Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Is football still good?

Is football still good?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the modern game?

• It's brilliant!
    • It's great but there's too much of it
    • Meh, not as good as it was
    • Slowly falling out of love with it
    • It's crap!

It’s dull. Well, the top flight is dull. If you aren’t playing scintillating football or have avoided relegation then what’s the point? The level of money and shady owners makes me sick too. 

Go down the leagues, things become interesting again. I enjoy my days out at Northampton and Kettering. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Go down the leagues, things become interesting again. I enjoy my days out at Northampton and Kettering. 

I quite enjoy going and watching lower league Scottish football.

The day out, the pie, the bovril, but mostly the opportunity to yell at the top of your voice, rather than, you know, the actual football...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

I quite enjoy going and watching lower league Scottish football.

The day out, the pie, the bovril, but mostly the opportunity to yell at the top of your voice, rather than, you know, the actual football...

I watched some deer having fun on the pitch at Lochinver - the fact that they didn’t have a ball didn’t detract from the enjoyment. 

12 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

When I was a kid I used to get excited watching a champions league match on ITV, some greats games over the years.

Now everything is stuck behind a money pay wall it feels less close than before.

If people cannot watch it, how can they get excited for it?

Iptv or some very reliable streams online. It as easy as switching the tv on 

3 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

For the first time in my life I found myself disillusioned and uninterested in football. I've been a massive football fan all of my life but these past few years my enthusiasm for the game has lessened greatly for the following reasons.

1) There's simply too much of it. These nation league games are a prime example of this. The schedule that these players have is horrendous and is reflected in what I believe to be a decline in quality across the board (apart from Liverpool and Man city)

2) hate to be that guy but the money in football is ludicrous and shows no sign of steadying anytime soon. With the cost of living being as high as it is its obscene to see imo. Also don't like how the bigger and wealthier clubs are treated so preferably. 

3) Boring playing styles being coached by managers (mentioning no names). There's not many sides that genuinely try to play good, attractive football imo. Everything seems to be based around keeping the ball which in itself makes sense but without penetration its almost pointless.

4) Overrating of mediocre players. I might just be getting older and more grumpy but the way I see some players talked about nowadays baffles me. I'm gonna use an example that I'll get pelters for but Declan Rice! Not a bad player by any means but the hype is unbelievable for what he is!

5) VAR! Was all for it originally but it's been a farce

Maybe I've just been on a massive come down from our own glory years and I just need a break from it for a while 

Why not get off your arse and do something costructive with your life rather than sitting in the stands watching a game you dont even like and then moaning on a forum about it.

Seriously why bother? Do something else. Play a sport instead of watching, drinking beer and moaning. 

Just now, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

Why not get off your arse and do something costructive with your life rather than sitting in the stands watching a game you dont even like and then moaning on a forum about it.

Seriously why bother? Do something else. Play a sport instead of watching, drinking beer and moaning. 

It's a game I've loved all of my life. This is a new feeling and not one I'm fond of. Also I've been living in Norfolk for a few years now so don't get to many games so maybe that feeling of disconnect doesn't help. Thanks for the constructive advice though :thumbup:

3 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I’m disinterested beyond belief 

As above, I yearn to feel how I did under the Pearson days. But life was simpler then 😂

Nowadays I’ll only go for the piss up. Or to sing, ‘Feed the scousers’ obviously 

You twat🤭😁

As a 51 year old who's had an ST for  half his life, this season  has been a chore at times.

I've no interest really in other competitions, didn't really care for the Euros and ain't really arsed about the World Cup.

I used to have the panini sticker books as a kid and followed every game in Italia and the Mexico World cups of the late 80s and early 90s and knew most of the players in each team(Nor personally obviously!)

Now I couldnt even tell you the top players worldwide or even recognise our own squad!

Maybe its football, maybe it age,maybe its abit of both or just crap footy...feck knows!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

It's a game I've loved all of my life. This is a new feeling and not one I'm fond of. Also I've been living in Norfolk for a few years now so don't get to many games so maybe that feeling of disconnect doesn't help. Thanks for the constructive advice though :thumbup:

I was talking to you harshly to give you a jolt. Sorry if it was too blunt.

I do believe youd get far far more out of doing something yourself that gives you a sense of accomplishment and pride rather than putting your happiness in the hands of people who dont care about you doing an activity that wont always entertain you.

