Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Free Falling Foxes

Spooky happenings you experience.

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Sounds like sleep paralysis/night terrors to me. I’ve never had one but my mum does all the time and it’s similar to this, although she gets absolutely terrified.

It could be mate, I've no idea. It was 18 years ago and hadn't happened to me before or since - a total one off.

I like my theory of an angel watching over the wife as she's pregnant.

It's total bollocks but comforting at the same time :)

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

I always have skeptical about supernatural, spiritualism and these kinds of things.   As a teenager I even visited a graveyard on midnight of Halloween with a friend to see if we can find a ghost.   

I do not think I would be applying for Ghost busters any time soon although I have two young boys now so that may change soon!

I've never had an experience either other than that one the other night. 

To the point that I used to live next door to one of the largest open cemeteries in Europe, opened in the mid 1800s and would walk my dog there every single night in the pitch dark and the only thing I was ever worried about running into was junkies or a group of kids drinking. 

suppose it's not that spooky but I was having an out building built in my garden, and an electrical pipe did not show up on the company's monitors whilst they were drilling foundations into the ground. The man drilling when he pulled up the drill looked down and realised that where he had drilled into was 3 centimetres away from an electrical pipe which would have killed him had he hit it (this also caused a gas leak which was not fun). The spooky part is that often I have walked up towards the building and seen a figure inside when it is dark just walking around. I've always wondered why that happened when he didn't die but it is odd and other people including my family have seen the man as well. 

Amazingly, there's a property in the county where LOADS of people have had supposedly paranormal experiences which as far as I can tell has absolutely no internet footprint in terms of being associated with this sort of thing, unlike places like Belgrave Hall and the Guildhall.

I've heard some of the stories passed on through others but also direct from people who've had experiences there and whilst I do not believe in ghosts for a second, I do find listening to people recounting things that completely freak them out enormously entertaining and however sceptical I am cannot help getting a bit carried away by it all.

I've been in the property in question and although nothing weird happened it's a truly unappealing place - old, poorly maintained, unsympathetically extended and repeatedly repurposed over its long history, a mixture of imposing spaces and horrible, cramped disorientating corridors - basically spooky as. Is it haunted? Is it bollocks. But you only need one person to hear something odd, think they've seen something, then tell someone else and the seed is sown. Bear in mind this place, despite being pretty big, often only had a few people working in it at a time, and the added bonus that the work could involve having to go into that building at any time of day including the dead of night, there were myriad opportunities for people to wind themselves up something proper and let their imagination run away with itself. If you're stressed enough all sorts of stuff happens in your head and in fairness I think all the people I spoke to about this thought there would be a rational explanation for their experiences rather than thinking they were being bothered by ghosts.

It's been repurposed again in the time since the people I know worked there, and assuming the new occupants haven't heard the stories I wonder how they feel about the place? Possibly nothing at all.

Would I spend the night there? No Sir, I would not. Being in it when there wasn't anybody else there in daytime was enough, thank you

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

It could be mate, I've no idea. It was 18 years ago and hadn't happened to me before or since - a total one off.

I like my theory of an angel watching over the wife as she's pregnant.

It's total bollocks but comforting at the same time :)

It’s a bit weird if it’s a one off but can definitely happen. I watched a horror film documentary (The Nightmare) about it a while ago and it’s terrifying.

For anyone interested in this, from a believer or sceptic point of view, I can’t recommend the Uncanny podcast enough. It’s also been a 3 part TV show where they do experiments to prove/disprove opinions like I’ve posted about and it’s fascinating.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Scotch said:

I've never had an experience either other than that one the other night. 

To the point that I used to live next door to one of the largest open cemeteries in Europe, opened in the mid 1800s and would walk my dog there every single night in the pitch dark and the only thing I was ever worried about running into was junkies or a group of kids drinking. 

Yeah.   Just to clarify,  I was not slagging you or your kid for that matter,  I just find it amazing that there are a significant polarisation of opinions from people who have seen ghosts to those who have not including me who have tried to seek them out.   I think Bovril posted something similar below too.

