Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sir Shep

Villa - Postponed

3 hours ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

Yes but I can also imagine cretins booing  and singing during the silence and national anthem ( especially Liverpool fans ) So it's probably saved us international embarrassment.

That’s true, I imagine pretty much every other club would have respected anything such as a silence and national anthem but Liverpool fans like the attention and to be seen as ‘edgy’ so would no doubt have acted in a disrespectful and controversial way. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think football will do a proper send off next weekend 

a minutes silence for the queen and a rendition of god save the king to follow 

the only issue would be games in the capital and i don’t think our game at spurs would be a problem. The Sunday could be more challenging with Brentford v arsenal and Chelsea v liverpool both in west London. I wonder if laying in state will be over by Sunday which will no doubt take a lot of police resources re security concerns.  

needs adding to the matchday song-sheet, not many will know the words and it'll be sung too fast...

55 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think football will do a proper send off next weekend 

a minutes silence for the queen and a rendition of god save the king to follow 

the only issue would be games in the capital and i don’t think our game at spurs would be a problem. The Sunday could be more challenging with Brentford v arsenal and Chelsea v liverpool both in west London. I wonder if laying in state will be over by Sunday which will no doubt take a lot of police resources re security concerns.  

Next weekend is probably more of a logistical and security issue. The anticipated schedule has Sunday as the last day of lying in state. So tens of thousands of people in London for that. Plus hundreds of dignitaries arriving for the funeral. Not sure the police will have resources for football too.  

7 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Next weekend is probably more of a logistical and security issue. The anticipated schedule has Sunday as the last day of lying in state. So tens of thousands of people in London for that. Plus hundreds of dignitaries arriving for the funeral. Not sure the police will have resources for football too.  

I can see the Sunday London games being postponed then.  I guess they may see Brentford arsenal  as manageable but Chelsea liverpool is not a love in by any stretch of the imagination 

4 hours ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

Yes but I can also imagine cretins booing  and singing during the silence and national anthem ( especially Liverpool fans ) So it's probably saved us international embarrassment.

I see what you are saying - yet we all have the the right to protest.  This should not be supressed.

19 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

City are not hopeful of next weekend being on. The Met are apparently asking that they need to prepare for the funeral 

4 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I see what you are saying - yet we all have the the right to protest.  This should not be supressed.

Sky and premier league etc don't want protests at the games as it tarnishes their brands. So yes, we all have the right to protest but we dont always get the choice of when and where....rightly or wrongly.

Cynics who look for ulterior motives for the cancellation will see today that the eyes of the nation are on other things. 

Now is not the time for large public events and a short time for the nation to pause brings us together in a different way. 

Edited by Mr Weller 2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Actually, I would argue that there are some occasions where you shouldn’t have the right to protest. These extremely limited of course. 

Try writing laws on those without them having loopholes and being abused by people in power though…

We should always have the right to protest regardless of the occasion. Anything else is how you start slowly wearing away the checks and balances that hold up the frailty of democracy as those in power gradually start moving the goalposts about what is acceptable in a way that’s imperceptible to the average person .

It’s exactly the kind of things that Gaius Marius did in the Roman Republic which set the stage for Caesar having the power to abolish democracy to turn it into the Roman Empire

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rossiter said:

Sky and premier league etc don't want protests at the games as it tarnishes their brands. So yes, we all have the right to protest but we dont always get the choice of when and where....rightly or wrongly.

actually - I don't want to protest... but these organisations should not feel that they have to quash protests.  I suspect they are all hoping for gongs

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Try writing laws on those without them having loopholes and being abused by people in power though…

We should always have the right to protest regardless of the occasion. Anything else is how you start slowly wearing away the checks and balances that hold up the frailty of democracy as those in power gradually start moving the protests about what is acceptable. It’s exactly the kind of things that Gaius Marius did in the Roman Republic which led to Caesar having the power to abolish democracy to turn it into the Roman Empire

Ok Bamber

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

We should always have the right to protest regardless of the occasion. Anything else is how you start slowly wearing away the checks and balances of democracy as those in power gradually start moving the protests about what is acceptable 

there are some countries where you cannot deface the flag - yet here in UK we would see that as a legitimate form of protest.  The high ups in sports bodies should simple say that supporters have the right to express their views... 

In this situation i think that the news content generated from most football crowds showing respect for the royal family would have been a boost to their relevance across the whole world.  This postponement is a massive over reaction

2 minutes ago, Sampson said:

We should always have the right to protest regardless of the occasion. Anything else is how you start slowly wearing away the checks and balances of democracy as those in power gradually start moving the protests about what is acceptable 

I get the slippery slope argument 

15 hours ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

It is a wholly appropriate and respectful decision and people are perfectly capable of surviving a weekend without football. It’s too soon for celebrations of her life; that will come later. 

Some on here are really crass and cynical. Show some respect please.

.. when other sporting events are still taking place, is football the only one showing respect or are the arbiters of this sport driven by some other purpose!!!

Why berate someone who sees this uneven public decision that flies in the face of perhaps half of the country's wishes. Have Rugby got it right, and it is a fitting opportunity to show an appreciation of what she has done or has football sought to take the higher ground.

Personally I believed games should have been played, a minutes silence would have taken place, and people who would not normally have made an effort to acknowledge her achievements would have had a communal experience, that could have touched their lives, even for that short moment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Incredible, amazing witty comeback! I must remember that one and use it in the future! You destroyed me so badly!

Cheer up - I for one enjoyed putting our forum debate into a classic context demonstrating errors from the past from which we can learn.  Please continue such contributions

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Not footie, no boxing. Hard week at work and plans cancelled. At least I feel miserable now, which is what they want lol

Happy enforced mourning day everybody!

Except it's not 'enforced mourning' is it. You can do what you want (except go to football 😆).