Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BenTheFox

Countries that you've visited

8 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I count 41 countries in 60 years - must do better!

That doesn't include airport transfers in Bangkok & Rio (saw Thai paddy fields & Christ the Redeemer statue from plane window - surely that should count? :whistle:)

Can't be arsed to do a  list but basically....West/South Europe, Morocco, USA, Central America (except El Salvador), Andean countries, Aus/NZ.

Rarities:

- Yugoslavia, as it still was when I visited (Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia & North Macedonia as now is - I wasn't in Bosnia, Montenegro or Kosovo)

- Belize

- Bolivia

- Andorra

Would be curious to visit Liechtenstein - anyone been there?

I wonder which countries nobody on FT has visited? North Korea? Somalia? Kiribati or other South Pacific island nations? :dunno:

I'm not sure if he is on FoxesTalk but I know a guy from my Bochum trips who has been to North Korea. He's the most well-travelled person I know by some distance. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...does the partition between South and North Korean territory count?

Did that at Panmunjeom.

Unless BenTheFox's mate is on FT, I suspect you've come closest to North Korea, so you win the competition.

Please report to Pyongyang to claim your prize: dinner for two with Kim Jong-Un or a night out clubbing with his delectable sister (probably clubbing people, I imagine).

15 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I count 41 countries in 60 years - must do better!

That doesn't include airport transfers in Bangkok & Rio (saw Thai paddy fields & Christ the Redeemer statue from plane window - surely that should count? :whistle:)

Can't be arsed to do a  list but basically....West/South Europe, Morocco, USA, Central America (except El Salvador), Andean countries, Aus/NZ.

Rarities:

- Yugoslavia, as it still was when I visited (Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia & North Macedonia as now is - I wasn't in Bosnia, Montenegro or Kosovo)

- Belize

- Bolivia

- Andorra

Would be curious to visit Liechtenstein - anyone been there?

I wonder which countries nobody on FT has visited? North Korea? Somalia? Kiribati or other South Pacific island nations? :dunno:

Been to a very small part of the South Pacific - Cook Islands, Samoa & Tonga.

• Like 1

Go on then, it's been a while since I've been anywhere so I've not thought about my list for a while:

England 

N. Ireland 

Scotland

Wales 

Rep. Ireland 

France 

Netherlands

Belgium 

Germany 

Italy 

Spain 

Portugal

Andorra 

Denmark 

Sweden

Norway 

Iceland

Austria 

Czechia

Slovakia 

Poland 

Turkey

Greece 

Malta 

Egypt 

Sri Lanka 

Thailand 

Laos 

Malaysia 

Cambodia 

Vietnam

Singapore

Brunei 

Hong Kong (China)

Japan 

Australia

New Zealand

Fiji 

Chile 

Argentina

Uruguay 

Paraguay 

Bolivia

Peru 

Panama 

Costa Rica 

Nicaragua

USA 

Canada 

I think that's everywhere 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Amazing. I wanted to do NZ when I was in Aus but not enough time to do both places properly. I will get to NZ and do some of the Islands in one go.

That's exactly what I did, been to NZ twice and finished each trip with a week out on the islands.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

What’s everyone’s favourite?

Costa Rica or Peru. South America is something else, so much energy and uncoordinated chaos, brilliant. Going to Mexico and Colombia later in the year and hoping for the same.

1 minute ago, oakman said:

That's exactly what I did, been to NZ twice and finished each trip with a week out on the islands.

That sounds class mate, very very VERY jealous.

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

I didn't include airport transfers on mine. If so I'd include the United Arab Emirates. It doesn't feel right claiming that I visited the country based on a few hours in Dubai airport. 

I count if I've flown over them :ph34r:

7 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Pretty much every place I've been to has had something to recommend it, though seeing as I've lived in the place for 9 years and counting I would likely say Korea.

Has anyone else visited there yet? Haven't seen it on anyone's lists but I think I have talked with a couple of folks on here who have.

23 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

18 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

It's probably either Jordan and Thailand for me. 

I love going to Germany though and Greece is always nice. I hope to more South-East Asia and South America. 

5 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Norway for beauty.

