Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
21st Century Fox

Luke Thomas

2 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Strong revisionism here.

I'm sorry, what?

I've been pretty consistent in my view on Thomas, that's he's nothing but a steady eddy. 

Chilwell was genuiely sensational at times, but by his own admission went through large dips. Thomas hasn't got close to the quality Chilwell showed for good chunks. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Not true.  Have a look back at some of the Chilwell threads when he was Lukes age.

Chilwell spent a whole summer developing his physicality and that pushed him to another level.

Yes it is true. 

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'm sorry, what?

I've been pretty consistent in my view on Thomas, that's he's nothing but a steady eddy. 

Chilwell was genuiely sensational at times, but by his own admission went through large dips. Thomas hasn't got close to the quality Chilwell showed for good chunks. 

Chilwell was never 'genuinely sensational' for us. That's a laughable suggestion.

Chilwell had his arse handed to him every time he played against a good side with a decent right winger. 

Edited by Chocolate Teapot
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Luke Thomas at 21 has done much more than Chilwell had at that age

Luke Thomas has just turned 21, 61 appearances and an FA Cup winners medal (the Final of which he was brilliant in)

Chilwell at the time he had turned 21 had made about 20 appearances for us, was right at the start of his career, and had just been too scared to take a throw in vs Millwall

Yeah and he's looked absolutely bang average in about 58 of those appearances. Where are Chilwell genuinely looked like a top class talent in the making. 

Just now, Chocolate Teapot said:

Chilwell was never 'genuinely sensational' for us. That's a laughable suggestion.

The first half of his last season for us he was our best player. Then dropped off a cliff second half of the season. 

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Chilwell had his arse handed to him every time he played against a good side with a decent right winger. 

What like Thomas who seems to get hooked at half time more than a player generally should be. 

Babs is correct here. Thomas has been nothing more than a steady Eddy. Chilwell at City could be really poor, but you could always see (if you actually bothered to look) that he was going to become a superb attacking left back.

That’s why Chelsea signed him.

• Like 2

Didn’t said original article also state West Ham need to sell first. Doesn’t make a lot of sense for the club to sell, don’t need to list in 25 man squad and a player that will be happier to rotate. 

Defensively much better than Chilwell defensively at same age. Going forward Chilwell was better and I assume in the modern game more desirable, but Chilwell wasn’t ahead in his development  

Edited by Lesta Legend

I just don’t think he’s quick enough to ever reach what we need as a fb. It’s not like he has an added physicality to make up for it like someone like Tomiyasu.  

I would absolutely love it if he could become our number 1 but the football side of my brain does question if he would ever become a top player. 

He’ll have a good career, but he’s not one that will be pushing for an england call up imo 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Babs is correct here. Thomas has been nothing more than a steady Eddy. Chilwell at City could be really poor, but you could always see (if you actually bothered to look) that he was going to become a superb attacking left back.

I don't want to overdue it on Thomas, he's been ALRIGHT considering the circumstances, his age and constant changes in the back line. But I've not really been wowed by him, like I have been with Chilwell (when his form hadn't gone off a cliff) and Justin, who frankly before the injury was even pissing all over what Chilwell had done for us.

He's effectively our back up left back, if we HAVE to sell, then I'd rather it be a backup left back than Maddison or Barnes. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

For a young lad who only had his 21st birthday about a month ago, to be considered a 'steady Eddie' in the Premiership is quite an achievement! What do people reasonably expect?

Add to that at times the lack of protection he had in front of him in an otherwise fragile leaking defence, I think some of the finger pointing should be equally pointed elsewhere. That includes the manager and his coaching staff who for week upon week upon week seemingly did very little to address the situation. It's their job to have some input and not just crave more players that can do it on their own.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The first half of his last season for us he was our best player. Then dropped off a cliff second half of the season. 

In which universe was this?

The same one where Ricardo was the best right back in the league and vardy was banging them in for fun?

He was the worst player in that side.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Babylon said:

What like Thomas who seems to get hooked at half time more than a player generally should be. 

Hes been hooked twice against Arsenal? Can't remember anything else.

Chilwell wasn't playing at his age. This is a genuinely baffling opinion. Has Thomas hit on your missus or something?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Happened 3 times in 20/21 and 0 times last season

1 time vs Fulham to change system

1 time vs Wolves to protect him against Adama Traore who was going to be coming on (although I guess you probably think we should have just left the 19 year old to try and deal with Traore who mugs off most defenders)

1 time vs Arsenal

• Haha 1

We all want Thomas to be amazing because he's homegrown but the fact is, he's our 3rd choice left back and isn't going to progress whilst in that position.

At this stage of his career and where we are, if a good offer was made, it makes sense for everyone to let him go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Strong revisionism here.

He really hasn't, it's rare I agree with Babs recently but Chillwell looked far more promising in his time at Leicester than Thomas has done. Unfortunately Thomas is lacking that physical power at the minute which would help make him stand out.

Chillwell became very frustrating with the way he would effortlessly carry the ball 50 yards up the pitch and then turn around to pass the ball backwards, but it's becoming more and more clear that it's Rodgers that wanted him doing that.

A loan where he's guaranteed to start week in week out would be absolutely ideal to be honest. Players getting the odd game here and there will only hinder development. If we could get £20-25 million for him I'd be open to selling. if a team wanted him on loan with a view to him being a regular I'd also be open to that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good defender, much like a typical left back before the modern day wing back became the in thing. Only problem with him is when he gets the ball past the half way line, he looks like he shits himself. Hopefully he can build his confidence in the attacking third or will be a championship player at best.