Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

53 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Yeah I knew he’d come out with the “if you’d offered me” perspective nonsense. 

The Rodgers comment really annoyed me though. It just pushes the narrative that it wasn’t his fault and absolves him of blame.

There are millions that still think we were wrong for sacking Ranieri lol 

Wow! When I said sacking Ranieri when Vichai/Top decided to was the only thing that was likely to save us from going down one year exactly after winning the league, I got pelters from various people I know on my Facebook - but it was kind of proven of course with our sudden turn around under Shakey' stemp. charge thereafter (even if that didn't carry into the following season) and the more dynamic style was back after Ranieri had lost the plot and was playing a more defensively minded impotent style of football instead once Kante had gone instead, to no avail! I think it was after the goaless draw with Middlesbrough just into the New Year in 2017, one of my mates exclaimed in a text to me "how did that team (us) win the league last season?!". I agreed with him!

Fast forward to this/last season then it was a pity Top didn't act at the same time as they did with Ranieri in 2017 (in the February) but I suppose we'd just had those two unexpected back to back wins at the time over Villa and Spurs and were still in the FA Cup, all to provide yet another false dawn and for that sadly to have justified keeping Rodgers on for longer. After Sourthampton away though early the following month then that should have been the final straw, not a month later effectively against Palace away! I know Nacho missed those three sitters at St Mary's but that was more a reflection on how the whole team had played that day (and of course conceded the decisive goal). Others say it was the slow appointment of Smith and Shakey (too little too late), that sent us down re Sadler and Stowell being in charge for those two defeats to Villa and Bournemouth but I think the main damage was done after the said Southampton away game and yet still persevering with BR for another damaging whole month.....! Makes Lineker's opinions on Sunday night all the more absurd now really when saying what he said!

7 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

On the bright side, at least I can get rid of sky sports now, not that we were really on it until there was a something newsworthy, ie getting relegated. Are championship games streamed?

Keep Sky , Get rid of BT

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

In a way I wish we had kept the ****ing dickhead and he had have taken us down, like to see the orange, white teeth egotistical **** smarm his way out of that one.

Absolute willy puller scumbagging **** shit, hate him nearly as much as Taylor. He set us back to about 10 years ago. Even if we go up we will always no be behind the likes of Forest and whoever else is up there already, it's a calamity. 

I was glad to see the back of Rodgers too, to put it politely - but it was just way too late! I suppose most fans of a certain vintage here still don't hold Rodgers in as lower regard as they did with P.Taylor 20 or so years previously simply because of the fortuitous FA Cup triumph and the two 5th place finishes (albeit falling from top 4 grace on both final days of each successive season from seemingly impossible positions to do so - especially the first time!). Then again P.Taylor, though largely despised by most who were about during that era wasn't on £10million (?) a season or holding the club to ransom at any point if you like, even though some despised his incompetent management overall and after his shipping out some of our stars (as they spoke out or he didn't like them).....such as Ian Marshall, Tony Cottee, Stan Collymore, Steve Walsh and Steve Guppy - and replacing them with the likes of Lee Marshall, Akinbiyi, Trevor Benjamin, Denis Wise.....and Junior Lewis, urgh!! 

Edited by Guy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

It is ridiculously selective use of data for Lineker to claim Bournemouth, West Ham and Forest keeping their managers as evidence Leicester should have done the same.

So those 3 clubs stood by their managers and stayed up.....well, Everton, Palace, Wolves and Villa all looked threatened by relegation at different stages. They all changed their manager and they all stayed up, too. Villa even qualified for Europe.

Also, Bournemouth DIDN'T stand by their manager. Their manager at the start of the season was Scott Parker, who was sacked early on after a series of shambolic defeats - accompanied by the manager publicly criticising the club for its lack of investment. Maybe there's a different lesson we could draw from that.

Looking at the 3 who went down, too, maybe the real lesson is that if you're going to change manager, you need to make the right appointment (which Southampton arguably failed to do twice) and not leave it too late (which Leeds and ourselves did).

Lineker is entitled to his view that we should've kept Rodgers. But quoting slanted information about other clubs does not make a good case. Unless he feels that Rodgers' previous achievements meant he was entitled to lead us to relegation, he needs to say what gives him confidence that Rodgers could have turned things round. Aside from a handful of good performances, Rodgers was presiding over a season of often shambolic performances by a team that seemed to lack self-belief and/or character. This was accompanied by some distinctly odd team selections (Ward, Soyuncu) and by frequent snide griping about the calibre of the squad at his disposal. It's true that there had been downgrades (Schmeichel, Fofana) but in terms of footballing ability we had a squad that I'd rate as about the 9th best in the PL - capable of competing with Fulham and Brentford, if well managed, surely?