Germany for all round fun and lifestyle.

Actually Norway is a shout too. The Fjords are incredible. 

Think this is in order...

1. England
2. Wales
3. France
4. Switzerland
5. Italy
6. Belgium
7. Germany
8. Czechia
9. Barbados
10. Netherlands
11. Croatia
12. Republic of Ireland
13. Spain
15. Denmark
15. Portugal
16. Northern Ireland
17. Poland
18. Hungary
19. Austria
20. Slovakia
21. Sweden
22. Monaco
23. Saint Lucia

I've also set foot on Canadian soil at the Vimy Ridge memorial in France but no way I'd contemplate counting that.

15 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Costa Rica or Peru. South America is something else, so much energy and uncoordinated chaos, brilliant. Going to Mexico and Colombia later in the year and hoping for the same.

When I made my extended trip through Latin America (admittedly 30+ years ago), those were my 2 favourite countries - particularly for the friendly, outgoing nature of the people.

Met a few nutters in both places (though not as many as in Bolivia, where they really liked their liquor), but friendly nutters.

The Colombians, in particular, had an awareness  of the country's bad reputation for crime, drugs & violence, so everyday folk seemed to want to counteract that with their friendliness.

• Like 2

I'm in my forties, but I never went backpacking or anything like that when I was younger, and I don't think of myself as well travelled at all. That said, my list isn't that bad:

England

Ireland (Republic and Northern)

Scotland

Wales

France 

Spain

Germany

Greece

Italy

USA 

Holland

Sweden

Switzerland

Denmark

Norway

Hong Kong

Malaysia

Favourites are probably France, USA and Hong Kong (which I really liked, but I was there before the political situation deteriorated - I don't know if I would want to go back now, sadly). 

3 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I will be at 55 in a few weeks once I land in Azerbaijan. From your list, Jordan is the one I have not done but want to do most. Vatican City definitely counts. @fuchsntf is the man for this thread. 

Canada 
USA 
Costa Rica
Panama
Peru

Brazil

Tunisia
Rwanda
Uganda
Zambia
Zimbabwe
Botswana
Namibia

South Africa

England
Scotland
Wales
NI
Ireland
Sweden 
Norway
Denmark
Portugal
Spain
Gibraltar
France
Belgium
Holland
Germany
Switzerland
Italy
Vatican City
Poland
Czech Republic
Romania
Greece
Ukraine
Russia
Albania
Macedonia
Austria
Channel Islands

Hungary

Uzbekistan
UAE
Oman
Bahrain
India
Thailand
Cambodia
Malaysia
Singapore

Borneo

Australia

Thanks for the call…
great spread,and to be honest,I never chased or marked up all the countries,that I tread a path ,many I worked & tramped. I reckon some interesting countries I havent

done like Uzbekistan, touched Russia but never really seen any tourist trap.

Worked many in Africa,but also many I didn’t…

Envious of people who „stayed“ longer in Japan and took on the society ( ditto elsewhere) Yes had simular long experiences in Nigeria,Mexico,Belgium, India,Nepal, Spain ,short in Japan.Loved gud ol‘ USA,but never a country I would of brought up my family,where others like ones mentioned I was tempted. Germany was where my rolling stone eventually settled. Even with my German wife,it wasn’t a must, it just happened.

For me… I had Polish friends who had a booklet,where they could mark up all the hikes & treks over a particular distance & height..Or friends who rushed the Grand Canyon, just to get a stamp..

Again for me ,it’s what you take back,in spirit and memories then also target in the many or even few lands one visits..Bloody stamped book, not taking or enjoying the

trails themselves…

Its the same has holidays,besides dropping the stress, do you open your eyes and highs, to the flamenco of Andulusia,steps & fountains of Rome, Stags in Peak Districts or Scotland,forget your home comforts to enjoy sleeping with/without family under the stars, look a wild Tiger,Elephant in the eyes.Spend time eat drink with the locals.or Teach & learn from tribesman.

Beacause there ( where ever)  even for a short time you might find paradise..

Same story through life..quality not quantity…and your travelling companions,short or long..

