Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Is football still good?

Is football still good?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the modern game?

• It's brilliant!
    • It's great but there's too much of it
    • Meh, not as good as it was
    • Slowly falling out of love with it
    • It's crap!

Yeah I’m barely interested at all atm for lots of reasons. Real life hasn’t been great this year which has put things in perspective and made it difficult for football to be an ‘escape’.

Also Leicester have been reallly uninspiring to say the least. It seems really entitled or spoiled to say, but given that we still have BR after that defeat to Forest as well as the 16 months now if piss poor performances, it feels like we as a club have zero footballing ambition for the first time in a long time. The ‘match day experience’ is everything that I hate about modern football.

Looking at the bigger picture as well, all these big games that seem to be the same match ups every year are completely uninspiring. And every super club is so unlikeable. Why would I want to watch Liverpool vs Barca or Chelsea vs PSG or United vs Spurs? It’s not a 1-2 times a decade event any more because they’re all so far ahead of the Ajax’s and Celtic’s of the world. And I have no soft spot for any of them. They can all go toss each other off as much as they like in their closed shop.

By that I mean the money they have stops them from going anywhere and it’s boring. Look at United. They haven’t achieved anything for ages, but they are keeping up because of the money they bring in. It’s not even like they’re being bankrolled by a sugar daddy. They’re too big to fall away and it shouldn’t be like that.

• Like 3

The only matches I don't miss (unless I absolutely can't avoid it) are Leicester games. Otherwise I feel I am content to just check scores now and then.

I don't have the enthusiasm to sit through a whole Super Sunday/Monday Night Football anymore especially when it's all greedy six sh***.

Will tune in to some, not arsed with the others.

I've always wondered what play offs for the final Champions League spot would be like and whether it would bring some of the excitement of the promotion pushes of yesteryear. Knowing that clubs like us, West Ham and Wolves could have something to play for later in the season. Don't think the cartel at the top would entertain it though

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Daggers said:

It’s dull. Well, the top flight is dull. If you aren’t playing scintillating football or have avoided relegation then what’s the point? The level of money and shady owners makes me sick too. 

Go down the leagues, things become interesting again. I enjoy my days out at Northampton and Kettering. 

I went to see Peterborough a couple of times last season. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

A bit of mud on the pitch.

Old, traditional ground.

decent atmosphere, without goal music !

The Premier League is such a sanitised product, almost a clone…..from the pre match handshake to the tiresome on pitch interviews. It’s eating itself.

However, I have BT/Sky. Am l part of the ‘problem ?’

• Like 1

Of course it is.

We have this every year or every couple of months but the same people moan and still watch it.

I will always love football.

The only one poor thing is that the Premier League has far to much money and I'd rather the league be more open.

Personally for me last season had some of my most stressful yet also enjoyable games for a long time

Community Shield (some may say it “doesn’t count” but this is the only trophy I have been able to see us lift in person since League One)

Liverpool at home

A European tour which included seeing Leicester play at a stadium I have wanted to go to for years (Napoli - less said about the journey the better), the absolute stress and then euphoria at Rennes away

With plenty of our games being on Sundays we also started going to see other teams - Burton, Coalville, Shepshed

Will always be parts of football that really annoy me, but I will always love it and it keeps pulling me in to watch even more football*

*except England, cba with Nations League crap

Football is thriving still but at 38 years old, I don't have the same passion for it as I did in my teens and 20s.

My season ticket is renewed again but there'll be a time when I stop, probably when my Dad doesn't want to go anymore.

Football is fine, it just doesn't buzz me like it used to.

----

The above will probably be total boswollocks when pre-season starts and Elyounnoussi signs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not watched one minute of this wank international rubbish and loving the break from the game completely. 

Only renewed season ticket through habit and the fact its a day with the old man if i'm honest. 

Edited by Lako42
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Not watched one minute of this wank international rubbish and loving the break from the game completely. 

Only renewed season ticket through habit and the fact its a day with the old man if i'm honest. 

I always like a break of a couple months in the summer.

But tomorrow will be an exciting day and then I'll be up for it again. Can't beat it.

I haven't watched any of this Nations League rubbish though.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

it's be less interesting since we won the league, with a blip when we won the FA cup. Fvck me, Leicester won the league and the FA cup within a few years. Crazy

Yeah i feel like Del Boy when he finally became a millionaire. Feels like we've not got much to strive for anymore 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

For the first time in my life I found myself disillusioned and uninterested in football. I've been a massive football fan all of my life but these past few years my enthusiasm for the game has lessened greatly for the following reasons.

1) There's simply too much of it. These nation league games are a prime example of this. The schedule that these players have is horrendous and is reflected in what I believe to be a decline in quality across the board (apart from Liverpool and Man city)

2) hate to be that guy but the money in football is ludicrous and shows no sign of steadying anytime soon. With the cost of living being as high as it is its obscene to see imo. Also don't like how the bigger and wealthier clubs are treated so preferably. 

3) Boring playing styles being coached by managers (mentioning no names). There's not many sides that genuinely try to play good, attractive football imo. Everything seems to be based around keeping the ball which in itself makes sense but without penetration its almost pointless.

4) Overrating of mediocre players. I might just be getting older and more grumpy but the way I see some players talked about nowadays baffles me. I'm gonna use an example that I'll get pelters for but Declan Rice! Not a bad player by any means but the hype is unbelievable for what he is!

5) VAR! Was all for it originally but it's been a farce

Maybe I've just been on a massive come down from our own glory years and I just need a break from it for a while 

1) fair point this.  I'm sure many of us can't summon up any energy to get even remotely excited by the Nation's League, and that includes the players.  Less is sometimes more.  

