Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

On 06/06/2023 at 08:48, CosbehFox said:

What are folk eyeing up next in terms of goals and race wise? 

I am considering entering the Rutland 10k at end of the month. I'd like to get my 10k times down. My watch reckons I have something to give when it comes to 5k and 10k. 

I also fancy tackling a long shuffle to 25k as well. 

My next half will be September - Lincoln is the 3rd or Northampton on 17th. I go holiday on 18th, so Nottingham isn't an option (24th). I like the idea of having the week in the sun to relax after 17th but do wonder if an early morning flight on 18th is going to help the legs and rest. Then I may do Leicester in a relaxed fashion - possibly even helping someone with their pace. 

I expect my weight training is going to be tougher over the next month, so it's going to be one of those periods where there's a lot of 'load'. 

I'm actually considering the Rutland 10k too - it's really flat which suits me down to a tee. Need to find a half at the start of September as part of training too.

A couple of us have signed up to do the Koln marathon - just figuring our what charity to do it for. Did the Hackney half a few weeks back (what an event that is by the way) and got a PB which i was really pleased with.

Biggest thing i've learnt in the last few months is to go slow. I used to just go out as quickly as i could it every session but now i do 2 really slow sessions a week which are just plods basically and one tempo session. Also signed myself up to a programme which is essentially strength for running, lots of one legged stuff, pogos, etc... and that's really helped. Oh and ice baths are a game changer although it's hard to get it cold enough at the moment. Have found this all really helps - as well as having a rice crispies square just before i run.

3 hours ago, Lionator said:

Fair play to him, we did Ben Nevis Tuesday morning at 6:30am as the first leg of our 3 peaks in 24 hour challenge and it took a lot out of me. I can't imagine doing the route with 100kg extra on my back, madness.

5 minutes ago, GLC said:

Started running 2 weeks ago, after signing up to do a sprint triathlon.

First mock attempt today went well.

my first aim to finish it in 90 mins, but smashed that today, with a time of 1:24:16.

so my new aim is to finish it in 1:15:00.

lost 25Kg since January, got to keep going. 

Managed a 25:20, 5K last week, so happy with my progress ☺️

Incredible effort mate.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

Finally finished couch to 5k after two years of trying. Got round parkrun in 33m 44s. Which I’m pretty pleased with, it’s hard work being a fat git and running. 

Well done! I know plenty of folk that run regularly who'd be well pleased with that

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

Finally finished couch to 5k after two years of trying. Got round parkrun in 33m 44s. Which I’m pretty pleased with, it’s hard work being a fat git and running. 

Well done.

My first parkrun was about 33 minutes, so very similar to yours. My PB is now 26 something. Not as quick as some on here, but I'm pleased with that. I didn't start running until after I turned 40.

Keep going at it, and the times will keep improving.

• Like 1

Hi All, not sure if this is the right place to put this. 
Im doing a 700K charity ride throughout July, raising money for Maggies Cancer Care. 

if anyone has any spare change they can throw my way, I’d be incredibly grateful ☺️

https://www.justgiving.com/page/stevepotter700k?utm_source=IG&fbclid=PAAaY1vbeeuxoItA6NwwxSDn6jW9_I5qb5KVldS-k3EByAUbp3Vt-cdqX84gE_aem_AZP5cl1Mx21kYhBnwDU99guvRDAc_e4ZXsl1LMfnDM_r99rtbH_vVEEGNvYvPZBNFeM

Or here if you prefer:

https://maggies.enthuse.com/pf/steve-potter/post/3659669

Looks like I was hitting too hard recently - basically had a migraine on Friday which gave me four days rest, ran last night and was a lot quicker as a result. 

About to enter Northampton Half. Next target is for 1:53 half - so 69 seconds to find from previous best. 

• 5 weeks later...

Better late than never. I didn't start properly until after breaking an ankle 2 years ago and was already in my 30s. Now I regularly clock 30 minutes and my PB is just under 28. 

