Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shade

Second chance modbros?

Modbros, give me one more chance in the general chat section please? If you're silencing people, unless it's for something egregiously offensive or illegal they post, they should be given an official warning first surely?

I promise I'll self-censor and will actively try not to post anything offensive, misinformational or lacking in context.

I'm a twelve year, impeccably behaved FT veteran, do the needful? 

7 hours ago, shade said:

Modbros, give me one more chance in the general chat section please? If you're silencing people, unless it's for something egregiously offensive or illegal they post, they should be given an official warning first surely?

I promise I'll self-censor and will actively try not to post anything offensive, misinformational or lacking in context.

What you posted regarding homosexuality was indeed deeply offensive. 

20 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

What you posted regarding homosexuality was indeed deeply offensive. 

Deb, I'm not going to go in to that again, but I will say that I fail to see how referencing the largest ever and most up to date study on the subject is offensive? I appreciate that it's a sensitive subject though so I will avoid such discussions in the future.

2 minutes ago, shade said:

Deb, I'm not going to go in to that again, but I will say that I fail to see how referencing the largest ever and most up to date study on the subject is offensive? I appreciate that it's a sensitive subject though so I will avoid such discussions in the future.

I think it's probably the fact that you can't see how offensive it is that has led to your ban. Not to mention the misinformation in the Covid thread. But I agree, no need to go over it, and besides, this is not the place. 

• Like 1

There's a lot to digest here; and I fully agree that TPH should be reinstated where-so-ever he has been errrr unstated?

Son, when you grow up

Would you be the saviour of the broken,

the beaten and the banned......

People are crazy, times are strange,

I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range,

I used to care but, things have changed.

And that was how I segued from MCR to Dylan. It was seamless. You didn't even see the point where it changed.

Its just an internet message board. The people who run it are no better or more powerful than you; they just wanted a way to be powerful and so they are... but equally, by that very 'need' for the power, really they aren't.

Or are they?

Yeah.

Edited by The People's Hero
Evidently I think quicker than I can type. And my thinking is reeeeeeeeal slow.

On 20/01/2022 at 10:10, shade said:

Oh so you've been kicked out as well? Join the club. Seems to me you have to conform to certain views in there. No warning, not even an explanation or indication as to whether the ban is temporary or permanent. Poor form really.

5 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

Oh so you've been kicked out as well? Join the club. Seems to me you have to conform to certain views in there. No warning, not even an explanation or indication as to whether the ban is temporary or permanent. Poor form really.

Oh complete balls. I'm pleased to say that my 'views' are largely diametrically the opposite to yours - I was banned just before Christmas. Perhaps you should consider not just the content of your posting but how you go about it instead of playing the victim mentality. You're 'kicked out' - so what? Perhaps reflect on why, instead of blaming everyone other than yourself. 

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

Oh complete balls. I'm pleased to say that my 'views' are largely diametrically the opposite to yours - I was banned just before Christmas. Perhaps you should consider not just the content of your posting but how you go about it instead of playing the victim mentality. You're 'kicked out' - so what? Perhaps reflect on why, instead of blaming everyone other than yourself. 

And i've been banned numerous times too - and I have no doubt that Mark and the other mods disagree with me on a lot. I don't like it but I get on with it - for all that I'm temporarily irked, we're still provided with a very, very good forum, and I keep reminding myself of that.

As @Line-X says, and I tried to suggest @Farrington fox, it's how you go about what you say as much as anything, and your victim mentality burns like a torch in the dark too.

9 hours ago, Line-X said:

8 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

And i've been banned numerous times too - and I have no doubt that Mark and the other mods disagree with me on a lot. I don't like it but I get on with it - for all that I'm temporarily irked, we're still provided with a very, very good forum, and I keep reminding myself of that.

As @Line-X says, and I tried to suggest @Farrington fox, it's how you go about what you say as much as anything, and your victim mentality burns like a torch in the dark too.

I wasn't complaining, but I couldn't work out what had happened at first, the reply button had gone but I had no messages or warnings in my profile so I didn't even realise I had been silenced! It was just surprising. 

I don't even know what it was for, I know mods are busy but a quick 10 word message would help just to let you know what you've done? I guess it was for posting stuff that may cause people to become vaccine hesitant (although anyone who wants it must have had it by now surely lol). In my defence I always cited sources and almost always made sure they came from reputable places like the ONS or medical journals. 

The torturous part of it is not knowing how long I'm banned for, it's like I'm in Guantanamo Bay here!

20 minutes ago, shade said:

I wasn't complaining, but I couldn't work out what had happened at first, the reply button had gone but I had no messages or warnings in my profile so I didn't even realise I had been silenced! It was just surprising. 

I don't even know what it was for, I know mods are busy but a quick 10 word message would help just to let you know what you've done? I guess it was for posting stuff that may cause people to become vaccine hesitant (although anyone who wants it must have had it by now surely lol). In my defence I always cited sources and almost always made sure they came from reputable places like the ONS or medical journals. 