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

I was thinking about answering, then I started to give it some solid thought…

In my case…Every single one of them on anyone’s large spread list, the experience at that particular moment, all begin & sometimes end in unique experiences,that you haven’t stepped into before…whether 2 days or 2+years..

• Like 1

Bit showy-offy maybe (?), but:

England

Scotland

Wales

Both Irelands

Germany

Austria

France

Netherlands

Belgium

Hungary

Italy

Greece

Spain

Portugal

Croatia

Slovenia

Slovakia

Czech Republic (and Czechoslovakia)!

Switzerland

Poland

Latvia

Estonia

Russia

Finland

Sweden

Norway

Denmark

Iceland

Turkey

Algeria

Morocco

Tunisia

Egypt

Ghana

Gabon

South Africa

India

Sri Lanka

Thailand

China

Hong Kong

Philippines

Indonesia

Malaysia

Japan

Australia

New Zealand

Argentina

Chile

Brazil

Peru

Colombia

Venezuela

Cuba

Mexico

Bahamas

Jamaica

Barbados

St Lucia

Grenada 

T&T

Curacao

Aruba

Bonaire

Caymans

USA

Canada

And that's about it  :frantics: 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I was thinking about answering, then I started to give it some solid thought…

In my case…Every single one of them on anyone’s large spread list, the experience at that particular moment, all begin & sometimes end in unique experiences,that you haven’t stepped into before…whether 2 days or 2+years..

I dunno....Santorini was unbelievably sh1t, soulless and generic, wish I hadn't have parted with the time and money. Unique experience for sure, one of total sh1t.

You do wonder how good some of these Greek Islands were before the armies of tourists looking for their bland template McDonald's beach holidays piled in....

10 minutes ago, Milo said:

Bit showy-offy maybe (?), but:

England

Scotland

Wales

Both Irelands

Germany

Austria

France

Netherlands

Belgium

Hungary

Italy

Greece

Spain

Portugal

Croatia

Slovenia

Slovakia

Czech Republic (and Czechoslovakia)!

Switzerland

Poland

Latvia

Estonia

Russia

Finland

Sweden

Norway

Denmark

Iceland

Turkey

Algeria

Morocco

Tunisia

Egypt

Ghana

Gabon

South Africa

India

Sri Lanka

Thailand

China

Hong Kong

Philippines

Indonesia

Malaysia

Japan

Australia

New Zealand

Argentina

Chile

Brazil

Peru

Colombia

Venezuela

Cuba

Mexico

Bahamas

Jamaica

Barbados

St Lucia

Grenada 

T&T

Curacao

Aruba

Bonaire

Caymans

USA

Canada

And that's about it  :frantics: 

Good lord, that's impressive. 

1 minute ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I dunno....Santorini was unbelievably sh1t, soulless and generic, wish I hadn't have parted with the time and money. Unique experience for sure, one of total sh1t.

You do wonder how good some of these Greek Islands were before the armies of tourists looking for their bland template McDonald's beach holidays piled in....

Especially depressing when you consider how wonderful Greek food is too. When Rick Stein did a Greece special he had a pretty epic rant about how depressing it is seeing the amount English or English inspired bars and restaurants. Part of getting older is realising how much you enjoy watcing Rick Stein. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

We have our Blackpool,Reeperbahn,Brightons…Ballermans, why shouldn’t the Greeks..
They also have some beautiful reflective quiet spots,or just simple tourist faire,but still no outside influences. Like many a Western  southern European country.

Getting swamped by refugees in some places in Italy,Greece etc also ain’t helping.

Just an observation,no discrimination intended..

Edited by fuchsntf

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Colombia.

Shades of green that just don't exist anywhere else in the world. Mountain tops to jungles to deserts to city centres, the entire nation beats with a vibrancy like no other. Food, football and festivals feed a national psyche; fuelled by rum, aguardiente and music. Tropical islands, Caribbean beaches, Amazonian forest. Everything together with "the most laws in the world", (most of which nobody pays the slightest bit of attention to or finds a way to circumvent).

I never wanted to leave and would live back there in a heartbeat if the wife said 'yes'.

• Like 2