The three things that made a difference

1 - skipping. When I started I could only do single hops and never more than 30 seconds max. Now I can switch the style and do sets of 2 minutes.

2 - treadmill/ sprints outdoors - when you get towards the end of a run or the last quarter of a mile just absolutely leg it until you reach that marker. But don't stop completely after, just slow right down. Apply that to a treadmill.

3 - go up hills and go steady. Then when you're back on flat you've improved. 

• Like 2

I used to run cross country when I was younger and now in my mid 30s have started again. Done couch to 5k and first 5k was ~27mins hoping to get down to 25 mins soon :) 

Plan to register for Grasmere Gallop next summer and run 10K trail run in the Lake District, fingers crossed! 

Increasing cardio fitness has really improved my performances at 6 a side too 😅 

Really loving running again so far, fair play to parkrun and the local organisers, great setup. 

Main thing holding me back/slowing my progress is shin splints, which I have never had before. Any advice from the more experienced? 

Edited by FoxesWalk

14 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

I used to run cross country when I was younger and now in my mid 30s have started again. Done couch to 5k and first 5k was ~27mins hoping to get down to 25 mins soon :) 

Plan to register for Grasmere Gallop next summer and run 10K trail run in the Lake District, fingers crossed! 

Increasing cardio fitness has really improved my performances at 6 a side too 😅 

Really loving running again so far, fair play to parkrun and the local organisers, great setup. 

Main thing holding me back/slowing my progress is shin splints, which I have never had before. Any advice from the more experienced? 

Massage the heck out of the sides of your shins and your calves, stretch your calves as if your life depended on it. Heel raises to strengthen the area generally.

I got them quite badly for my first couple of years running but nothing at all in the years since

• Thanks 1

On 11/06/2023 at 19:20, GLC said:

Started running 2 weeks ago, after signing up to do a sprint triathlon.

First mock attempt today went well.

my first aim to finish it in 90 mins, but smashed that today, with a time of 1:24:16.

so my new aim is to finish it in 1:15:00.

lost 25Kg since January, got to keep going. 

Managed a 25:20, 5K last week, so happy with my progress ☺️

Have you done the sprint yet and how did you do? 

I've signed up for one in Sept, my first in ten years. I'm 58 in Sept and forgot how much I enjoyed the mixed training for it. My best time was 1.13 back then but I'd be happy to just get round now but would secretly like to do sub 1.30.

Good luck if you haven't done it yet.

23 hours ago, stretch1965 said:

Have you done the sprint yet and how did you do? 

I've signed up for one in Sept, my first in ten years. I'm 58 in Sept and forgot how much I enjoyed the mixed training for it. My best time was 1.13 back then but I'd be happy to just get round now but would secretly like to do sub 1.30.

Good luck if you haven't done it yet.

It’s on Sunday. Been training hard for it. Hoping to finish it in under 1 hour 15

• Like 1

Dodgy shins got me a bit for the first few months of running. Just warm up loads. Lots of walking - I'd suggest a minimum 5 minutes walk, followed by gentle few minutes jog, before every run until you get used to it.

Key rule - if you get sore - STOP. Tightness and fatigue are fine but anything hurts, no shame in stopping and going home. I've done it a couple of times with my ankle and some cramp due to trying to compensate. 

Fun side note; I mentioned skipping previously.

About 12-18 months ago I could barely do 30 seconds single jumps and now I'm regularly doing a whole 20 minute workout based on 2 minute rounds of skipping, mixing up single jeg, boxer skip and even some double unders. It's worked wonders for my cardio.

I am building to my next half in mid-September. Aim to hit the 1:53 mark - training has been average but still a bit of time to go. 

Hitting sub 25 with regularity now to the point I am thinking do I try to ambitiously attempt a sub 24. 

Alongside weight/core training, I am fittest I've been if not the lightest. Scored a couple at 5-a-side last night that I'd have had no chance recently - flexibility etc.