The torturous part of it is not knowing how long I'm banned for, it's like I'm in Guantanamo Bay here!

Again, I will try to be respectful in response...

This happens to many people. And much as I understand the frustration at not knowing, that is just how it is. I suspect that there are so many hours in the day for the mods, and that having to explain decisions to people will only lead to those people contesting said decisions.

They're not paid to run the site, I imagine that Mark and everyone else has a job to do besides providing us with FT. It isn't perfect, and nobody claims it is, but I can also imagine how maddening it must be to have certain individuals (and for the sake of fairness, I'll include myself amongst them) who manage to find ways to persistently irritate or misdirect within threads.

I'm sure I'm not alone in being able to take a pretty good stab at why you've been restricted in this way... but I'm going to refrain from saying so, simply because I then fall into the very trap that normally leads to me getting a ban. If you think about it, in some ways you're being treated like an adult - you're given a chance to reflect on your output, and to be open-minded enough to imagine why it is that your method of communication might have provided  enough of an issue for this to happen. When I drop my ego, I figure it out and come back next time a little differently, and over time it happens less frequently to me.

Don't play the victim is my advice, and also hyperbole like the bolded section probably won't help much either.

12 hours ago, Line-X said:

Fair enough, humble apologies.

11 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Point taken.

• Like 1

Yeah, the communications are fairly rubbish and I got banned for essentially being bullied; but that's the power of numbers. Ban the 10 or so bullying me who were breaking the rules? Or just ban the victim who didn't break any rules? 1 ban is easier than 10 and these people have lives and jobs to do, so I completely get it. Path of least resistance and all that.

Better to just accept it as its obviously a privately owned forum and we're all essentially guests here so they owners/admin can do as they please and you don't really have a leg to stand on; they owe us literally nothing.

I have pointed out that it makes the 'forum rules and guidelines' a complete farce, since members can routinely flout them with zero comeback, whilst others will have posts deleted and receive bans which aren't in breach of the rules/guidelines.

Ultimately, you just have to accept that you're not in control and those that are in control will either like you or not like you, and fickle as they are, they have the power and the right to exercise it.

No one said it was fair and I doubt any of the admin are actually going to come out and pretend that its even meant to be fair. That's the point. You're expecting clarity or fairness, but they aren't obliged to give you that and you won't get it.

Also, anyone with any personality or opinion has had a ban at some point. The unbanned are essentially those that toe-the-line and have never had an original thought in their miserable existences. I know which group I'd rather be a part of.

TL;DR: Just suck it up, as you won't change it and they owe you nothing.

4 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

The unbanned are essentially those that toe-the-line and have never had an original thought in their miserable existences. I know which group I'd rather be a part of.

Cheers mate ...  thanks for that.  

• Haha 3

Just now, Countryfox said:

Cheers mate ...  thanks for that.  

Have you seriously never been banned?

Do you post in general chat? Pretty much all bans come from general chat and they are usually interesting conversations but where the admin feel that one particular view needs to be suppressed or threads are moving away from being echo chambers. The ideal here, you understand, is threads of complete consensus which just become ever-growing echo-chambers. I'm not entirely sure why that is sought, but it is.

You can essentially abuse anyone you like and break all forum rules and you won't be banned, but if someone 'reports' your post because they disagree with it, and that poster is one of the liked posters, then you'll be banned.

Just trust me, I've been through the cycle many many times and I've had many many DMs from others in exactly the same situation.

If you've never been banned, then you probably just generally agree with the popular consensus on everything, which is fine, but sometimes its interesting for others to challenge the narrative, even if they are playing devil's advocate. It can generate interesting debate. Its just a shame its frowned upon.

Think of it like a dinner party. I like to invite people with interesting views and varying areas of expertise to generate decent debate. My wife will generally discourage that and try to invite people who she thinks will broadly get on and agree. Both are fine, but are very different sorts of conversation and evening. Foxestalk is the latter. Those that conform to the majority forum held opinion, are fine, of course they will never be banned, they contribute to strengthening the agreed upon narrative and everyone can pat themselves on the back as definitely right (it sounds like you're in this group - enjoy it - nothing wrong with it). Those that disagree and might have valuable and interesting contributions aren't welcomed since they contribute toward conflict (conflict isn't always bad) and disagreement and debate. Mods/Admin panic when they see disagreement and so posts need to be deleted and people banned - is it easier to ban the 80% or the 20%. 

You're in the 80%. I'm in the 20% that says what I think and that sometimes goes against the grain and so I get banned. I know my place and I'm comfortable with it. I've suggested the place would be better without banning myself and others like me. It seems that generally the admin/owners and also probably the general posters here, disagree with that, so there we go. Why struggle?

Just now, Countryfox said:

No.

Super. Well done in fitting in/being friends with the admin/owner.

My wife has a dinner party invitation for you. I will be there though; so it might not be for you since there may be some opinion expressed, in amongst the pleasantries and nodding you'll be more accustomed to.

• Haha 1