Edited by The Blur
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Amazingly, there's a property in the county where LOADS of people have had supposedly paranormal experiences which as far as I can tell has absolutely no internet footprint in terms of being associated with this sort of thing, unlike places like Belgrave Hall and the Guildhall.

I've heard some of the stories passed on through others but also direct from people who've had experiences there and whilst I do not believe in ghosts for a second, I do find listening to people recounting things that completely freak them out enormously entertaining and however sceptical I am cannot help getting a bit carried away by it all.

I've been in the property in question and although nothing weird happened it's a truly unappealing place - old, poorly maintained, unsympathetically extended and repeatedly repurposed over its long history, a mixture of imposing spaces and horrible, cramped disorientating corridors - basically spooky as. Is it haunted? Is it bollocks. But you only need one person to hear something odd, think they've seen something, then tell someone else and the seed is sown. Bear in mind this place, despite being pretty big, often only had a few people working in it at a time, and the added bonus that the work could involve having to go into that building at any time of day including the dead of night, there were myriad opportunities for people to wind themselves up something proper and let their imagination run away with itself. If you're stressed enough all sorts of stuff happens in your head and in fairness I think all the people I spoke to about this thought there would be a rational explanation for their experiences rather than thinking they were being bothered by ghosts.

It's been repurposed again in the time since the people I know worked there, and assuming the new occupants haven't heard the stories I wonder how they feel about the place? Possibly nothing at all.

Would I spend the night there? No Sir, I would not. Being in it when there wasn't anybody else there in daytime was enough, thank you

Old, poorly maintained, cramped disorientating corridors. An unappealing place filled with the walking dead. We're talking about The City Ground aren't we?

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

Yeah.   Just to clarify,  I was not slagging you or your kid for that matter,  I just find it amazing that there are a significant polarisation of opinions from people who have seen ghosts to those who have not including me who have tried to seek them out.   I think Bovril posted something similar below too.

Oh, yeah. I didn't for one second take your comment as a dig. I got what you meant by it and agree with you. 

• Thanks 1

Years ago I used to do a job at an old vicarage that had been turned into offices I was told a story once from before I worked there of the staff coming to work one morning finding all the lights on and doors unlocked, they rang the cleaners to find out if they had anything to do with and they’d said the place is haunted and something seriously freaked them out enough for them to flee the place. They refused to ever go back and gave up their jobs. 

While was there we employed some new cleaners, I never told them this story but one day they asked me if the place was haunted, (I’m sceptic by the way) I told them there were stories but had never seen anything myself, they said they thought it was but it didn’t really phase them. 

There was a third floor to the building which was rarely used which you’d have to go up a dark staircase to and for some reason you always got the fear if you ever had to go up there, I’d imagine just your mind playing tricks but my mate felt the same.

The only thing that did happen to me though was one night turned out all the office lights and locked the doors starting from top to bottom. When I switched the hall light off to go out the front door I noticed a light from upstairs, went back up to check and one of the offices lights was on and the door open. Convinced myself that I must have missed it but at the back of my mind I’m certain I had as I went through the same routine every night.

Wooooooh 

1 hour ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Years ago I used to do a job at an old vicarage that had been turned into offices I was told a story once from before I worked there of the staff coming to work one morning finding all the lights on and doors unlocked, they rang the cleaners to find out if they had anything to do with and they’d said the place is haunted and something seriously freaked them out enough for them to flee the place. They refused to ever go back and gave up their jobs. 

While was there we employed some new cleaners, I never told them this story but one day they asked me if the place was haunted, (I’m sceptic by the way) I told them there were stories but had never seen anything myself, they said they thought it was but it didn’t really phase them. 

There was a third floor to the building which was rarely used which you’d have to go up a dark staircase to and for some reason you always got the fear if you ever had to go up there, I’d imagine just your mind playing tricks but my mate felt the same.

