Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

2 hours ago, Bilo said:

Being reflective about it, this could be as transformative as that day at Watford. It hurt like hell at the time, could have knocked the stuffing out of the squad completely and I remember there being threads on here tipping us for relegation the following season. 

As it turned out, lessons were learned. The team finally grew the backbone it needed and learned how to win ugly, we were never in danger of bottling it and went up with a decent squad. The rest is history.

Look at the Fulham squad that went down a couple of years ago and you'll see a gutless, overpaid rabble of mercenaries who took the club for a ride. One reset later and they went up, and stayed up, very comfortably  Burnley will probably do the same. Of course there are exceptions like Sunderland, Wolves and Stoke that we need to avoid but this club has learned from disaster before. It's crucial we do it again. 

I don’t see it like that at all.

When we lost to Watford, the club were building something. We had a the nucleus of a good squad, a good manager. We were moving upwards. 
Following relegation yesterday, we are on a downward trajectory. We aren’t building a squad, it’s being almost completely dismantled. The club could just as easily really struggle next season, as do well.

I see them as totally different situations.

The 1 bit of comfort I can find is in the fact that championship teams get the proper goalie kit on fifa games now

At least as a fan of a championship football club I can still have an immersive experience on FIFA24 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Sly said:

We’ve the highest wage bill of any team ever relegated from the league. 

another record smashed! still making history as we freefall into the second tier 

3 hours ago, FoxOfMelton said:

Anyone else think back to back relegations is a real possibility?

It won't be easy next season and I can't see us doing a Burnley.....although I can't at this point see a successive relegation from the Championship. I guess it largely depends on who our manager is going to be me thinks....as I'm assuming we won't know until the dust settles a bit. Whether it's Smith to be kept on with Shakey, or somebody else they need to be installed asap and get to work for what is going to obviously be a demanding season next at a different level.

As another poster said the three teams who went up last season have stayed up (mostly by virute of the bottom three, us included having been atrocious!) and we've got Leeds and Southampton with us again this time who like us will be both keen to erase the memories of this season asap - and none of us have been yo yo teams in recent seasons. Then there's all your Championship potboliers (your Millwalls, Prestons, Blackburns, Cardiffs, Birminghams and Stokes) to do battle with plus teams with momentum who will ultra keen to do well and not just consolidate, like Plymouth and Ipswich.  I can't see relegation but at the same time I can't see us bouncing back in the automatics either. 

Trying to find silver linings or anything to get me over this period, anything to help me find that belief. 

The last 2 years remind me so much of the final few seasons before we finally got relegated to the 3rd tier, everything was doom and gloom then, the lowest point in our history. 

In hindsight, being relegated to league 1 was the best thing that has ever happened to this club, it gave us the chance to hit the reset button where we had previously been treading water with players who were not earning their wage and were not playing for the badge. 

This is an opportunity to hit the reset button once more and start to build the foundations again, if we were to go down it’s probably happened at one of the best times in the last few years, we have 8 players on big money out of contract, if we had stayed up we would likely be trying to extend some of these contracts in order to maintain some stability, and would likely find ourselves struggling again next season when Evans gets injured again. 

We have been peeling off the plaster for months now, and relegation has finally ripped it off, this club has given me nothing to believe in them but I’m still optimistic given the core squad we have left over and the financial wage burden becoming much, much lighter. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Trying to find silver linings or anything to get me over this period, anything to help me find that belief. 

The last 2 years remind me so much of the final few seasons before we finally got relegated to the 3rd tier, everything was doom and gloom then, the lowest point in our history. 

In hindsight, being relegated to league 1 was the best thing that has ever happened to this club, it gave us the chance to hit the reset button where we had previously been treading water with players who were not earning their wage and were not playing for the badge. 

This is an opportunity to hit the reset button once more and start to build the foundations again, if we were to go down it’s probably happened at one of the best times in the last few years, we have 8 players on big money out of contract, if we had stayed up we would likely be trying to extend some of these contracts in order to maintain some stability, and would likely find ourselves struggling again next season when Evans gets injured again. 

We have been peeling off the plaster for months now, and relegation has finally ripped it off, this club has given me nothing to believe in them but I’m still optimistic given the core squad we have left over and the financial wage burden becoming much, much lighter. 

