Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Is football still good?

Is football still good?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the modern game?

• It's brilliant!
    • It's great but there's too much of it
    • Meh, not as good as it was
    • Slowly falling out of love with it
    • It's crap!

For the first time in my life I found myself disillusioned and uninterested in football. I've been a massive football fan all of my life but these past few years my enthusiasm for the game has lessened greatly for the following reasons.

1) There's simply too much of it. These nation league games are a prime example of this. The schedule that these players have is horrendous and is reflected in what I believe to be a decline in quality across the board (apart from Liverpool and Man city)

2) hate to be that guy but the money in football is ludicrous and shows no sign of steadying anytime soon. With the cost of living being as high as it is its obscene to see imo. Also don't like how the bigger and wealthier clubs are treated so preferably. 

3) Boring playing styles being coached by managers (mentioning no names). There's not many sides that genuinely try to play good, attractive football imo. Everything seems to be based around keeping the ball which in itself makes sense but without penetration its almost pointless.

4) Overrating of mediocre players. I might just be getting older and more grumpy but the way I see some players talked about nowadays baffles me. I'm gonna use an example that I'll get pelters for but Declan Rice! Not a bad player by any means but the hype is unbelievable for what he is!

5) VAR! Was all for it originally but it's been a farce

Maybe I've just been on a massive come down from our own glory years and I just need a break from it for a while 

• Like 4

Totally agree. Especially with points 3 and 5.

I would also add the continual rule changes and the media obsession with the big 6 are other reasons for me.

I can see myself switching 100% to watching Coalville in the next few seasons as I still enjoy the non league game as that is more like what football used to be.

• Like 2

Almost everybody says they're falling out of love with it at some point or other but nobody ever truly does. Somethings get worse every year but when it still provides games like Real Madrid vs Man City how could you not be in it's clutches still? There's always some joy, romance, disgust, schadenfreude, laughter to be found somewhere.

VAR is the worst thing but there's alway something to keep you hooked. If I didn't really follow a team closely I'd lose interest but last season took me to Moscow, Randers, Rome... and Wolverhampton for the first. Nothing else but football could do that for me.

• Like 3

Just now, Stadt said:

Almost everybody says they're falling out of love with it at some point or other but nobody ever truly does. Somethings get worse every year but when it still provides games like Real Madrid vs Man City how could you not be in it's clutches still? There's always some joy, romance, disgust, schadenfreude, laughter to be found somewhere.

VAR is the worst thing but there's alway something to keep you hooked. If I didn't really follow a team closely I'd lose interest but last season took me to Moscow, Randers, Rome... and Wolverhampton for the first. Nothing else but football could do that for me.

Yeah I never thought that'd be me. I feel like.things are a little flat around Leicester at the moment so maybe that's adding to it. And yes I know we're top half of the top flight but I'm not being entitled. One of my favourite ever seasons was our promotion to the Prem under Pearson. I kind of miss that hard to beat pest tag that we used to have 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

Yeah I never thought that'd be me. I feel like.things are a little flat around Leicester at the moment so maybe that's adding to it. And yes I know we're top half of the top flight but I'm not being entitled. One of my favourite ever seasons was our promotion to the Prem under Pearson. I kind of miss that hard to beat pest tag that we used to have 

Oh I totally agree

It probably helps I've paid no attention to the nations league

• Like 1

Just now, grobyfox1990 said:

Also contrarian to the above posts but I think the quality of football is unbeatable in the premier league. It gets tiring watching it sometimes, relentless levels of fitness. With Burnley and Dyche now gone this can only get better 

I think you're probably right that the quality is still right up there. The standards that Man City and Liverpool hit are unreal but even that just feels almost robotic and efficient. I rewatch The Premier league years on Sky sports sometimes and yes it might be nostalgia talking but football around the late 90's-early 2000's was bloody brilliant 

5 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I’m disinterested beyond belief 

As above, I yearn to feel how I did under the Pearson days. But life was simpler then 😂

Nowadays I’ll only go for the piss up. Or to sing, ‘Feed the scousers’ obviously 

It's such a cliché thing to say but I feel we had a real identity then. That's not to say we didn't stink places out sometimes under Pearson but I feel like we had a clear vision and recruited some great characters 

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

It's such a cliché thing to say but I feel we had a real identity then. That's not to say we didn't stink places out sometimes under Pearson but I feel like we had a clear vision and recruited some great characters 

It’s because we’re now part of a large group of ‘also rans’ 

I remember Mum saying when I was a kid that looking forward to something usually turns out being better than it actually happening. (I hope she wasn’t on about my Dad before anyone goes there)

It’s not quite true with LCFC but getting promoted was an obtainable dream always out of our grasp. Now we’ve achieved that, (and more) there’s nowhere for us to go. 

