Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HybridFox

The Theatre Thread

Just thought it would be good to have some general chit-chat about plays you've been to see/planning to go to.

Went to see The Ocean at the end of the Lane at the Curve tonight which I thought was fantastic. The visuals were brilliant. The villain of the piece played by Charlie Brooks aka Janine from Eastenders.

In all honesty, seen some great productions at the Curve over the years that I don't feel the urge to go to the West End in London. Unless it's something niche like The Lion King, I'd rather wait and spend the money in Leicester

Edited by TK95
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The only thing I've seen at Curve was Green Day's American Idiot musical. It's a quality venue. 

Seen loads of stuff on the West End. Most recently Back To The Future which whilst the songs aren't massively memorable, it's an impressive spectacle. The DeLorean stuff is amazing. 

Did Rocky Horror for Halloween last year too. Fun.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bovril said:

Last thing I saw was the Seagull which I really liked but got like 1 star in some papers. My grlfriend is a Chekhov fanatic and she seemed to enjoy it. I think a filmed version of it is touring UK theatres atm. 

Was Emilia Clarke in that version? Seem to remember it being advertised 

Go to the theatre a lot and see a real mix of things

Since last summer we’ve been to 

Frozen - with the granddaughters 🙂 it cost a fortune but they loved it

The Glass Menagerie - Amy Adams 

Les Miserables - latest production was superb

The Nutcracker - Royal Opera House, wife’s treat as she loves the ballet 

Tomorrow night we are going to see Matthew Bourne’s Sleeping Beauty at Birmingham Hippodrome (more ballet)

Love live theatre, musicals and ballet as you, hopefully, see artists performing at their very best

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TK95 said:

Just thought it would be good to have some general chit-chat about plays you've been to see/planning to go to.

Went to see The Ocean at the end of the Lane at the Curve tonight which I thought was fantastic. The visuals were brilliant. The villain of the piece played by Charlie Brooks aka Janine from Eastenders.

In all honesty, seen some great productions at the Curve over the years that I don't feel the urge to go to the West End in London. Unless it's something niche like The Lion King, I'd rather wait and spend the money in Leicester

The full London production of The Lion King is on at Birmingham Hippodrome in the autumn this year. We are going on 2nd September so all the dates are obviously around that time. 

Don’t know what the ticket situation is at the mo but have a look and Birmingham centre is great for drinks/food before or after.

• Like 1

Not been for a few years. Last thing I saw was school of rock the musical with the family for my 40th in London. Which was really good.

But got tickets to see Chicago on boradway in march/April. Never watched the film tho so best squeeze that in before we go so I have some clue what's going on lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Book of Mormon and Hamilton are the 🐐s. Both exceptional.

Went to The Curve last Friday to watch The Ocean at the Bottom of the Lane last week, really enjoyed that.

Not really much of a musical fan at all, saw book of Mormon last year and it may have been the funniest, most joy filled 2 hours of my life. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Not really much of a musical fan at all, saw book of Mormon last year and it may have been the funniest, most joy filled 2 hours of my life. 

Madness isn’t it. I’ve seen it 3x, literally crying with laughter for about 2 hours on the first watch.

• Like 1

Got the bug for the Ballet and Opera a couple of years before Covid and went to quite a few performances at the ROH.

Used to get half decent seats in the Ampitheatre but like everything prices seem to have creeped up so the reasonable seats are now a little more that I want to pay, throw in the train strikes and increased hotel prices and i've stopped looking.

Really looking forward to going to the Curve to see Girl from the North Country next month, haven't been since seeing Les Mis a few years ago, got seated behind someone quite tall in the stalls and spent the whole time looking round their head. I love Les Mis but It kind of ruined it for me a little.

• Like 1

Saw The Wizard of Oz over Christmas at The Curve.  A little rough around the edges but was decent enough.  Will need some polish before it heads down to London this summer.

As for London shows, you will not see a better production than Frozen.  Absolutely superb - the best live theatre I have ever seen and I've seen a fair few.  Tops the lot though imo.

• Like 1

The quality of plays at the Curve has not reached its peak pre-Covid. However, this is not the theatres fault necessarily. Pre-Covid, standouts were Pitmen Painters, What the Butler Saw, One Man Two Guvnors. Ladykillers was decent but not outstanding. Disappointed in Ian Hislop’s the Wipers Times. Memoirs of an Asian football casual was very good, feel it deserves a tv series though and it would be more suited to this format.

As for musicals, Cabaret was outstanding. Wizard of OZ was good, but not great this year. 

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, TK95 said:

Really enjoyed Mother Goose at the Curve. Although a panto, there were 99% adults there lol

Great to see Sir Ian McKellan on stage and I thought John Bishop did particularly well. Lots of comedy

We are going on Sunday at the Curve.

Mrs wanted to go and i wasnt that keen but reading loads of great reviews so glad she did.

Might even take her to Maccy D's after for Mothers day on behalf of the kids!

• Like 1

On 10/02/2023 at 16:00, Legend_in_blue said:

Saw The Wizard of Oz over Christmas at The Curve.  A little rough around the edges but was decent enough.  Will need some polish before it heads down to London this summer.

As for London shows, you will not see a better production than Frozen.  Absolutely superb - the best live theatre I have ever seen and I've seen a fair few.  Tops the lot though imo.

I thought it was great, and I'm not really a Wizard of Oz kind of guy generally

On 10/02/2023 at 16:00, Legend_in_blue said:

Better than Lion King?