Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

How Would You Measure Success In Life?

8 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

44 minutes ago, Benguin said:

The reason for this is so obvious to me but will get me banned and annoy everyone so I’ll keep quiet. 

I think people with these views should really challenge themselves from both an epistemological stand point and a soteriological stand point by asking themselves “why do I think that?” “What does it mean?” “Does it matter?” And “So what?” 

8 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

What is the reason? It’s certainly not obvious to me. I have many other things to get annoyed about so won’t get annoyed at a comment on an online football forum 

Religion and all that...

You need to have read the many previous posts by @Benguinon various forums to understand where he's coming from whether you agree with him or not. He still makes a point relevant to him. As we all do.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 3

At the moment, I feel like I'd like to learn something academic to a decent level. In order that I can both know something about the world in which we live, and to hopefully do something fulfilling within society if possible.

During my life, I'd also like to have spent plenty of time seeing natural wonders. Get some good time in the mountains under my belt.

Edited by samlcfc
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, samlcfc said:

At the moment, I feel like I'd like to learn something academic to a decent level. In order that I can both know something about the world in which we live, and to hopefully do something fulfilling within society if possible.

During my life, I'd also like to have spent plenty of time seeing natural wonders. Get some good time in the mountains under my belt.

• Haha 2

I have been what I would call successful in life By giving and hosting charity events and being as helpful as possible to as many people as possible. I don’t have a nice car or my own big house but that also means I have no Crazy Debts crippling my life choices. 
my main success is having children that others compliment me on regularly. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

That's complete bollox

Haha - I didn’t mean it as anything negative. 

The question you asked was about measuring success. I think you can measure it as you go along in life, in stages.
And then again at the end, when you’re drawing your final breaths. 

That final stage is more likely to be ‘I did ok, I wasn’t a dick to people, I was reasonably kind, passed on good values, etc. 

But in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, it may be more unromantic and more prosaic. ‘I achieved materialistic x, y and z’ is probably a more commonplace metric. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoxSince88 said:

I have been what I would call successful in life By giving and hosting charity events and being as helpful as possible to as many people as possible. I don’t have a nice car or my own big house but that also means I have no Crazy Debts crippling my life choices. 
my main success is having children that others compliment me on regularly. 

Your last sentence represents the greatest achievement/challenge you can have in your entire life!..

Well done you for achieving that!

9 hours ago, Milo said:

So, the happy clappy ‘be a good person’ type answers on here…

Is that a measurement of success?

Is that contentment?

Is it just the bare minimum that we should all be aspiring to? 

Is there a difference for some between contentment and perceived success? 

For me, the ‘I was a good person/did good things/was kind to others, etc’ answer is more a deathbed reflection rather than an ongoing measurement of success. 

Or…is that the only true time to measure success?

Questions, questions 

Yeah, most of the time it is.

However, once it gets to that stage it's rather too late to do much, so keeping a running score, as it were, isn't the worst idea.

6 hours ago, Benguin said:

The reason for this is so obvious to me but will get me banned and annoy everyone so I’ll keep quiet. 

I think people with these views should really challenge themselves from both an epistemological stand point and a soteriological stand point by asking themselves “why do I think that?” “What does it mean?” “Does it matter?” And “So what?” 

Interesting questions.

Speaking purely for myself:

- because I place a greater value on the future than the past (and roughly equal to the present). I think that because the future is something we have the power to actually change, and I think that because there is numerous examples of people doing exactly that - making the future a better place for everyone (and themselves), in a small or big way.

- Everyone's answer to that will be different, meaning comes from within, not without. Take this topic, for instance.

- As a human (and not a nihilist), human life matters to me, so preserving it and making it better in the future does.

And...

- So bugger off and start helping.

In that order. :)

2 hours ago, weller54 said:

Your last sentence represents the greatest achievement/challenge you can have in your entire life!..

Well done you for achieving that!

I'm not sure bringing more humans into a world where population needs to be drawn down to a stable level (and yes, on the above, that's important for our species as a whole, too many humans does = population crash eventually), regardless of how well-complimented they are (which is of course a good thing) ranks as the greatest achievement in life, or even in the top 10, but of course YMMV.

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, most of the time it is.

However, once it gets to that stage it's rather too late to do much, so keeping a running score, as it were, isn't the worst idea.

Interesting questions.

Speaking purely for myself:

- because I place a greater value on the future than the past (and roughly equal to the present). I think that because the future is something we have the power to actually change, and I think that because there is numerous examples of people doing exactly that - making the future a better place for everyone (and themselves), in a small or big way.

- Everyone's answer to that will be different, meaning comes from within, not without. Take this topic, for instance.

- As a human (and not a nihilist), human life matters to me, so preserving it and making it better in the future does.

And...

- So bugger off and start helping.

In that order. :)

I'm not sure bringing more humans into a world where population needs to be drawn down to a stable level (and yes, on the above, that's important for our species as a whole, too many humans does = population crash eventually), regardless of how well-complimented they are (which is of course a good thing) ranks as the greatest achievement in life, or even in the top 10, but of course YMMV.

Interesting that you think meaning comes from within yet are so active in the realm of debating others on issues (particularly environmental issues)   

31 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Interesting that you think meaning comes from within yet are so active in the realm of debating others on issues (particularly environmental issues)   

It's an interesting dichotomy, isn't it?

I try to balance that diversity of thought and meaning with the knowledge that on some topics, there *has* to be unity of thought and action for essential success - or at least as close as we can get.

Anyhow, perhaps we need a general philosophy thread for all this rather than here.

A job. A career. A family. A ****ing big television. Washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Fixed interest mortgage repayments. A starter home. My friends. Leisurewear and matching luggage. A three-piece suit on hire purchase in a range of ****ing fabrics. DIY and wondering who the **** I am on Sunday morning. Sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing ****ing junk food into my mouth. Rotting away at the end of it all, pishing my last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ****ed up brats I spawned to replace myself...

Edited by ClaphamFox

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

A job. A career. A family. A ****ing big television. Washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Fixed interest mortgage repayments. A starter home. My friends. Leisurewear and matching luggage. A three-piece suit on hire purchase in a range of ****ing fabrics. DIY and wondering who the **** I am on Sunday morning. Sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing ****ing junk food into my mouth. Rotting away at the end of it all, pissing my last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ****ed up brats I spawned to replace myself...

......parklife?

Shit, wrong reference.

• Haha 1

I reject the term success as much as I do failure. In order for either to have validity you need a comprehensive measure, and one does not exist. That people invent ridiculous ways to prove the value of their life demonstrates the pointlessness of the process.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

I reject the term success as much as I do failure. In order for either to have validity you need a comprehensive measure, and one does not exist. That people invent ridiculous ways to prove the value of their life demonstrates the pointlessness of the process.

I'm saving that for when I'm stood by the burial pit, facing the firing squad, and even then I'm pretty confident I'll be able to get out of that by telling them I'm Bellend Sebastian, you know, off the internet, 77 followers on Twitter etc

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm saving that for when I'm stood by the burial pit, facing the firing squad, and even then I'm pretty confident I'll be able to get out of that by telling them I'm Bellend Sebastian, you know, off the internet, 77 followers on Twitter etc

Honestly, I don’t think the NHS will get that bad. I’m sure they’ll still provide the regular treatment for haemorrhoids. 

• Haha 1