Agree. I had convinced myself it would be easier to rebuild in the PL but i kind of agree that we would have likely extended contracts of players like Evans and maybe done something stupid like hold on to Madders kicking and screaming. This has forced our hand in a brutal way. But i have to have faith that those in the club will learn from this and rebuild smartly. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Agree. I had convinced myself it would be easier to rebuild in the PL but i kind of agree that we would have likely extended contracts of players like Evans and maybe done something stupid like hold on to Madders kicking and screaming. This has forced our hand in a brutal way. But i have to have faith that those in the club will learn from this and rebuild smartly. 

Exactly, we were snowballing to relegation anyway, and although a rebuild may be slightly easier as a premier league club in terms of being able to attract players, that comes with the risk of flops being far more expensive, at a time where our finances are in a mess. 

obviously I’d rather be in the premier league, but I don’t think it’s the end of the world getting relegated and can definitely see some promise of fully resetting rather than trying to scramble a team together next season at massive expense again. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Samilktray said:

The 1 bit of comfort I can find is in the fact that championship teams get the proper goalie kit on fifa games now

At least as a fan of a championship football club I can still have an immersive experience on FIFA24 

🤣🤣 wonder what are budget will be

Time for the powers that be to earn their money, does the high tech computer system that they were bragging about a few years back still exist, do we have a scouting system anymore,  have the club got the balls to sign players like Mahrez and Fuchs again or will they just do what everyone else does and sign overpaid names.

we should clap for 9 wins in a whole season 👍👍 lose loads of points in the last 5 minutes, get knocked out by championship opponents in the cup 2 years in a row. 

enough is enough .

#TopOut

#RudkinOut

Just now, RonnieTodger said:

Lineker chatting absolute bollocks on MOTD.

Why does nobody in the media realise that Rodgers didn’t want to be here. 

Lineker's not exactly known for his deep club knowledge or football analysis.

His and the MOTD pundits' club anaylises just serve us as a reminder that if we want deeper and more accurate knowledge, we need to look elsewhere.

At best they can give a marginally more useful tactical analysis of a football game than the average football fan, but everything else should be taken as entertainment rather than enlightenment.

2 minutes ago, shen said:

Lineker's not exactly known for his deep club knowledge or football analysis.

His and the MOTD pundits' club anaylises just serve us as a reminder that if we want deeper and more accurate knowledge, we need to look elsewhere.

At best they can give a marginally more useful tactical analysis of a football game than the average football fan, but everything else should be taken as entertainment rather than enlightenment.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to produce the verbal equivalent of an Athletic long read between highlights packages but it is frustrating that he is basically our only high profile supporter in the media and uses that position to almost exclusively talk bollocks. He more than most has earned the right to do so of course.

9 minutes ago, Guest said:

I don't think anyone is expecting him to produce the verbal equivalent of an Athletic long read between highlights packages but it is frustrating that he is basically our only high profile supporter in the media and uses that position to almost exclusively talk bollocks. He more than most has earned the right to do so of course.

True, but then you have Carragher who seems far more knowledgeable than Lineker which as a viewer already gives me greater confidence in his opinion/insight. At least he gets his facts quite straight and pays attention to trends.

But as an aside, I actually think the case of Leicester is far more complex and obscure to anyone that only scratches the surface. Even on FoxesTalk blame is being apportioned practically everywhere. To Rodgers, Rudkin/the board, Top, the players, coaches/training, recruitment, financial circumstances etc. So even for someone with lots of insight, it would be difficult to say anything meaningful in a highlights show.

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

Lineker chatting absolute bollocks on MOTD.

Why does nobody in the media realise that Rodgers didn’t want to be here. 

I just watch the show for the highlights to be fair, not really for what the various pundits and Lineker have to say thereafter - although Shearer does at least talk some sense on there! Amazed that Lineker was still banging the "maybe they should have kept Brendan until the end of the season" drum (to save us from relegation), when BR was the one who created this eventual mess in the first place - scary!!

14 minutes ago, Guy said:

I just watch the show for the highlights to be fair, not really for what the various pundits and Lineker have to say thereafter - although Shearer does at least talk some sense on there! Amazed that Lineker was still banging the "maybe they should have kept Brendan until the end of the season" drum (to save us from relegation), when BR was the one who created this eventual mess in the first place - scary!!

Yeah I knew he’d come out with the “if you’d offered me” perspective nonsense. 

The Rodgers comment really annoyed me though. It just pushes the narrative that it wasn’t his fault and absolves him of blame.

There are millions that still think we were wrong for sacking Ranieri lol 

• Like 1