I get disconnected from footy too. Im not the one kicking the ball. I dont make any difference to what goes on on the field. There are other things im good at  that give me far more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I’m disinterested beyond belief 

As above, I yearn to feel how I did under the Pearson days. But life was simpler then 😂

Nowadays I’ll only go for the piss up. Or to sing, ‘Feed the scousers’ obviously 

We really shouldn't sing "feed the scousers", because it seems to offend the little darlings, despite the charitable sentiment stated in the song.  We should sing The Macc lads version, "Feed your face". Change their words to the song though to "Feed your face, don't give the scousers a second thought".  That should go down really well with them.

Edited by smudger63

27 minutes ago, Corky said:

Yet now Mum isn’t doing the tea at home, she’s away at Zumba. The club cancelled cheesy peas and the subcontractor sells sausage rolls for a fiver - and Dad can’t get his £10 pint because the staff only manage to pour one an hour from the slops. 

Edited by Daggers

23 minutes ago, Raj said:

You twat🤭😁

As a 51 year old who's had an ST for  half his life, this season  has been a chore at times.

I've no interest really in other competitions, didn't really care for the Euros and ain't really arsed about the World Cup.

I used to have the panini sticker books as a kid and followed every game in Italia and the Mexico World cups of the late 80s and early 90s and knew most of the players in each team(Nor personally obviously!)

Now I couldnt even tell you the top players worldwide or even recognise our own squad!

Maybe its football, maybe it age,maybe its abit of both or just crap footy...feck knows!!!

And yet you’d still be able to name the Top 10 Supermodels. 🙄

4 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

For the first time in my life I found myself disillusioned and uninterested in football. I've been a massive football fan all of my life but these past few years my enthusiasm for the game has lessened greatly for the following reasons.

1) There's simply too much of it. These nation league games are a prime example of this. The schedule that these players have is horrendous and is reflected in what I believe to be a decline in quality across the board (apart from Liverpool and Man city)

2) hate to be that guy but the money in football is ludicrous and shows no sign of steadying anytime soon. With the cost of living being as high as it is its obscene to see imo. Also don't like how the bigger and wealthier clubs are treated so preferably. 

3) Boring playing styles being coached by managers (mentioning no names). There's not many sides that genuinely try to play good, attractive football imo. Everything seems to be based around keeping the ball which in itself makes sense but without penetration its almost pointless.

4) Overrating of mediocre players. I might just be getting older and more grumpy but the way I see some players talked about nowadays baffles me. I'm gonna use an example that I'll get pelters for but Declan Rice! Not a bad player by any means but the hype is unbelievable for what he is!

5) VAR! Was all for it originally but it's been a farce

Maybe I've just been on a massive come down from our own glory years and I just need a break from it for a while 

Totally agree with all of them mate 

Since it became another way for billionaires to exorcise their soft power it's just become a bit shit. The fact that Newcastle are now owned by the Saudi regime is the nadir for me. It's appalling that they were able to flash their blood money and they're now a major player. 

It is a cliché but the game really has been taken away from the people - the football itself is now just a bi-product of this massive corporate behemoth. I'm obviously not advocating hooliganism (far from it) but the game is so sanitised now - it just lacks any kind of atmosphere because the product and therefore profit is all that matters. The fact that in the present we even have to have a trial 'singing section' is an absolute indictment.

I've been going to watch Northampton Town. There's just more of an atmosphere, more of an honesty at that level. It helps that the players are relatable because they're not bazillionaires. Clubs down the pyramid haven't lost their identity in the same way although they no doubt would give it up tomorrow for significant investment.

Edited by Tielemans63
  • Like 2

The quality is better than it ever has been and some of the recent years' Champions League and World Cup games have been superb entertainment. There's still nothing I'd rather do really than watch a football game of an evening. 

But top flight English football has become incredibly soulless and predictable. Thank Christ we support Leicester. 

Technically it’s a better game. I’d even say our team now could beat Arsenals unbeatable team. 

But, it’s lost a lot of character, it’s become Americanised. But it’s not alone, most of the popular sports are having every drop squeezed out of them. The games on the verge of collapse in my opinion, too much money too and many games.

I mean, my favourite team of all time will always be the MON years, just pure banter. Footie at 3pm pissed up by 3am. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Technically it’s a better game. I’d even say our team now could beat Arsenals unbeatable team. 

But, it’s lost a lot of character, it’s become Americanised. But it’s not alone, most of the popular sports are having every drop squeezed out of them. The games on the verge of collapse in my opinion, too much money too and many games.

I mean, my favourite team of all time will always be the MON years, just pure banter. Footie at 3pm pissed up by 3am. 

Slight amendment.. footie at 3pm, pissed up by 6pm

:D

• Sad 1