is a potential money spinner.

50K in a medium-sized midlands city for a concert or two and the occasional international friendly, is a nice-to-have.

A mere two places in the table is four and a half million pounds of not only revenue, but profit.  More than would be generated from non-football uses of a megastadium in the east midlands.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

This. 

So nice seeing kids growing up and playing out in Leicester kits rather than the man United, Liverpool and arsenal I seen as I grew up. 

We need room to grow and the next generation. 

It’s spreading too, I know it’s south Notts but loads of kids in full kit in the parks of Ruddington and West Bridgford. 

Helps half the players live here now lol 

• Like 1