Why does Lineker feel that we'd have fared better if we'd kept Rodgers? Because of performances during his first two years here? Because we should be grateful for his past achievements and therefore just accept relegation? When he left, we were in the relegation zone after an appalling run featuring performances that simply didn't suggest the players believed they could turn things round. That matters more than past achievements and certainly more than slanted bullshit about other clubs.

Past achievements do justify some leeway, so I wouldn't say he should have gone last season after the Forest FAC defeat or whatever, although last season rang major alarm bells given our decline (8th position was a false position achieved through individual performances, maybe causing complacency). But the combination of poor results, shambolic under-performance and snide, sulky public comments by Rodgers should've seen him gone last autumn.

It's also ignoring the direction that the managers were taking their clubs. Steve Cooper took over a mid table championship side, had a great run of performances including an FA cup run where they tonked us and got into and won the playoffs against all odds. In the PL Forest reuglarly picked up enough results so that they had a respectable chance of survival. Realistically without Cooper Forest would still be in the championship, he was overacheiving. 

Rodgers on the other hand hand had been in charge of an established PL club for 3 years and by the time he left we were a side that no longer had any fight to stay in this league. With even a moderately competent manager we would have comfortably survived relegation this season, Rodgers was underacheiving.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foxxed said:

Schlupp is a Premier League player

Gray is a Premier League player

Leicester City is a Championship club

Rudkin will probably keep his job

We are an amazing club

KDH is a Championship Player

Justin is a Championship Player

Luton Town are a Premier League Club.

Outstanding leadership from the hierarchy:appl:

On 30/05/2023 at 16:03, Number 6 said:

Seen the Ranieri comments coming around again with people saying they're glad we're down because of this. What they fail to realise is sacking him prevented tainting his legacy with a relegation. Look at Rodgers, won us an FA cup but now mostly despised. We spared Claudio that.

Edit: not that I think Claudio would have been hated had he taken us down. But is certainly prevented any negative being attached to his time with us.

Saw some Arsenal fans also glad we are down because Vardy rejected them in 2016. He'll regret it now apparently lol

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Stinky said:

Saw some Arsenal fans also glad we are down because Vardy rejected them in 2016. He'll regret it now apparently lol

He'd have probably ended up a bench warmer there had he gone to them in 2016....

On 28/05/2023 at 21:28, foxfanazer said:

I never wanna see the phrase 'We're too good to go down" used on this forum ever again. The complacency around this club and the fanbase has been a disgrace 

It's already started with neutrals telling me we'll piss the Championship. What do we have to do to be acknowledged as shit? I think I preferred being called shit when we weren't.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's already started with neutrals telling me we'll piss the Championship. What do we have to do to be acknowledged as shit? I think I preferred being called shit when we weren't.

Nothing beats the blind optimism of the football fan. 

I would love it to be true but, there is so much sh*t to address you wouldn’t bank on it. I think we need to see who the manager is and what preseason looks like before getting too excited.

On 29/05/2023 at 01:16, KFS said:

It’s obvious the complacency has leaked into the fanbase 

What's the opposite to believing your own hype? We've bought into the "get back in your place" narrative. It's absolutely insane to me.

• Like 2

On 30/05/2023 at 21:59, Foxin_Mad said:

In a way I wish we had kept the ****ing dickhead and he had have taken us down, like to see the orange, white teeth egotistical **** smarm his way out of that one.

Absolute willy puller scumbagging **** shit, hate him nearly as much as Taylor. He set us back to about 10 years ago. Even if we go up we will always no be behind the likes of Forest and whoever else is up there already, it's a calamity. 

When a millionaire loses his money, it doesn't take him as long to regain it should he learn from his mistakes. Just because it took us 10 years or more to get where we are. Brighton have been in the premiership 6 years, Brentford 2 years,Fulham finished 10th in there first season up. Where did we finish last year? 8th, I think it takes us 4 years to get back where we were, not 5th but challenging for European places like Brentford nearly are. Had we not got relegated as the squad hadn't naturally evolved, we'd probably have struggled again next season anyway.

Edited by Beachyboy