Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Greatest England Player

In My lifetime, Gascoigne was the one player that you felt could genuinely change the game. Had you on the edge of your seat and had the ability to do the sublime and ridiculous. 

We all know he has been a troubled soul with many demons, but as a footballer, in his pomp, a true world class player. 

We haven't had a player like that since. 

• Like 1

Even as a reasonably young lad, I'd say Bobby Charlton - I can't think of a single player who sustained very good performances for England over such a long period. We'd have done better in 62 if he was played more at that tournament. 

Lineker deserves more credit than he's given - 10 WC goals in 12 WC games 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Even as a reasonably young lad, I'd say Bobby Charlton - I can't think of a single player who sustained very good performances for England over such a long period. We'd have done better in 62 if he was played more at that tournament. 

Lineker deserves more credit than he's given - 10 WC goals in 12 WC games 

Lucky enough to have seen Bobby Charlton play and agree with you. Good point regarding Lineker too. I think he down plays his prowess by saying he was a scorer of taps in. 

Gazza was amazing in his day, however technically I do wonder how the likes of Grealish, Foden etc stack up in terms of ability. 

We have some serious, serious quality within England and it’s largely downplayed. 

We could win this. 

We could be watching our golden generation. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sly said:

Gazza was amazing in his day, however technically I do wonder how the likes of Grealish, Foden etc stack up in terms of ability. 

We have some serious, serious quality within England and it’s largely downplayed. 

We could win this. 

We could be watching our golden generation. 

Always a good omen to start talking of "golden generations"  :whistle:

On 18/11/2022 at 17:45, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

It's not as simple as that though, is it.

We never know what would have happened if things had been different. For all anyone knows someone else would have scored more goals. Maybe they wouldn't. Perhaps England wouldn't have reached the final. Or maybe extra time in the final wouldn't even have been needed. You can't just subtract his goals to see what would have happened without him. The way it worked out he's the England player who had the most success, but would many say he was England's greatest player? Who at the time would have said he was even the best striker in the squad?

What would of happened if fans choice..Jimmy Greaves played instead of Hunt..

We just don’t know,the whole England game would have ran a different course..

I reckon such questions,just run over large loose  cobble stones…

B.Charlton..,Peters, B.Moore,Rooney,B.Robson…players that go even further back

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Germanys equaliser was handball so equals itself out. :D 

In all the years since I was there, at Wembley, in 1966, I've never heard of a handball being cited as a reason for disallowing one of the German goals.

I'll have to look through my video to see if what you state has any validity, but, given the fluidity of what counts as handball and the absolute nature of 'did it cross the line or didn't it?' I don't consider the one equals out the other - if, indeed, it was handball.

BTW I was cheering for England that day. My Dad ruefully said that the only way England could win was on their own ground with a goal that didn't even get over the line. You can guess whose side he was on.

5 minutes ago, gerblod said:

In all the years since I was there, at Wembley, in 1966, I've never heard of a handball being cited as a reason for disallowing one of the German goals.

I'll have to look through my video to see if what you state has any validity, but, given the fluidity of what counts as handball and the absolute nature of 'did it cross the line or didn't it?' I don't consider the one equals out the other - if, indeed, it was handball.

BTW I was cheering for England that day. My Dad ruefully said that the only way England could win was on their own ground with a goal that didn't even get over the line. You can guess whose side he was on.

If you look at Banks after they score he runs off to the ref tapping his Wrist. Also I remember seeing a private video (in colour) from behind the goal which did look like there was an argument to be had but I can’t seem to find this clip anywhere now or remember the tv programme that’s suggested it was handball.

However my comment was slightly tongue in cheek as I’m surprised more hasn’t been made of it if it was handball. Maybe If we lost there would have been.

Gordon banks took a training session when I was on holiday as a kid once, wish I’d known about it back then as I would have asked him. 

1 minute ago, Vlad the Fox said:

If you look at Banks after they score he runs off to the ref tapping his Wrist. Also I remember seeing a private video (in colour) from behind the goal which did look like there was an argument to be had but I can’t seem to find this clip anywhere now or remember the tv programme that’s suggested it was handball.

However my comment was slightly tongue in cheek as I’m surprised more hasn’t been made of it if it was handball. Maybe If we lost there would have been.

Gordon banks took a training session when I was on holiday as a kid once, wish I’d known about it back then as I would have asked him. 

"The ball deflected across the England six-yard box, wrong-footing the England defence and allowing Weber to level the score at 2–2 and force the match into extra time.

Banks protested that the ball had struck Schnellinger on the arm, and reiterated the claim in his 2002 autobiography, but replays showed that it actually struck Schnellinger on the back."

Plus, had it hit Schnellinger on the wrist, would that have been deliberate or accidental handball? The rules surrounding handball have always been fluid, to say the least.

And given any player's insistence on finding any reason to get a goal disallowed, much as I admired Banksy, he would be the last person I'd conclude was a reliable witness in a judicial review.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gerblod said:

"The ball deflected across the England six-yard box, wrong-footing the England defence and allowing Weber to level the score at 2–2 and force the match into extra time.

Banks protested that the ball had struck Schnellinger on the arm, and reiterated the claim in his 2002 autobiography, but replays showed that it actually struck Schnellinger on the back."

Plus, had it hit Schnellinger on the wrist, would that have been deliberate or accidental handball? The rules surrounding handball have always been fluid, to say the least.

And given any player's insistence on finding any reason to get a goal disallowed, much as I admired Banksy, he would be the last person I'd conclude was a reliable witness in a judicial review.

Thanks, guess banks would have told me it was handball then if I had asked him (mid 80s). However I’d love to see the video again now having read that, just to see if it’s as clear as that piece makes out.

7 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Thanks, guess banks would have told me it was handball then if I had asked him (mid 80s). However I’d love to see the video again now having read that, just to see if it’s as clear as that piece makes out.

I reckon a DVD off eBay wouldn't cost more than a couple of quid.

Incidentally, I was about halfway up, behind the mid-goal to lhs goalpost (my view) in the German end. Curly fair-haired teenager next to a middle-aged balding German and thirty-something dark-haired lantern-jawed Englishman. I'm sure you won't spot me 😁.

Truth is, I don't recall much of the game at all 😕.

8 minutes ago, gerblod said:

I reckon a DVD off eBay wouldn't cost more than a couple of quid.

Incidentally, I was about halfway up, behind the mid-goal to lhs goalpost (my view) in the German end. Curly fair-haired teenager next to a middle-aged balding German and thirty-something dark-haired lantern-jawed Englishman. I'm sure you won't spot me 😁.

Truth is, I don't recall much of the game at all 😕.

lol 

At least you can say you were there. 

My dad said he nearly smashed the tv when that equaliser went in, jumped in the air and kicked his leg out and then watched in horror as his shoe flew off his foot towards the tv. Thankfully it just missed. 

I bought the house off him about 14 years ago, had him round the night it was confirmed we won the league. At the final whistle I said “well you e watched us win the World Cup and City the premier league in this house now” he looked emotional and just nodded.

• Like 1