The only thing that did happen to me though was one night turned out all the office lights and locked the doors starting from top to bottom. When I switched the hall light off to go out the front door I noticed a light from upstairs, went back up to check and one of the offices lights was on and the door open. Convinced myself that I must have missed it but at the back of my mind I’m certain I had as I went through the same routine every night.

Wooooooh 

One thing that Uncanny mentions, and did an experiment on was something called Ultra Sound. It’s a sound frequency too low for the human ear to pick up but has been proven to make people feel uneasy.

They did an experiment where they generated Infra Sound in an aircraft hanger and told a group it was haunted and to say where they felt uneasy… it was bang on where these sound waves were being generated.

Edited by Costock_Fox

6 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

One thing that Uncanny mentions, and did an experiment on was something called Ultra Sound. It’s a sound frequency too low for the human ear to pick up but has been proven to make people feel uneasy.

They did an experiment where they generated Ultra Sound in an aircraft hanger and told a group it was haunted and to say where they felt uneasy… it was bang on where these sound waves were being generated.

Yes I saw that, really enjoyed the show and I’ve listened to his podcasts as well. Don’t think it was ultra sound mind, just me and my mate freaking each other out lol  

• Haha 1

I had a good one a few weeks ago which may be explainable through cognitive processes.

I was laying in bed this weekend morning, facing towards the wall. My wife was on the other side and our dog was between us presumably getting some fussing in.

I drifted to sleep and immediately dreamt for a few seconds that I was looking through my dogs eyes. I could see the my snout and a hand travelling up it as if being stroked. A finger caught me in the eye and as I jolted awake I heard my wife say "oh, I'm sorry Molly".

I immediately asked her what happened and she told me she caught the dog in the eye whilst stroking her.

Super bizarre. I can only imagine that subconsciously heard it happen in my sleepy state, immediately dreamt the scenario before registering hearing the actual words said by my wife.

As you can only do with things you can't reconcile with generally accepted reality, I just brushed it off lol Can't say it didn't pop back into my mind a few times since though.

Edited by samlcfc

30 minutes ago, samlcfc said:

I had a good one a few weeks ago which may be explainable through cognitive processes.

I was laying in bed this weekend morning, facing towards the wall. My wife was on the other side and our dog was between us presumably getting some fussing in.

I drifted to sleep and immediately dreamt for a few seconds that I was looking through my dogs eyes. I could see the my snout and a hand travelling up it as if being stroked. A finger caught me in the eye and as I jolted awake I heard my wife say "oh, I'm sorry Molly".

I immediately asked her what happened and she told me she caught the dog in the eye whilst stroking her.

Super bizarre. I can only imagine that subconsciously heard it happen in my sleepy state, immediately dreamt the scenario before registering hearing the actual words said by my wife.

As you can only do with things you can't reconcile with generally accepted reality, I just brushed it off lol Can't say it didn't pop back into my mind a few times since though.

I’ll often go sleep at night listening to something off bbc sounds, a drama or something and quite often have some great dreams where I’m involved in them as they are playing in the background. 

• Like 1

Cleaners often have spooky tales to tell.

The cleaner at a day centre I used to work in would tell of the time she was going up the small staircase at the rear of the building, when she felt something was behind her. As she glanced down the staircase she felt a slight pull on her hand. She had a cigarette in that hand (smoking in workplaces was allowed back then) and as she looked at it, her fag glowed brighter as though someone was taking a drag.

Gulp!

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

1 hour ago, samlcfc said:

29 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

I’ll often go sleep at night listening to something off bbc sounds, a drama or something and quite often have some great dreams where I’m involved in them as they are playing in the background. 

Yep, I’ve done this before. I wasn’t very well as a kid and watched a Derren Brown show where he was doing tricks to win things at a fair…. I subsequently sleep walk, wake up my sister and convince her I’ve learnt a coin trick. I’m not sure what’s worse, me doing that or my sister actually believing that if learnt one and wanted to show her one in the middle of the night but needless to say I looked like a right twat when I came around trying to find a coin lol.

