Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AjcW

England pre world cup squad - Today 2pm

3 hours ago, Nalis said:

The England teams of the 90s up to 2006 are massively overrated.

Replays of Euro 96 were on during covid and the quality was very poor.

Did you actually watch Euro 96? As in, at the time?

If you think England were ‘poor’ during that tournament, you must think this current team is utterly shite.

The atmosphere in the country for Euro 96 was sensational.

Miles away from how we perceive this country lot under Southgate 

Edited by Col city fan

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

If you think England were ‘poor’ during that tournament, you must think this current team is utterly shite.

Right.

However, that doesn't change that the game in terms of quality of play in general has massively jumped in the last 25 years.

I will always look back at the Euro 96 team with fondness but in terms of actual standard, there's not really a comparison between them and the international sides today.

Edited by leicsmac

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Right.

However, that doesn't change that the game in terms of quality of play in general has massively jumped in the last 25 years.

I will always look back at the Euro 96 team with fondness but in terms of actual standard, there's not really a comparison between them and the international sides today.

Yet it was a damn sight more interesting and entertaining to watch.

I know which i would choose!

• Like 1

Just now, leicsmac said:

And I would agree, but I would know that's the subjective rose-tinted spectacles and memories talking, not objective judgement of the quality of the game.

I watch football to be entertained.

It was a much better standard of entertainment in those days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

8 minutes ago, kenny said:

I watch football to be entertained.

It was a much better standard of entertainment in those days.

I think it was down to more drama in every England game which created the memories bar the first match.

2 - 0 v Scotland with the penalty save followed by Gazza's goal, which was brilliant to be fair. Decent win v Netherlands, the first penalty shoot out win v Spain but in an otherwise forgettable match. Germany semi final was full of drama too.

I admit I was quite young and wasnt living in England at the time though the atmosphere looked good in the stands.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

And peoples viewpoint of entertainment is, of course, subjective.

I still can't figure how Mrs Browns Boys gets such high ratings, for instance.

Fair enough.

Though I am less convinced by your arguments in GC if you are entertained by Leicester and England currently!!

8 minutes ago, kenny said:

Fair enough.

Though I am less convinced by your arguments in GC if you are entertained by Leicester and England currently!!

Oh, make no mistake, I'm really not. Entertaining in the blackest of comedy ways only.

However, I think it is an objective fact that the game overall is much faster and of higher technical quality than it was 25 years ago.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Oh, make no mistake, I'm really not. Entertaining in the blackest of comedy ways only.

However, I think it is an objective fact that the game overall is much faster and of higher technical quality than it was 25 years ago.

When the players are not throwing themselves to the ground or the match is interrupted by VAR or there aren't 30 needless passes to retain possession.

Just doesn't thrill me.

17 minutes ago, kenny said:

When the players are not throwing themselves to the ground or the match is interrupted by VAR or there aren't 30 needless passes to retain possession.

Just doesn't thrill me.

For me todays football is over coached and far too much scrutiny and emphasis is placed on numerous stats. Back in 96 and that era you got the impression that play was more spontaneous within the systems and that players were given more license to express themselves. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vlad the Fox said:

For me todays football is over coached and far too much scrutiny and emphasis is placed on numerous stats. Back in 96 and that era you got the impression that play was more spontaneous within the systems and that players were given more license to express themselves. 

Very similar to women's international football. The quality isn't there, but the application and spontaneity is.

The women's game may eventually carve a niche by being simply more fun to watch than the men's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

And I would agree, but I would know that's the subjective rose-tinted spectacles and memories talking, not objective judgement of the quality of the game.

We did struggle in 3 of the games  but obviously everyone remembers the best ones.

Taking the Netherlands apart and really should have won v Germany .

A couple of positives - Mount didn’t get his usual free pass into the line up and Foden manned up and called out Kane’s greed.

Overall seemed to have a lot of the game in their half but pointlessly over cautious passes, excessive touches, no drive, it’s the tepid bland fest that mirrors the managers personality. You just know he’ll be criticising Grealish for trying to dribble through in the 96th minute but won’t be questioning why so many of the passing options taken in the 90 mins were the easy ineffective ones that don’t lay a glove on the opposition. 

And Dier is still a clumsy oaf who concedes far too many fouls unnecessarily, another liability on the team sheet.

26 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Would the FA look overseas for a replacement when the time comes or will the media and fan reaction from some dictate there has been to an English man in the job?

The latter would greatly reduce our options.

If Potter has a half decent stint at chelsea fans and media alike will be calling for him. 

30 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

My memory of Euro '96 was that England were dog bob apart from 20 minutes Vs Scotland and the game Vs Netherlands. Terrible against the Swiss, lucky against Spain. Scored early against Germany and then did nothing until the second period of extra time. Misplaced nostalgia warps people's memories.

Correct, was a very tournament on the whole as well. Just like 1990. 

1994, that was goals, just England weren’t there 

• Like 1