2) I never understand this argument.  It's a business like it or not and they exist to make money.  In fact it's one of the few industries where working class blokes can actually extract value from big business for what they provide and I never begrudge a player extracting maximum value from a club in return for providing entertainment/value back to the club.  Want to talk about obscene let's talk about billionaires who do nothing but accumulate more wealth, bankers who make fortunes gambling other people's money or energy companies profiteering when old folks can't afford to stick the heating on.  This isn't a football issue it's a societal issue.   

3) there's plenty of exciting teams to watch imo just not Leicester 😂

4) agree with this but it's just societal again isn't it.  The over hyping of every bloody thing on social media and in the media.  It's irritating in the extreme but it's not the players fault of course.  

5) there's so many duff VAR decisions we may as well be rid of it and let the game flow.  I was for it as well but we seem to get as many poor decisions now as before so why bother.  

Just my t'uppence worth.  The Doctor prescribes a two month break from all football and new manager for the foxes! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GlenParvaFox said:

Football is thriving still but at 38 years old, I don't have the same passion for it as I did in my teens and 20s.

My season ticket is renewed again but there'll be a time when I stop, probably when my Dad doesn't want to go anymore.

Football is fine, it just doesn't buzz me like it used to.

----

The above will probably be total boswollocks when pre-season starts and Elyounnoussi signs.

I've become more Leicester only focused. At one time I would want to watch any match going.  An older guy I worked with years ago said to me as you get older you won't want to spend all your time and money going to matches. I could not have imagined this but as time went on it became true. 

Generally, I won't watch anything that isn't City. Major finals or decisive Premier League matches I might dip into, but if it's a shite game I'll usually turn off. 

International football should genuinely be binned outside of the major tournaments. It's world-class dross 95% of the time. International breaks should be used to give players an actual break, not pointless friendlies that nobody gives two fvcks about, not least the players. 

I can't believe we're still playing meaningless Nation's League games in mid-June when pre-season starts early because of a disgrace of a winter World Cup. Next season is going to be an absolute shit-show. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Generally, I won't watch anything that isn't City. Major finals I might dip into, but if it's a shite game I'll usually turn off. 

International football should genuinely be binned outside of the major tournaments. It's world-class dross 95% of the time. International breaks should be used to give players an actual break, not watch pointless friendlies that nobody gives two fvcks about. 

I can't believe we're still playing meaningless Nation's League games in mid-June when pre-season starts early because of a disgrace of a winter World Cup. Next season is going to be an absolute shit-show. 

International football should be played alongside the league, as the do in rugby/cricket, we should have one major break in the summer for recouperation.

Only watch Leicester and rare that I'll watch anything else unless it's a game such as Liverpool v Man City where you can guarantee that both teams are actually going out to win the game and it could go either way. 

Must admit that I've even started to find going down to the King Power as more of a chore than something to look forward. Had a season ticket for over 20 years now so feels like renewal is more of habit than anything else. 

Part of it is that since starting to help with coaching kids football, it's made me appreciate the sport more from a pure football side. Kids just want to play the game and win, lose or draw, so long as they have tried their best, they go away with a smile on their faces because they get praise from us and their parents. It strips away all the bullsh*t that comes with professional football and just takes it back to the purest form of the game. 

I'd say that I'm not falling out of love with football but more I'm falling out of love with the sideshow that accompanies the professional side of the game. Diving, cheating, moaning, fans arguing over standing / atmosphere, VAR..... as a package, professional football needs to get it's head out of it's arse and just get back to basics. 

4 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

This is it

Now what?

Theres nothing to play for 

European Trophy.

Not sure how you can just give up after winning the league.

It'll probably never happen again (winning the league I mean) but winning the FA Cup / League Cup and, hopefully one day, European Cup can still happen and is my aim for us when we go into the season.

I still get the same buzz every Saturday knowing I'm going to a game.

Edited by Fox92

12 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

European Trophy.

Not sure how you can just give up after winning the league.

It'll probably never happen again (winning the league I mean) but winning the FA Cup / League Cup and, hopefully one day, European Cup can still happen and is my aim for us when we go into the season.

I still get the same buzz every Saturday knowing I'm going to a game.

Fair play to you. I’m so unenthusiastic and it’s not even down to the current manager

We’ll never win the Europa I don’t think. The transition from being a team that can compete in Europe but also compete in the league to hey Europe again the following season is just too great imo 

7 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Generally, I won't watch anything that isn't City. Major finals or decisive Premier League matches I might dip into, but if it's a shite game I'll usually turn off. 

International football should genuinely be binned outside of the major tournaments. It's world-class dross 95% of the time. International breaks should be used to give players an actual break, not pointless friendlies that nobody gives two fvcks about, not least the players. 

Luckily it seems next season won’t be too affected. Yes it’ll start a week earlier and end a week later, but two meaningless international breaks (October and November) are removed saving 4 weeks. So that’s 6 weeks made up, which is the entirety of this useless fifa commercial friendly supercup in the dessert 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/06/2022 at 18:37, SemperEadem said:

I watch a lot less than I did.

VAR killed a big proportion of my love for the game.

This for me. think of all the great moments to have happened over the years, that would have lost their spontaneous joy because of something that they’d be checking. 

I barely watch any games as a neutral these days. In years gone by I would never miss a big game on Sky Sports but I don’t really care for it anymore. I think social media has a lot to answer for. I’m bored to tears of wall-to-wall Man United coverage, stupid transfer fees and players now earning half a ****ing million a week, whilst we get slapped with more expensive tickets and merch. 

It’s mad because as much as there is to dislike about “modern football”, it has yielded Leicester’s best ever period and I’m still going off it. I still had a great time in Europe and at Wembley last season, so it has its moments. If it wasn’t for our recent days out, I’d probably be almost completely bored with it. Imagine being a Southampton fan. 

• Like 1