Sleep can be a very ****ed up thing.

• Haha 1

Same. I've been involved in numerous episodes of Uncanny or True Crime Garage in my sleep. Creepy as hell but leads to some wild, vivid dreams.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Cleaners often have spooky tales to tell.

The cleaner at a day centre I used to work in would tell of the time she was going up the small staircase at the rear of the building, when she felt something was behind her. As she glanced down the staircase she felt a slight pull on her hand. She had a cigarette in that hand (smoking in workplaces was allowed back then) and as she looked at it, her fag glowed brighter as though someone was taking a drag.

Gulp!

I know a cleaner and she told us a story about how hearing a door opening downstairs whilst she was cleaning upstairs, and whistling coming up from the ground floor and when she went to investigate there was nobody there, so just packed up and left there and then.

I didn't think it was anywhere near as scary as some of the stuff she's told us about actual alive men basically just being massive weirdos, including a bloke she was cleaning for and was never comfortable around being convicted for rape. Never occurred to me that being a cleaner could be dangerous in that way, but of course there people out there that will make it so

I'm not superstitious in the slightest but did once have a rather odd experience.

When I was very young one of my parents passed away. A few years later my other parent entered into what became a long term relationship and their partner effectively became a parent to me (who for the purposes of this story I'll refer to as my 'guardian') and my friends often referred to them by a parental title. Whilst I had previously disclosed the passing of one of my biological parent's to a few of my close friends when we were kids I never went into too much detail about them. 

Anyway, when I was around 18 I was out one night with a few friends absolutely smashed in town. Me and one of the lads who I'd known since secondary school but had become very close to in the subsequent years were propping up the bar.

He had just disclosed some very personal family information to me which he'd recently learnt and which had come as quite a shock and we were talking family matters. In trying to rationalise the situation in his mind he asked me how I'd feel if the same had occurred with my parent (guardian) however instead of using their name he used my biological parents name who I'd never mentioned to him. 

It stopped me dead in my tracks. Realising we were hammered and it could have just been a slip of the tongue I asked him to repeat what he had said, and again he used the same name, I then asked him who he was referring to and he looked at me really confused and said your parent 'x' (biological parents name). I then had to point out that the person who he knows as my parent went by the name of 'y'. 

I'll never forget that night, just seemed too coincidental that out of all of the names he could pick he happened to chose the exact same name as my biological parent (which was neither common nor remotely similar to my guardian), whilst then repeating it twice with such conviction that he thought I was on the wind up when I queried him about who he was referring to. It was a very odd occurrence which I have no logical explanation for. 

Edited by ian__marshall

When we used to live at the mrs parents house always seemed to be little things happening. There used to be a cot outside our bedroom and had to go past it every night to get to the room and I always caught my jeans button on my back pocket trying to squeeze past and then one night we head that noise as we where in bed looked out the bedroom door as there is no reason for any one to be there and there was no one there 
we used to look after my neice and a few times she has woken up facing the wall with her arms out to be picked up. 
And recently we where having dinner in the front room where they used to sit and her little niece who has just turned 1 was there having dinner and just started staring into the passage was and smiling and then looking at all of us. Then she was looking as if what ever she was looking at was walking towards the dinner table and then looked at a picture on the wall of my wife’s brother who had passed around 12 years ago looked back at what she was looking at then looked back at the photo smiling and pointing. Did creep my mrs out a bit but can imagine if it was her brother he would be laughing to himself seeing how shocked she was watching that 😂

Whenever I watch YouTube videos of our games last season, I always have nightmares in which Rodgers is a raptor with tiny arms, a stupid grin and a notepad, leaning over me saying: " get ready son, you'll be on with 12 minutes to go. Just do yer best but make sure you don't make any forward passes. Remember, a pass to Danny is always your best option. I'll just make a note of that so I can refer back to my notes to make sure I don't do anything positive".

Edited by Parafox

• 1 month later...