Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sir Shep

Villa - Postponed

The Queen's funeral is set to break centuries of royal tradition as it will take place at Westminster Abbey - following a period of national mourning. The funeral, which is expected to take place on Monday, September 19, is being held for a British monarch at Westminster Abbey for the first time since George II in 1760.

52 minutes ago, Corky said:

Very unlikely that will be played, I doubt any other significant events in London will take place.

I reckon no football games will take place anywhere next weekend, not only London. If some games go on next weekend just before the funeral it will make the decision to postpone this weekend's fixtures look more ridiculous than it currently is. 

1 hour ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

I reckon no football games will take place anywhere next weekend, not only London. If some games go on next weekend just before the funeral it will make the decision to postpone this weekend's fixtures look more ridiculous than it currently is. 

The funeral is ceremonial and religious 

Next weekend is more than a week since her death 

no need for any ‘mark of respect’ next weekend 

policing in the capital could be a problem 

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

Why should I be allowed to do other things but not travel to the football though? Please explain to me and help me understand.

Why can I go to watch a movie, a rugby game, go for a curry. Yet I can't go and watch a football match?

They have to rush through the mourning period and instant succession of Charles to avoid any kind of discussion that we should have the choice to become a republic.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

Why should I be allowed to do other things but not travel to the football though? Please explain to me and help me understand.

Why can I go to watch a movie, a rugby game, go for a curry. Yet I can't go and watch a football match?

Because football fans are uncouth , rough and have no respect for anything...

Thats why they mark us out for special treatment.

The wealthy elite in this country hate the ordinary working class and see us as savages.

Rugby, cricket, golf and racing - four sports seen as "civilised" and definitely perceived as "middle class" go on this weekend (clearly no respect there then)

but we are fine to go to work and earn money for the elite but simply cannot be trusted to go to a match!

This really should remind people that this country is still in the hands of the connected posh and we the plebs are expected to do as we're told and keep quiet.

Edited by J. James
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

If the funeral is a Monday I really do think the games should be played a day or two before it no problem.

I think it’s more to do with the preparations and the days prior when she lies in state.

You would like to think they will do something to ensure the fixtures go ahead, whether that is reversing the fixtures or moving them to Friday night.

36 minutes ago, J. James said:

The wealthy elite in this country hate the ordinary working class and see us as savages.

Rugby, cricket, golf and racing - four sports seen as "civilised" and definitely perceived as "middle class" go on this weekend (clearly no respect there then)

but we are fine to go to work and earn money for the elite but simply cannot be trusted to go to a match!

This really should remind people that this country is still in the hands of the connected posh and we the plebs are expected to do as we're told and keep quiet.

Couldn’t have put it better myself.

And so what if there are a couple of boos or groans during the national anthem? We are supposed to be a modern, liberal democracy… is dissent not permitted? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I don't understand why we have to have minutes silences at football or at any sport.  Can't we just pay our respects in our own way?

Probably end up being clapping if they cannot trust  fans to be quiet for a minute.

Maybe they are hoping delaying the tributes will mean less media attention if there are a few idiots .

Or as you say will they bother at all ?

1 hour ago, J. James said:

Those Eton chaps have never forgiven the working class for appropriating football.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I don't understand why we have to have minutes silences at football or at any sport.  Can't we just pay our respects in our own way?

WHAT!.. NO!

you will pay your respects as and when you are told and in the prescribed manner!

Now shut up and be mourny.

18 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

It's certainly become much more prevalent I can't recall it happening at all during the 60/70s or if it did it had little or no impact on me.

5 hours ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

Of course in the real world, the tiny noisy minority ALWAYS gets the attention. this is not about booing a team or manager, that is everyday stuff. Booing the national anthem gets international recognition especially this weekend after the Queen has died. You really underestimate the world media attention on our royal family and believe me if the games had gone on and scum like Liverpool fans had booed the national anthem and ignored the silence it would have hit the headlines and the republicans among us would have been rubbing their hands.

That's still no reason to stop hundreds of thousands of other people from enjoying their day at the football, let alone children across the country from playing recreational games.

If we're at the stage where purely hypothetical scenarios like the one you describe are dictating the policy of football's governing bodies, then it's a truly pathetic spectacle.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

That's still no reason to stop hundreds of thousands of other people from enjoying their day at the football, let alone children across the country from playing recreational games.

If we're at the stage where purely hypothetical scenarios like the one you describe are dictating the policy of football's governing bodies, then it's a truly pathetic spectacle.

Ok, ask yourself what position the new prince of Wales ( William and Villa fan ) holds in football. then ask yourself why Rugby, cricket, and horseracing all went ahead. Hypothetical?  I think not.

• Like 1