We complain about missing out on the CL football twice but then observe our squad isn’t big enough to cope with European football and to then compete in the league too at the same time. So what IS the point? 

5 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I think you're probably right that the quality is still right up there. The standards that Man City and Liverpool hit are unreal but even that just feels almost robotic and efficient. I rewatch The Premier league years on Sky sports sometimes and yes it might be nostalgia talking but football around the late 90's-early 2000's was bloody brilliant 

Yeh fair enough. Another unpopular view but I think pep and Man City are incredible, done wonders for improving standards in the league and that Liverpool v Man City game in April was one of the best games I’ve ever seen on tv in my life. We often think things are ‘the best’ when they correlate to the best times of our lives, maybe late 90s/early 2000s for you? I work with a millwall fan (has all his teeth, can read/write) who thinks football was the best in the late 70s. Nothing to do with the fact he was early 20s, no kids, pissed up and fighting every weekend with 20 mates… The clips  of games he shows me are truly dreadful 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yeh fair enough. Another unpopular view but I think pep and Man City are incredible, done wonders for improving standards in the league and that Liverpool v Man City game in April was one of the best games I’ve ever seen on tv in my life. We often think things are ‘the best’ when they correlate to the best times of our lives, maybe late 90s/early 2000s for you? I work with a millwall fan (has all his teeth, can read/write) who thinks football was the best in the late 70s. Nothing to do with the fact he was early 20s, no kids, pissed up and fighting every weekend with 20 mates… The clips  of games he shows me are truly dreadful 

Yeah I would imagine you're correct there. I mean obviously over the least decade we've been blessed to witness things we never thought possible as Leicester fans so these times have been the pinnacle. Maybe it is the feeling of 'what can we do now?' 

• Like 1

I don't watch any football apart from. Leicester these days really. I find it highly boring on tv. Can't stand England to the point of actively wanting them to lose which is a bit sad really.

I love City but think that's because I'm rooting for someone. 

• Like 2

I love watching and supporting Leicester, but I have absolutely zero interest in the Premier League title race between Liverpool and Man City, or who’s going to win the Champions League, or whatever. If we’re not involved, I don’t give the tiniest sh1t.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rain King said:

I don't watch any football apart from. Leicester these days really. I find it highly boring on tv. Can't stand England to the point of actively wanting them to lose which is a bit sad really.

I love City but think that's because I'm rooting for someone. 

Yeah can't stand watching Englamd which also saddens me. I used to be so patriotic when it came to the football but it also pisses me off when Harry Kane bags an 89th minute penalty to paper over the cracks yet again

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saxondale said:

I love watching and supporting Leicester, but I have absolutely zero interest in the Premier League title race between Liverpool and Man City, or who’s going to win the Champions League, or whatever. If we’re not involved, I don’t give the tiniest sh1t.

Have you always been like that though? I used to love watching the great Arsenal and Man United sides battling out for example. Now I don't think there are any real derbies, not that the players really care about anyway 

There’s certainly too much pro and specifically top level football but that will never change now. That said where it seems intent On going is more concerning than where it is.

I’ll Keep the non league im involved in as the focus for now but not sure how much longer that’ll go on for long for, after that probably looking at finishing off the 92.

Will keep the kids going down Leicester a few times a season as they enjoy it but also have their own things going on at the weekends so can’t commit to a season ticket.

6 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Have you always been like that though? I used to love watching the great Arsenal and Man United sides battling out for example. Now I don't think there are any real derbies, not that the players really care about anyway 

To be fair, yes. But I think the ‘super club’ phenomenon has made them even less appealing. 

• Like 1

Winning the league and fa cup completed me as a fan. Experienced it all in my life and given the way the modern game is seeing us win the epl again is well not going to happen.

Still love football but at times i think what's really in it for teams like us?  Cup games?

Winning a euro cup would be nice but feel thats passing us by real quick.

• Like 2

Really finding it less enjoyable each season. More cheating ,VAR dampening celebrations and killing momentum in games, a huge emphasis on risk averse football. Games are becoming less exciting and more annoying. I really don't want to tune into a game to watch two teams play slow labourious football and try and get 11 men within 30 yards of their goals every time they don't have posession. That's just as someone who watches the game on tv.

I lost interest in attending professional matches a couple of seasons into being at the Walkers. Being told by Stewards to sit down whilst standing at our back row seats, not being able to have a beer and swap ends to stand behind the goal we're attacking.

The concept of going to a game and having to sit in a chair seems weird as hell to me now.

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 2

I still enjoy watching the pick of PL games on TV and the CL games that involve the "big" clubs, Barca, Real, Inter, PSG, Bayern etc when they play our top teams.

It's maybe a bit off topic but what puts me off many PL games is the ever present inclusion of "pundits" during and after the match. Some are good and insightful but there's many others that are just loving the sound of their own voice (Sutton).

Edited by Parafox